Both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Winnipeg Jets play their final regular season game tonight, with not much left to play for who is looking to pickup a win before both teams head into the playoffs next week.
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Winnipeg Jets
Friday, May 14th, 2021 – 7pm EST at Bell MTS Place
Toronto come into their final regular season game as champions of the Canadian division, they will face the Montreal Canadians in the first round of the playoffs in a weeks’ time. The Leafs will be looking for a bounce back win here tonight following their 4-3 overtime loss in their last outing, but with this game being just a formality, how hard will they actually try? Mitch Marnier leads the Leafs with a total of 67 points this season, with Austin Matthews sitting one point behind him on 66. Leafs Captain, John Tavares is one goal shy of 20 goals on the season, he has hit a minimum of 20 goals since being a regular starter in the NHL and he should look to get on the scoreboard tonight.
The Winnipeg Jets haven’t been playing great over the previous ten games which has seen them only come away with two victories in those games. They did gain a little confidence last time out by beating the Vancouver Canucks 5-0. Tonight might be just about fine turning their team for their first playoff game against the Edmonton Oilers on May 19th.
Trends should never be your main source of information when it comes to making your NHL picks, they are merely guidelines and mostly irrelevant information, but nonetheless can be interesting to read.
Toronto Maple Leafs
- Toronto are 7-0 in their last 7 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg.
- The total has gone over in 7 of Toronto's last 10 games played on a Friday.
- Toronto are 13-7 in their last 20 games this season.
- The total has gone under in 4 of Winnipeg's last 5 games.
- Winnipeg are 1-7 in their last 8 games at home.
- The total has gone over in 13 of Winnipeg's last 20 games against Toronto.
What Are The Betting Odds and Current Lines?
- The Toronto Maple Leafs opened up the betting odds on the moneyline at -175 but have since drifted out to -155 with the best online sportsbooks.
- If you are looking to bet the Jets on the moneyline they opened up at +140 and haven’t moved much since, with the best NHL odds available at BetOnline at +142 (Visit our BetOnline Review).
- The Maple Leafs are +145 on the -1.5 puck line, and the Jets are coming in at a cool -175 for the +1.5 puck line, which is one of the best value plus handicaps we have seen for quite a while.
- The total opened up at 6.5 with the majority of the juice towards theunder at odds of -120, but the line has since moved to a 6.0 with BetOnline offering us -102 on the over and -110 with the under.
With this game having no implications on the final standings we believe we will see an unders game here. Neither team will want to put their bodies on the line or suffer any unnecessary injuries. The Leafs are projected to start goaltender Jack Campbell, who has been in stellar form this season with a record of 17-2-2 and a 923 save%. Campbell has also owned the Jets this season going 4-1 in his previous 5 starts against them.
Conor Hellebuyck seems to be the starting goaltender for the Jets tonight and he has had four shutouts to his name as well as a 1.65 goals against average thus far this season. Both teams will most likely rest some big name players or reduce their ice time for tonight’s game. Add to the fact that the Jets have been struggling to score as of late, with just an average of 2 goals per game across their previous 10 outings.
Look to take under 6.0 goals at -110 with BetOnline, if the game finished on 6 goals, we get a push. The Jets have seen the under hit in 80% of theirlast five games and we believe both teams will look to play slow and methodical hockey here.