Login Search

Lakers Might Not Get Lonzo Ball After All

Last Post

Default Lakers Might Not Get Lonzo Ball After All

Perhaps Lonzo Ball shouldn’t plan on wearing the Purple and Gold just yet.

It has long been assumed that the Los Angeles Lakers will select the UCLA product with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, but it appears the storied franchise has a few concerns about the star point guard, and they aren’t the only ones.

Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders reported Wednesday that the Lakers might pass on Ball unless he wows them during his predraft workout.

“With reports surfacing that the LA Lakers and former UCLA guard Lonzo Ball have finalized the details of a workout and face to face meeting in LA next week, there is a growing sense that unless Lonzo absolutely blows the doors off, he may not be the Lakers’ guy,” Kyler wrote. “The Lakers are weeks away from needing to make their final decision, but there are many that believe the Lakers could go after both Kansas forward Josh Jackson and Kentucky guard De’Aaron Fox … with the second overall pick.”

Jordan Schultz of The Huffington Post later reported the Lakers would pass on Ball if the draft were today, and one of their biggest concerns is Ball’s loud-mouthed father, LaVar Ball.

The Lakers will have a bevy of options with the second pick in the draft. The Boston Celtics own the No. 1 selection and likely will take Washington guard Markelle Fultz, but that will leave the Lakers with a star-studded board of potential NBA All-Stars, including Fox, Jackson, Ball and Duke forward Jayson Tatum.

http://nesn.com/2017/06/nba-rumors-l...avar-ball/amp/

LaVar Ball has said a lot — a lot — of ridiculous things recently, most of them harmless. But the key question that keeps being brought up on sports talk radio shows and social media is whether Ball’s outspokenness could affect his son’s draft stock.

Up until now, we had no evidence that it was a factor for NBA teams. Comments from Jerry Colangelo, special adviser to the 76ers, might have proved it is.

Here’s a quote from Colangelo given on the Carlin and Reese radio show on 94WIP in Philadelphia:

I think Ball is a terrific prospect and could have an outstanding NBA future. I think it's going to be challenging with the people around him, without being specific. And yet, I don't think teams should bypass the player because they have those concerns. At the end of the day, what wins in this league is talent, and this is a very talented young man.

The key tidbit there is, of course, Colangelo saying, “It’s going to be challenging with the people around him.” Colangelo says he isn’t getting specific, but it’s obvious he’s talking about his father, at least in part.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/4...o-76ers-lakers

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
They want no part of father sitting behind the bench and screaming at the coach!!!
I agree with this. I don't think bringing this guy to any NBA team will help in all aspects of the game. Kid looks like he's just out to be RICH. Doesn't look like a total athlete. I never liked the kid to begin with.

If Popovich had this kid on his squad... he'd rip this kid a new a$$hole... kid isn't a team player. Anyone who thinks he is... is full of sh#$.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
I agree with this. I don't think bringing this guy to any NBA team will help in all aspects of the game. Kid looks like he's just out to be RICH. Doesn't look like a total athlete. I never liked the kid to begin with.

If Popovich had this kid on his squad... he'd rip this kid a new a$$hole... kid isn't a team player. Anyone who thinks he is... is full of sh#$.
Did he bang your sister too? How do you know that he isn't a team player? He is a 19 year old kid who is pretty soft spoken. He sees the court better than most NBA stars. His slow first step is the thing I would be concerned about if I'm an NBA exec, not his loud father.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
Did he bang your sister too? How do you know that he isn't a team player? He is a 19 year old kid who is pretty soft spoken. He sees the court better than most NBA stars. His slow first step is the thing I would be concerned about if I'm an NBA exec, not his loud father.
You say the most retarded sh#$.

I promise you... no Championship caliber team needs his sh#$.