The best team in the NHL right now and run away leaders in the North division head to Edmonton tonight in the second game of a 3 game series between 1st and 2nd in the North Division. Toronto won the first game with a 4-0 shutout on home ice in game one. The opening line for this match on NHL odds was Toronto -120.
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Edmonton Oilers
Monday, March 01, 2021 – 10:00 PM EST at Rogers Place
Toronto managed a 4-0 win over the Oilers even without star forward and top scorer this season, Austin Matthew. Matthews is day to day right now, but we could see him on the ice tonight. Their offense has been red hot this season and they are currently the 2nd best-ranked offense in the league. They are leading the North division by 6 points and have an extra game in hand on the Oilers. A win here would see them have an 8 point advantage, with a very possibly 10 point advantage with that game to spare.
Edmonton were on a hot streak of their own until they ran into the Leafs on Saturday night. That was their first shutout of the season and just the second time in 17 games they failed to score more than 3 times. The oilers had gone on a 5 game winning streak prior to that defeat. With that being said they have won 11 of their last 14 games in the NHL and will look for a bounce back tonight on home ice.
Trends should never be your main source of information when it comes to making your NHL betting picks, they are merely guidelines and mostly irrelevant information but nonetheless can be interesting to read.
Toronto Maple Leafs
- The total has gone under in 8 of Toronto’s last 11 games.
- Toronto are 7-1 in their last 8 games on the road.
- The Leafs are 13-3 in their previous 13 games against the Oilers.
- The Oilers are 5-2 in their last 7 games on home ice.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Oilers last 12 NHL games.
- The total has gone under in 7 of Edmonton's last 10 games against an opponent in the North conference.
What Are The Betting Odds and Current Lines?
- The Leafs opened up as -120 favorites on the moneyline and are currently best priced at -110 with Intertops.
- Edmonton are currently +100 with BetOnline, this is the number they opened up at on the NHL betting market.
- Toronto -1.5 on the puck line is currently +210, if you wish to take the Oilers +1.5 on the puck line, they are -250.
- The over/under opened up at 6.5 with the highest juice towards the under at -115. The line is still available at 6.5 and the best odds on the under is -104 with BetOnline (visit our BetOnline Review)
- The best odds on the over is also with BetOnline at -106.
The Leafs managed to keep out two of the highest scoring players in the NHL in the first game of the Series as they shutout the Oilers, the chances of shutting out Conor McDavid and Leona Draisaitl two games is a row is highly unlikely and the Oilers do have one of the best offenses in the NHL. Edmonton have been averaging 3.43 goals per game this season but have allowed 3.0 goals against.
The oilers on home ice this season have seen a 6-6 record and goaltender Mike Smith has seen an average of 4.21 goals against on home ice. He is the expected goaltender for the Oilers tonight. Toronto have gone 7-1-1 away from home so far this year.
The Oilers have had trouble keeping goals out of their net this season and we believe that could be their undoing again in this matchup. Whilst we expect them to score some goals tonight, ultimately their defense could let them down yet again. Take the Leafs to get the win tonight in this NHL game at -110.
All the stats and trends are leaning towards unders here and both teams have seen a lot of unders lately, but we believe we might get a glimpse of a high scoring game here, with the Oilers looking to bounce back with some goals and Toronto just scoring almost at will against this Edmonton defence.
Our side pick for this one is Toronto and over 6.5 at +245. Leafs backup Jack Campbell looks set to start again tonight, and although he shutout the Oilers last time out, we don’t expect him to this time around. Predicted score 5-3 Leafs.
NHL Side Pick: Toronto and Over 6.5 at +245 with Intertops
*The pick reflects the line at the moment the writer made the play, the odds at the beginning of this article show the live line movement. Since the lines might vary, don’t forget to refer back to our live odds.