Dallas Stars (5-8) @ Ottawa Senators (4-9)
According to NHL betting odds the Senators are a -140 money line home favorite and the posted total is 5.5. Dallas has won 5 of the last 7 meetings played between these two clubs, and the last 8 games in Ottawa saw just 1 of those go over the total.
Check out the NHL Picks of the Day~
Ruff at Home and Lindy on the Road
New head coach Lindy Ruff has seen his Stars capture at least 1-point in 5 of their 6 home games. Unfortunately they’re off to a slow 2-5 start on the road. Dallas comes off a 3-2 home overtime shootout loss on Friday to the league leading Colorado Avalanche. The Stars rallied from a 2-0 third period deficit to tie the game and send it to overtime salvaging 1-point despite the loss. The loss was the Stars second in a row and 6th in their last 9-games. Highly touted Tyler Seguin has been rejuvenated after coming over in a offseason trade from Boston. The former #2 overall pick in the 2010 entry draft leads the Stars in scoring with 14-points through the first 13-games.
What is going on with the Blackhawks & Flames?
Recent Dallas Trends
- Dating back to last season the Stars have gone a dismal 5-13 in their last 18 road games.
- The Stars have lost 5 of their last 6 road games this season.
- The Stars are just 3-7 in the last 10-games when playing on exactly 1-day of rest.
- The Stars have gone under the total in just 7 of their last 26 on the road.
- The Stars have gone over the total in 4 of their last after allowing 5 or more goals in their previous contest.
The Underachieving Senators
After surprising a lot of the experts a season ago by qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, then proceeding to upset the #2 seed Montreal Canadians in the first round, the Senators have begun this season in a disappointing manner. They had an excuse for their 2-4 start to the year, since the first 6-games of the season were all on the road. However, their 1-4 start to the home schedule has been unacceptable to say the least. The Senators enter tonight having lost 5 in a row, and have allowed 5-goals or more in each of their last 3-games. On a positive note, backup goaltender Robin Lehner was magnificent in the 5-4 overtime shootout loss to the Islanders in their last game in stooping 53 of 57 shots on goal. Unfortunately his huge effort was wasted as the Senators blew a pair of 2-goal leads in the loss. Counting today Ottawa will play 5 of their next 6-games at home.
Recent Ottawa Trends
- The Senators have gone 16-35 in their last 51-games versus a Western Conference opponent.
- The Senators have gone over the total in just 9 of their last 42 home games.
- The Senators have gone under the total in just 7 of their last 27 games after allowing 5-goals or more in their previous contest.
The Senators have gone over the total for our NHL picks in their last 3-games with a combined average of 9.0 goals per contest scored. Ottawa is a respectable 12th in the NHL in scoring. However, the Senators are 27th in scoring defense, and are allowing an average of 38 shots on goal per game which is the highest in the NHL.
Dallas has been less than spectacular defensively as well allowing 3.0 goals per game, and 33 shots on goal against per contest. The Stars have seen 3 of their last 4 road games go over the total.
Free Pick: Dallas/Ottawa to go over the total of 5.5