A rather small slate of action on the ice, but we do end up with a contest on NBC this afternoon. This is good news for those who like to watch when doing NHL betting, though the matchup is not compelling.
With the game between the Steelers and Chiefs moved from afternoon to evening with expected ice storm, NBC has space to fill and essentially moved the Flyers at the Capitals into that time slot. At last look the NHL odds have Washington as prohibitive -240 money line favorites over Philadelphia. And why not, the Caps have reeled off eight straight wins and outscored the opposition 35-14, which includes a mind-blowing 31-6 when the teams are even strength.
As bad as New Jersey has been on the road at 7-18 SU, they have won three of four and are facing a Vancouver that continues to short-circuit on the power play, ranked 27th at only 13.7 percent conversion rate. While this should help the Devils, it is not exactly like they are equipped to take advantage of this for NHL picks, as they are 28th in man advantage situations at 13.3 percent. The Canucks are back home where they are 15-8 SU and are -125 favorites coming off 0-3 road trip.
Strangely enough, first meeting between division rivals Minnesota and Chicago this season. The Wild won all five games against the Blackhawks last season and something has to give. If you use win percentage in regulation, Chicago has the best home record in the NHL at 17-4-4, while Minnesota has the finest road record in the league at 13-5-5. Winner takes over Central Division lead.
Finally, St. Louis concludes difficult three games in four days road trip in California at Anaheim. The Blues are 1-1 and were sharp last night in 4-0 shutout at San Jose. The Ducks are flying high on 7-2 streak and if you read betting trends below, they have always played St. Louis well at home.
New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks 7:05 ET
- NEW JERSEY is 5-15 after scoring two goals or less in previous contest.
- VANCOUVER is 9-2 in home games playing against a team with a losing record this season.
- VANCOUVER is 6-2 when hosting New Jersey.
Minnesota Wild at Chicago Blackhawks 7:05 ET
- MINNESOTA has won nine of last 10 away encounters.
- CHICAGO is 8-1 of late playing with one day between games.
- CHICAGO has won 12 of 16 against Minnesota at home.
St. Louis Blues at Anaheim Ducks 9:05 ET
- ST. LOUIS has won nine of past 11 when playing without rest.
- ANAHEIM was won eight of last 10 home games.
- ST. LOUIS IS 6-20-1 when visiting Anaheim.