According to NHL betting odds the Rangers are a -115 money line home favorite and the posted total is 5.0. These two clubs have seen 4 of their last 5 meetings at Madison Square Garden go under the total. The Rangers are currently 6th in the Metropolitan Division, and 12th overall in the Eastern Conference. Entering tonight’s game the Minnesota Wild is 4th in the Central Division, and 8th overall in the Western Conference.
Miseries at the Garden
The Rangers are a dismal 1-6 on their current 9-game home stand. They will host the Toronto Maple Leafs tomorrow night, and then embark on a 5-game in 9-day road trip. Unfortunately for the Rangers their struggles at MSG haven’t been limited to this recent home stand. They’ve gone 1-7 in their last 8, and 2-10 in the last 12 home games. Their most recent game was a 5-3 loss to a struggling New York Islanders team on Friday. The Rangers have now gone over the total in their last 4-games, and have stayed under the total in just 2 of their last 13 contests. They’ve allowed 4-goals or more in 6 of their last 7-games.
Sir Henrik Struggling
Henrik Lundquist hasn’t responded well since signing a lucrative contract extension a few weeks back. He wasn’t sharp again in the loss versus the Islanders stopping just 15 of 19 shots. Lundquist has allowed 3-goals or more in his last 8 starts, and has posted a horrible .859 save percentage in those outings. His GAA has soared to 2.77 while his save percentage plummeted to .905 for the season. The Rangers are just 10-17 versus the money line when Lundquist starts in goal.
Inside the Rangers Numbers
- The Rangers are a dismal 3-11 this season versus an opponent with a winning record.
- The Rangers are 33-12 the last 3 season versus opponents that have a penalty killing efficiency of 19% or worse.
- The Rangers are 53-28 the last 3 seasons versus opponents that convert on 17.5% or less of their power play opportunities.
- The Rangers have gone over the total in all 8 of their games the last 3 seasons after losing 3 of their previous 4.
The Minnesota Wild is hanging in there this season despite some anemic offensive numbers. Minnesota is currently 29th in the NHL averaging a paltry 2.2 goals per game, and 26th in the league averaging just 26 shots on goal per contest. Minnesota has scored 2-goals or less in 10 of their last 13-games, and 23 of their 37-games overall. The Wild has failed to go over the total set by sportsbooks in 12 of their last 14-games. They’ve gone over the total in just 4 of 18 road games this season. Tonight will be the 2nd of a 4-game road trip for the Wild. In their opening game of the trip they were thumped badly 5-2 at Pittsburgh on Thursday. They will be at Philadelphia tomorrow night, and then conclude the trip with a game at Winnipeg next Friday.
Inside the Wild Numbers
- The Wild is 28-10 in their last 38-games versus an opponent with a losing record.
- The Wild is just 23-48 in their last 71 road games.
- The Wild is 12-3 this season following a non-conference game.
- The Wild is 7-24 on the road the last 3 seasons following a loss.
- The Wild is 4-15 on the road the last 3 seasons versus a non-conference opponent.
NHL Betting System
Any money line road underdog coming off a loss by 3-goals or more in their previous game, versus an opponent coming off a game in which they allowed 5-goals or more, has gone 49-35 (58.3%) since the beginning of the 1996-1997 season. We'll add the Wild to our NHL picks over the struggling Rangers.
Free Pick: Wild +105 over the Rangers