The wagering world is not confined to sports as Star Wars: The Force Awakens props are coming to a theater near you. Let’s review what oddsmakers are offering & cash in while we enjoy the movie.
Will Star Wars Episode VII surpass Avatar as the top grossing movie of all time?
- Yes +200
- No -300
You don’t have to be a Star Wars geek to figure this one out. Keep your light sabre, your Darth Vader starter kit and your Chewbacca costume while I do the grunt work and analyze why this latest release will keep Avatar’s record safe from harm. Avatar did $2.783 billion and that my friends, is far too tall a task to ask of this latest incarnation of George Lucas’s cosmic series.
If you look at the box offices tallies for top grossing movies of all time you will find that the highest grossing Star Wars movie is the Phantom Menace (1999) which was the only iteration of the series that broke the one billion dollar barrier earning $1.027 billion druggats (that’s Star Wars geek speak for dollars). To suggest that this latest version will surpass even that mark is questionable let alone topping almost three times that amount. This is one Stars Wars betting prop where the heavy lumber is worth yelling “Timber”.
Bet No -300 at Bovada.com.
Star Wars Episode VII to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Picture
- Yes +2000
Look anything can happen and betting a few bucks that Star Wars Episode VII will win a Best Picture nod on a lark is not the worst thing you could do. The Hollywood crowd loves nothing more than to draw attention to themselves but there is a political aspect to the voting process which is why this has little or no chance of getting traction from the Glitterati. But hey, what’s a sawbuck anyway? Bet it and forget it.
Star Wars Episode VII to win an Oscar for Best Picture
- Yes +7500
A nomination for Best Picture would be a coup but to actually take home the hardware would be more shocking than Darth’s famous “I am your father” line to Luke Skywalker. Will it win? No, no and a thousand times no! Should you bet it at +7500 for $10 that you’d piss away at your local barroom after two Budweiser’s? For the luvva gawd –yes!
John Williams to win an Oscar for Best Score
- Yes +180
Mr. Williams has been nominated for Best Original Score 44 times and has won the Oscar on four occasions. This is the Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth and Jim Brown of cinematic music all rolled up into one balding, grey-haired little package. At 83-years-old this could be his swan song and the Academy could very likely acknowledge it with yet another Oscar to adorn his already crowded mantle. Bet Yes +180.
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Specials
- Han Solo to say "I'm getting too old for this" +1500 Hans Solo getting old? Yeah right, if you think Harrison Ford at 73 is old? The Acropolis is old, the pyramids are old and this entire series is getting old but Han Solo? Never!
- Han Solo to say "I got a bad feeling about this" +500 Perhaps this is what Harrison Ford’s agent uttered to him before he accepted this role – again! But there will be plenty of perilous situations in which Han will find himself so this could be one worth betting. If the offshore books will give me to 5 to 1 than I’ll take it.
- "Never tell me the odds" to be said +1000 – That’s what I said right before I bet Ronda Rousey to beat Holly Holm. How’d that work out? Pass.
- "May the force be with you" to be said -150 This quote is akin to a priest saying, “Go in peace.” Immediately after his blessing, when we are full of the lord, we race to our cars only to cut off our fellow parishioners in traffic just to get back in front of the TV to watch the football games. Sure, why not. It’s a Star Wars thang. Bet it.
- "I am your father" to be said +1500 Okay I know this is science fiction and all but whose father is hanging around when you reach your 70’s? And if you’re one of the lucky ones who gets to dress him, feed him and prop him up in a chair while you yourself are having a tough time tying your own shoes and tracking your bowel movements then I sure as hell don’t think you need to have any conversations about the relationship that’s been obvious for decades. Pass the Metamucil and pass on this prop.