New York Rangers (9-9) @ Montreal Canadians (10-10)
According to NHL betting odds Montreal is a -130 money line home favorite and the posted total is set at 5.0. The scheduled starting goaltenders are Carey Price for Montreal and Cameron Talbot for the Rangers. The Canadians have defeated the Rangers in 10 of the last 11 meetings played in Montreal. The series between these two teams has seen none of the last 7-games go over the total.
Gathering Momentum in the Big Apple
After a 3-7 start to the season the Rangers have rebounded nicely by winning 6 of their last 8-games. You can attribute part of their slow start to the fact that they started the season by playing 9 consecutive road games. The Rangers have scored 4 or more goals in 4 of their last 6-games. That’s a very encouraging sign for a team that struggled to score goals early on. They’ve seen just 1 of their last 6-games go under the total. The “Blue Shirts” are a respectable 5-6 on the road this season versus the money line, including 3-0 in the last 3 in that role.
Inside the Rangers Numbers
- The Rangers are 6-1 in their last 7 versus Eastern Conference opponents.
- The Rangers are 4-0 in their last 4 after scoring 2-goals or less in their previous game.
- The Rangers have gone over the total in just 13 of their last 66-games played on a Saturday.
- The Rangers have gone over the total in just 14 of their last 51 road games.
- The Rangers are 52-24 the last 3 seasons versus opponents that allow an average of 29.5 or more shots on goal per game.
A Much Needed Win Last Night
The Canadians entered last night’s game at Columbus having lost 5 of their last 6-games. They came away with a much needed 3-2 overtime shootout win at Nationwide Arena, versus a Blue Jackets team that had lost 7 of their last 8 heading into last night. Peter Budaj received a rare start in goal for the Canadians, and was once again solid in improving his record to 3-1 on the year. In those 4 starts Budaj has posted an excellent 1.48 GAA and .945 save percentage. Carey Price will be back between the pipes tonight for Montreal. After a rocky start to the season Price has been sensational over the last few weeks. Montreal is 5th in the NHL allowing a paltry 2.1 goals per game. The Canadians special teams have performed very well this season. The power play is 3rd in the NHL converting a 23.7% of their chances. The penalty killing ranks 5th killing off 86.5% of power play chances by their opponents.
Inside the Canadians Numbers
- The Canadians are 9-1 in their last 10-games when playing with no rest.
- The Canadians have gone under the total in 14 of their 20-games this season.
- The Canadians have gone over the total in just 5 of their last 21-games when playing with no rest.
- The Canadians have gone over the total in just 1 of their last 6 home games.
- The Canadians have gone over the total in just 17 of their last 66-games played on a Saturday.
- The Canadians are 11-21 in the last 3 seasons when playing their 3rd game in 5-days.
- The Canadians have gone under the total in 33 of their 49-games the last 3 seasons when playing their 3rd game in 5-days.
The Rangers are clearly playing the better hockey of the two teams in the last couple of weeks. In addition Montreal will be playing with no rest following an overtime road win last night. However, the Rangers enter tonight with 3-days rest, and have played just 3-games over the last 9-days. My lean here goes to the road underdog.
Free Pick: Rangers +110 over the Canadians