The NBA odds have not presented a roadblock to SBR’s Swinging Johnson as he has gone 7-1 ATS since he began his NBA Friday night picks. Let’s see which two games he picks up tonight!
Detroit (27-44 SU, 35-36 ATS) vs. Orlando (22-51 SU, 36-35-2 ATS)
In the first of two we're going to play a lousy team that happens to be playing…very well. I speak of course of the Detroit Pistons who have not only covered four of their last five as underdogs but in each of those covers they have also been money line winners. Now that's pretty impressive considering this is a team that's only won 27 games all year. The question is can they win outright again tonight because this time the NBA oddsmakers have installed them as a road favorite.
Fortunately they are playing in Orlando and as we all know Orlando has been anything but magic for their fans this season with a record of 22-51 as they find themselves jockeying for a prime spot in the NBA draft lottery.
So here are a few things you need to know about this one:
* Detroit is 3-0 ATS this season after playing over in three consecutive games.
* Detroit is 4-1 ATS after 3 or more consecutive wins.
* Detroit has a better ATS record on the road than at home where they are 19-16 on the highway and 16-20 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
* The Pistons destroyed the Magic in their last visit to the Amway Center 109-86 and followed that up with a 128-118 shootout victory and ATS cover in their last meeting back on January 21st.
Power forward Greg Monroe has been out during Detroit's recent winning streak but Reggie Jackson is averaging 20.2 points and 12.2 assists since the big man went down. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is scoring 22.4 points per game while Andre Drummond has averaged 15.6 points and has snagged 15.8 boards during that time. Keep that in mind when placing your NBA Picks today as all of this with Detroit's huge advantage on the glass and it's lookin' like all lollipops and sunshine for the Pistons tonight.
NBA Pick: Play Detroit - 1 ½ at 5Dimes
Boston (31-40 SU, 41-30 ATS) vs. New York (14-58 SU, 27-43-2 ATS)
Look when I first glanced at the lines I saw Boston as a 9 ½ point favorite on the road and I’m thinking there's no way that can be until I considered just who they're playing in this one...the New York freakin’ Knickerbockers. I mean this team is so bad they couldn't even score in a whorehouse with a fistful of fifties.
Now you recall it wasn't long ago that the Celtics were shocking everyone including the fans in Boston when they suddenly began gelling...and winning. But over the last five games they have lost four outright and covered twice. I think that this is a good spot for the Celtics to get not only the win but the cover NBA odds for the following reasons:
* Celtics blew out the Knicks in their last two meetings one of which was at Madison Square Garden.
* Despite Boston's most recent game in which they lost 93-86 to the Miami Heat, they did play extremely well in the 4th quarter outscoring Miami 24-11 but ultimately coming up short while the Knicks have just been getting absolutely hammered recently losing and failing to cover in their last five and winning and covering only one game in their last eight.
* Celts have been money on the road this season going 22-13 ATS and have a huge advantage in the paint as they are currently ranked 10th on the boards while New York is a dismal 29th.
I know a double digit road win for a team like the Celtics is a tall order but when you're fighting for a playoff spot and you get a team like the Knicks in your sights after playing below expectations the game before then it's usually a good opportunity to take your frustrations out on a team that you know you can bully.
NBA Pick: Play Celtics - 9 ½ at Pinnacle.com