New York Rangers @ Toronto Maple Leafs
According to NHL betting odds Toronto is a -135 money line home favorite and the posted total is 5.0. The home team has won the last 4 meetings between these teams. These clubs have seen 6 of their last 8 meetings in Toronto go under the total.
Toronto is currently 4th in the Atlantic division, and they’re 9-points behind the 1st place Boston Bruins. The Leafs are 5th overall in the Eastern Conference. The Rangers enter tonight tied with the New Jersey Devils for 4th in the Metropolitan Division, just 2-points behind the 3rd place Philadelphia Flyers, and 4-points behind the 2nd place Washington Capitals. The Rangers are 10th overall in the Eastern Conference.
The Rangers come off a 5-2 loss at Pittsburgh last night. They fell behind 4-0 after 2 periods, and then had a mild rally cutting the deficit to 4-2 with a little over 8-minutes to play. The Penguins then proceeded to score less than 2-minutes later to put the game away. Despite the loss the Rangers have won 10 of their last 14-games on the road. This will be the 5th and final game of a 9-day road trip that’s seen them go 2-2 thus far. The Rangers have gone 35-17 in their last 52-games when playing with no rest.
Inside the Rangers Numbers
- The Rangers are 36-12 the last 3 seasons versus team that allow opponents to convert better than 19% of their power play opportunities on the season.
- The Rangers are 9-3 on the road this season versus opponents that allow an average of 29.5 or more shots on goal.
- The Rangers are 45-20 the last 3 seasons versus opponents that allow an average of 2.85 or more goals per game.
Toronto enters tonight riding a 3-game winning streak following a 3-2 overtime shootout win at Detroit on New Year’s Day. That marked the 5th time in the last 6-games that a game has been decided in the overtime shootout session for Toronto. The Leafs have earned 10 of 12-points possible over their last 6-games. They’ve also hunkered down defensively allowing 2-goals or less during regulation time in 5 of those 6-games. Toronto continues to be dead last in the NHL allowing an average of 36.4 shots on goal by their opponents. Toronto’s power play is among the league’s finest converting on 22% of their opportunities, which is 5th best in the NHL. Toronto has been solid at the Air Canada Centre this season going 14-9 versus the money line.
Inside the Leafs Numbers
- The Leafs have gone under the total in 7 of 8-games the last 3 seasons following a 3-game winning streak.
- The Leafs have gone over the total in all 6-games this year when playing with same season revenge. There was an average of 7.2 goals per game combined scored in those games.
- The Leafs have gone over the total in 13 of 17-games the last 3 seasons following a win in overtime.
- The Leafs have gone under the total in 7 of 8-games this season after winning 4 or 5 of their last 6-games.
- The Leafs are just 4-9 in their last 13-games versus an Eastern Conference opponent.
- The Leafs are 13-6 in their last 19-games played on a Saturday.
NHL Betting System
Play against any home team of between -100 to -150 on the money line, that’s playing with same season revenge from a road loss, and is coming off a 1-goal win versus a division opponent. By playing against the home team in that situation you would be 95-65 since the beginning of the 1996-1997 year.We'll back the Rangers for our NHL picks tonight after considering those stats.
Free Pick: Rangers +115 over the Maple Leafs