Ottawa Senators (8-14) @ Carolina Hurricanes (8-14)
According to NHL betting odds Carolina is a -110 money line home favorite and the posted total is 5.5. These two clubs have seen their last 5 meetings all go under the total. The home team has won 17 of the last 21-games in this series. Carolina has won 9 of their last 10 home games versus Ottawa.
Trying to Regain Last Season’s Form
The Ottawa Senators were a pleasant surprise a season ago far exceeding expectations. They qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and then upset the Montreal Canadians in the first round, before being eliminated in the Eastern Conference Semifinals by the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, the start to this season has been on the opposite end of the spectrum. The expectations were high entering the year, and so far to this point, the team has been a disappointment. On a positive note they come off an impressive 4-2 road win at Detroit yesterday. The Senators 23-year old Erik Karlsson continues to impress. Karlsson is blossoming into one of the league’s top defensemen, and leads the Senators in scoring with 24-points in the first 22-games.
Inside the Senators Numbers
- The Senators are just 2-8 in their last 10 after allowing 2-goals or less in their previous game.
- The Senators are 0-4 in their last 4-games when playing with no rest.
- The Senators are 5-2 in the last 7 when playing their 4th game in 6 days.
- The Senators are just 3-7 in the last 10 following a win.
- The Senators have gone over the total in just 4 of their last 17 after a game in which they allowed their opponent 8 power plays chances or more.
- The Senators have gone over the total in just 14 of their last 51-games after allowing 2-goals or less in their previous game.
- The Senators have gone over the total in just 3 of their last 17-games when playing their 4th game in the last 6 days.
- The Senators have gone under the total in 5 of their last 6 road games.
Where’s the Offense?
The Carolina Hurricanes have really struggled to generate any offense this season. They’re currently 29th in the NHL averaging just 1.9 goals per game, and only the Buffalo Sabres are worse. The Hurricanes have scored 3-goals or more in a game in just 6 of their first 22-games, including only twice in their last 14 contests. Carolina enters tonight having lost 4-games in a row, and will be playing their 3rd game in 4 days. They lost a heart breaker 3-2 in overtime yesterday at the TD Garden in Boston at the hands of the Bruins.
Inside the Hurricanes Numbers
- The Hurricanes are 10-27 in their last 37-games versus Eastern Conference opponents.
- The Hurricanes are 2-9 in their last 11 when playing their 3rd game in 4 days.
- The Hurricanes are 2-10 in their last 12 home games versus an opponent with a losing record.
- The Hurricanes are 6-21 in their last 27 versus an opponent that allowed 2-goals or less in their previous game.
- The Hurricanes have gone over the total in just 1 of their 13 home games this season.
- The Hurricanes have gone over the total in 5 of their last 7-games when playing with no rest.
- The Hurricanes have seen just 5 of their last 26-games go under the total versus an Atlantic Division opponent.
In a battle of two teams that have struggled to get it going this season something has to give. The Senators have actually played better on the road this season than at home which is a NHL oddity. I also firmly believe that Ottawa has a much bigger upside than Carolina, and is more likely to turn things around as the season progresses in comparison to tonight’s opponent. My NHL picks lean here goes to the road team in this spot.
Free Pick: Ottawa +100 over Carolina