The Calgary Flames are looking to keep up their hot streak going tonight as they travel to Montreal to play the, not so hot Canadians. Who will come out on top in this second game of the series, before these teams head into a three game series next weekend. The opening line for this match was Montreal -143 at the best online betting sites.
Calgary Flames vs. Montreal Canadians
Friday, April 16, 2021 – 06:00 PM EDT at Bell Centre
The Calgary Flames chances of making the playoffs really all hinges on their ability to go 4-0 or at the very least 3-1 against the Canadians in their next four head to heads, these teams play 4 times within a ten day period. As of now the Canadians hold a 4 point advantage over the Flames and crucially have played three games less than their Canadian rivals. Statistically the Flames chances of finishing 4th and making a playoff run is pretty low, but never say never. The Flames are currently on a solid run of 3 wins and 1 loss in their previous 4 NHL games.
The Montreal Canadians will look to squash all of the Flames chances and belief that they can make the playoffs with a win tonight, but things need to improve for the Montreal team as they have a 1-4 record in their previous 5 games and are missing some key players from their roster for tonight’s game, including goaltender Carey Price. Jake Allen will most likely get the start and although he is on a 1-4 streak in the net, his overall numbers on the season are solid, with a Save percentage of 912. and average goals against sitting at 2.53.
The Flames have also come out as the winning team in the previous four head to heads, both home and away, all four of those wins the total went under 5.5. When its been 5 v 5 the Canadians have been the better team in most of these games, the issue for Montreal has been the Flames powerplay. If they can keep this to a 5 v 5 and commit little to no penalties, the should be able to get a win on home ice tonight.
*Trends should never be your main source of information when it comes to making your betting picks, they are merely guidelines and mostly irrelevant information, but nonetheless can be interesting to read.
- The total has gone under in 5 of Calgary's last 6 games when playing on the road against Montreal.
- Calgary are 4-1 in their last 5 games against Montreal.
- The total has gone under in 6 of Calgary's last 6 games on the road.
- Montreal are 1-4 in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone under in 6 of Montreal's last 9 games against an opponent in the North conference.
- Montreal are 2-4 in their last 6 games at home.
What Are The Betting Odds and Current Lines?
- The Montreal Canadians opened up at -143 on the moneyline and at the time of writing are -135.
- Travelling team, Calgary opened up the betting at +129 and have since drifted slightly into +123 with BetOnline.
- If you wish to bet the Canadians -1.5 on the puck line, they are currently +165 with Intertops. The Flames +1.5 on the puck line are best priced up at -165 with the best online sportsbooks.
- The total line opened up at 5.5 with the juice slightly towards the under at -105 but have since drifted into -115.
- The Over odds are currently best priced at +105 with BetOnline (visit our BetOnline Review)
Although the Flames are the team on a hot streak right now, we feel there is some value with the favorite in the Montreal Canadians tonight. Jacob Markstrom had a solid night in goal last night saving 26 of his 27 shots, we can’t see him being so good two nights in a row on a back to back. The Canadians have the motivation of really solidifying that 4th playoff spot with a win, plus the motivation that they are looking to get out of a cold run of form and some motivation to break the loosing streak they have suffered against these flames, if all this doesn’t motivate them, what will? Lay the juice and take the Canadians -135 on the moneyline.
The total has going under in 9 of the previous 10 head to heads, for those looking for some better value, the Canadians moneyline and under 5.5 is currently priced at +190 with the best online sportsbooks.
*The pick reflects the line at the moment the writer made the play, the odds at the beginning of this article show the live line movement. Since the lines might vary, don’t forget to refer back to our live odds.