According to NHL betting odds Montreal is a -106 money line road favorite and the posted total is 5.0. The home team has won 5 of the last 6 meetings between these clubs. Montreal has won 4 of their last 5-games versus Carolina. These two teams have seen 4 of their last 5 meetings at Carolina go over the total.
Stone Wall Defense
Montreal enters tonight having just completed a 4-game home stand that saw them go 2-2, and they earned 5 of 8-points possible. As a matter of fact Montreal has played 6 of their previous 7-games on home ice. Montreal has won each of their previous 2-games, the last of which was a 5-2 blowout of the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday. The Canadians have allowed 2-goals or less in each of their last 6-games. They’ve also seen just 1 of their previous 8-games go over the total. Montreal enters tonight having gone a respectable 14-13 versus the money line on the road this season.
Inside the Canadians Numbers
- Montreal is just 31-51 versus the money in the last 3 seasons, versus opponents that average 29.5 or more shots on goal per game.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 21 of 32-games this season versus opponents that average 29.5 or more shots on goal.
- Montreal is a dismal 3-12 versus the money line in the last 3 season, following a game in which they scored 5-goals or more.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 11 of 15-games this season when played on a Saturday.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 9 of 10-games the last 3 seasons following a home win by 3-goals or more.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 18 of 26-games this season following a contest on home ice.
Steadying the Ship
At the time of this writing the Carolina Hurricanes had yet to complete a Friday night home game versus the Florida Panthers. However, entering that contest they’ve been playing rock solid hockey while winning 11 of their last 16 overall. One of the few negatives during that recent 16-games span was they were shutout 3-times. Entering their Friday night affair with Florida, the Canes had gone under the total in their last 4-games. The Canes will have enjoyed a favorable recent schedule entering tonight’s game versus the Canadians. Tonight will be their 10th time playing at home in their last 14-games overall. The Canes have gone a disappointing 14-16 versus the money line at home this year prior to Friday night’s game. They had also gone over the total in just 10 of their first 30 home games. This will be the Canes last game before the Olympic break, when resuming to action they will go on a 4-game in 7-day west coast road trip.
Inside the Hurricanes Numbers
- The Canes have gone over the total in 16 of their 25-games this season when facing a goaltender with a .915 or better save percentage.
- The Canes are 18-37 in their last 55-games versus the money line when playing with no rest.
- The Canes are 12-26 in their last 38-games versus the money line versus an opponent with a winning record.
- The Canes have gone under the total in just 11 of their last 52-games played on a Saturday.
- The Canes have gone under the total in just 13 of their last 52-games versus Atlantic Division opponents.
NHL Pick: Montreal/Carolina to go under the total of 5.0