Edmonton Oilers (4-14) @ Chicago Blackhawks (11-6)
According to NHL betting odds Chicago is a -270 money line favorite and the posted total is 5.5. These two clubs have seen 7 of their last 9 meetings go over the total.
Desperate and Dismal
The Oilers put together their only 2-game winning streak of the season at Montreal and at Ottawa during the 3rd week of October. Sandwiched between those 2 wins was a 1-7 start to the season, and going 1-7 in their last 8-games entering tonight. Tonight will be the final game of a 4-game in 6-day road trip for the Oilers. They were 4-2 losers at Philadelphia on Saturday making them 1-2 on the road swing. Despite the plethora of offensively skilled players at their disposal the Oilers have scored 2 goals or less in 5 of their last 6, and 6 of their last 8-games. The Oilers have given every opportunity to Devan Dubnyk to be their franchise goaltender and to this point he’s failed miserably. Dubnyk is 3-8 this season with a large 3.82 GAA and a horrible .878 save percentage.
Inside the Oilers Numbers
- The Oilers are just 19-41 in their last 60-games overall.
- The Oilers are a dismal 14-37 in their last 51-games versus an opponent with a winning record on the money line.
- The Oilers are a horrible 41-101 in their last 142 road games.
- The Oilers are 27-77 in their last 104 road games versus an opponent with a winning record on the money line.
- The Oilers are 15-36 in their last 51-games when playing their 3rd game in 4-days.
- The Oilers are 23-50 in their last 73-games when playing their 4th game in 6-days.
- The Oilers have gone under the total in 5 of their last 6-games when playing with no rest.
- The Oilers have gone over the total in just 7 of their last 28 when playing their 4th game in 6-days.
Stay on top of your Free NHL Picks all season long at the Hockey Home Page~
Give Me Your Best Shot
The defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks have taken on all challengers and looked them straight in the eye. The Hawks have earned at least 1-point of 15 of their 17 games this season, and have lost just 2 of their first 17-games in regulation time. Their scoring depth has been apparent throughout the early part of the season, as they’re averaging 3.5 goals per game which is 2nd best in the NHL. It’s been no surprise that Corey Crawford has been solid in goal posting a 2.10 GAA, and .922 save percentage in 15 starts. In all likelihood it will be the 40-year old veteran Nikolai Khabibulin between the pipes tonight. Khabibulin has struggled in 3 starts this season posting a large 4.73 GAA, and a pathetic .818 save percentage. The Hawks enter tonight having won 5 of their last 6-games. They were a 5-2 winner at Dallas last night with Marian Hossa leading the way scoring a pair of goals.
NHL Totals Super System
- Any road team with a total of 5.5 that allowed 5 or more goals in their previous game, versus an opponent coming off 2 straight wins by 3 or more goals in each game has seen 57 of those 73-games (78.1%) go under the total since the beginning of the 1996-1997 season.