Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadians
According to NHL betting odds Montreal is a -160 money line home favorite and the total is 5.5. The home team has won 11 of the last 13 meetings between these two clubs. Ottawa has won the last 4 in a row versus Montreal.
How they’re Standing
Montreal is currently 3rd in the Atlantic Division just 2-points behind the 2nd place Tampa Bay Lightning, and 4-points behind the 1st place Boston Bruins. The Canadians are 4th overall in the Eastern Conference. The Senators enter tonight 6th in the Atlantic, and 9th overall in the Eastern Conference. As disappointing as the first half of the season has been for Ottawa, they’re only 1-point behind the Philadelphia Flyers for the final playoff position in the Eastern Conference.
Over is the Flavor of the Day
The Montreal Canadians have gone under the total in just 1 of their last 6-games. Prior to those results Montreal went over the total in just 1 of 7-games. Even with this latest run of games going over the total, the Canadians have gone over the total in just 13 of 42-games this season. Ironically all of their previous 6-games have been played on the road, and going into that latest road swing, Montreal had gone over the total in just 2 of their first 13 road games.
There’s No Place like Home
The Canadians return to the Belle Centre in Montreal for the first time since December 17th. They come off a 6-game in 15-day road swing that saw them go 3-3, and earned 7 of 12 possible points. The Canadians strong defensive play took a hit on the recent road trip, as they allowed 22-goals in the 6-games. Despite all of that, Montreal remains 3rd in the NHL allowing just 2.3 goals per game. Starting with tonight the Canadians will play 4 of their next 5-games at home.
Inside the Canadians Numbers
- Montreal has gone under the total in 9 of 10-games this season, and 24 of 31-games the last 3 seasons, after scoring 4-goals or more in their previous game.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 9 of 11-games this season following a win by 2-goals or more.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 8 of 10-games this season, and 22 of 30-games the last 3 season, when playing on a Saturday.
- Montreal has gone under the total in 21 of 30-games the last 3 seasons following a non-conference game.
- Montreal is just 3-14 at home versus the money line the last 3 seasons, following a game that they scored 4-goals or more.
- Montreal is a dismal 1-9 at home versus the money line the last 3 seasons following a game, which there was 8-goals or more combined scored.
Finally Turning the Corner?
The Ottawa Senators enter tonight having won their last 3 in a row, and 4 of their last 5. This marks just the 2nd time this season that the Senators have put together a 3-game winning streak. Tonight they will attempt to win their 4th in a row for the first time this season. Ottawa comes off a stretch that’s seen them play 11 of their last 14-games at home. Tonight will be the start of a 4-game in 11-day road swing for the Senators. They’ve been respectable on the road so far this season, earning 17 out of 36-points possible. However, they’re 0-4 in their last 4-games versus the money line set by online sportsbooks while on the road.
Inside the Senators Numbers
- Ottawa has gone 4-11 versus the money line this season following a game in which they scored 4-goals or more.
- Ottawa has gone over the total in 9 of 11-games this season, versus teams that kill off better than 85.5% of their opponent’s power play chances.
- Ottawa has gone over the total in 14 of 19-games this season versus opponents that convert on better than 17.5% of their power play opportunities.
NHL Betting System
Any road team (Ottawa) that’s facing an opponent playing with same season revenge from a loss by 3-goals or more, and that opponent is playing their 4th game in the last 7-days, has gone 529-455 versus the money line since the beginning of the 1996-1997 season. So we'll count on Ottawa taking this one for our NHL pick.
Free Pick: Ottawa +140 over Montreal