The Bruins took Game 1 of the series with a 5-2 win last time out, aided by a David Pastrnak hat trick. The Islanders do have one of the best coaches in the league, what adjustments will he look to make ahead of this Game 2?
New York Islanders v Boston Bruins
Monday, April 31st, 2021 – 7.30 PM EST at TD Garden
The Boston Bruins totally dominated Game 1 of the series, the Islanders barely able to get the puck off their own blue line during the middle of the game. The Bruins had an expected goals of 3.27 against the Islanders 0.89 when both teams were equally strong and controlled the puck for two-thirds of the game. The Bruins also had 18 more shots than their opponents in the first game, and best sportsbooks imagine they'll outscore the Islanders in pretty much every game in the series.
The Penguins scored early goals in both Games 5 and 6 and Islanders goaltender, Ilya Sorkin was able to bounce back and shut them down. Unfortunately he struggled against the Bruins bombardment and conceded four goals from 39 shots.
The issue in this series for the Islanders will be keeping peace with the Bruins on the goal front. Of course, the Islanders can't afford to concede five goals every game and expect to win, but they also need their top line to be contributing some goals to give them a chance at winning a few games. You would expect the Bruins would score at least 3+ goals in five out of seven games, which means the Islanders will have to put up some themselves.
According to the best betting sites, the Islanders can’t play much worse than they did in Game 1, and still, they were somewhat in the game all night, they scored first, were level after the 2nd period and had a power-play chance in the third period to take the lead. The Islanders have no problem winning games in a brave way, they throw the puck and just survive.
New York Islanders
- NY Islanders are 1-4 in their last five games when playing on the road against Boston.
- NY Islanders are 4-10 in their last 14 games on the road.
- The Islanders have only seen eight of their 32 away games go over the total.
- Boston are 5-0 in their last five games.
- The total has gone under in five of Boston's last seven games.
- The total has gone under in five of Boston's last seven games against an opponent in the East conference.
*Trends should never be your main source of information when it comes to making your betting picks, they are merely guidelines and mostly irrelevant information, but nonetheless can be interesting to read.
What Are the Betting Odds and Current Lines?
- The Boston Bruins opened up the betting on the moneyline at -208 but have since drifted into slightly better odds of -185 with BetOnline. (visit our BetOnline Review)
- The NY Islanders opened up on the moneyline at +165 and have seen very little movement in their odds as their available at +170 with the best online sportsbooks.
- If you wish to take the Bruins on the -1.5 puck line, they are best priced at +140 with BetOnline.
- The Islander at the +1.5 on the puck line is currently -160 with Intertops. (visit our Intertops Review)
- The total line opened up at 5.5 but has since dropped half a point into 5.0. Originally the under 5.5 was -155 but since the line moved you can now bet the under at +110. The over 5.0 is currently best priced up at -120 with BetOnline.
In terms of betting, the NHL odds are just way to juicy to bet on Boston at -185, one would expect them to win Game 2 after their dominance in Game 1, but this is the playoffs after all, and they are coming up against one of the best coaches in the NHL in Barry Trotz. Anything below -135/-140 in the playoffs in a stay away. The best bet on the Bruins would be to take their puck line odds at +140 if your looking to play them at all.
We have decided to go another route in this one, we see the Bruins looking to get a lot of shots on net, as they usually do as they averaged 33 per game in the regular season and have been averaging 35 per game in this seasons playoffs. For this reason, we are looking to take the Islanders goaltender over 28.5 saves, he can concede 5/6 goals for all we care, once he saves 29 shots, we have a winner. Islanders goaltenders have saved over 27 shots in six of the nine head to heads with Boston this season.
Finally, we think the Islanders team total over 1.5 goals at -200 is a good bet, albeit you are laying a lot of juice, there is some small value here if you shop around. Some sportsbooks have it as low as -250 but we found Bet365 laying only -200. Just for contrast, the Bruins team total over 1.5 is -700 and the Islanders have managed to score 2+ in 6 of the 9 games with Boston this season.
Free NHL Pick:
Islanders Goaltender Over 27.5 Saves at -115 with the best online sportsbooks.
Islanders Team Total Over 1.5 at -200 with the best online sportsbooks.
*The pick reflects the line at the moment the writer made the play, the odds at the beginning of this article show the live line movement. Since the lines might vary, don’t forget to refer back to our live odds.