Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather Super-Fight Done Deal?

mcgregor-mayweather

Matthew Jordan

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:48 PM GMT

Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017 5:48 PM GMT

If you believe reports out of Ireland, the mega-fight between UFC star Conor McGregor and unbeaten boxing pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been agreed upon by both camps. When and where are unknown, but it surely will be sometime this year in Las Vegas.

Take the news that a fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is close to being announced with a grain of salt for now. The first report of an agreement came from the Sun, a British tabloid. That could be the National Enquirer of that country for all I know, but the story is gaining traction at mainstream sites in the USA.

The paper reports that a source close to McGregor told the newspaper that the UFC lightweight champion and Mayweather “have both settled on their respective fees.” The source added: “The contract hasn’t officially been signed yet because of a third-party holdup, but all the details have all been agreed on. … The fight could even be announced within two weeks.”

The Sun is also reporting that McGregor pulled out of a scheduled meet-and-greet event in Dublin this week to go to the USA to make an anti-bullying video for schoolchildren. McGregor will shoot the video as part of a deal struck with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) after he was deemed to have thrown a bottle of water at Nate Diaz during a pre-fight news conference last August. McGregor got his boxing license late last year and is in the process of resolving his issues with the NSAC -- that anti-bullying video will resolve that. He will also use the trip to finalize details with his representatives in Las Vegas for the Mayweather fight. The NSAC has confirmed that the McGregor and Mayweather camps are in negotiations.

[/]{"component":"video", "type":"youtube", "url":"https://www.youtube.com/embed/EhdLHZ8vLj8", "videoSize":"Large" }[/]

In January, both acknowledged that the fight could happen, though money had been a sticking point in any potential negotiations. Needless to say, this would only be a boxing match as McGregor would destroy Mayweather in an MMA-style fight. Mayweather is one of the best defensive boxers of all-time (maybe the best) but isn’t an aggressive fighter.

One other potential issue is that UFC president Dana White has said a fight between McGregor, 28, and Mayweather, 39, would not happen as McGregor is under contract for four more fights with the UFC. White also has implied there would be consequences if McGregor moved forward with this bout without the UFC's permission. White's also a businessman and knows this bout would be great for the UFC. 

Bovada sportsbook has odds posted on the potential fight, with Mayweather at -1400 and McGregor at +750. A Mayweather loss would wreck his legacy in the ring. He tied Rocky Marciano's legendary 49-0 boxing record with a victory over Andre Berto in September 2015 before retiring.

Talk about this potential mega-bout in our forum.

comment here