The trend of the rock biopic continues and Baz Luhrmann is going big tackling the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.
Following the recent success of the “Bohemian Rhaposdy’ showcasing Freddie Mercury and “Rocketman’ centered on the rise of Elton John, all attention is turning to who might be able to pull off playing Elvis Presley.
Actors who’ve already tackled the role on the big screen and small are: Kurt Russell (“Elvis’ 1979 TV movie), Don Johnson (“Elvis & the Beauty Queen’ 1981 TV movie), David Keith (“Heartbreak Hotel’ 1988), Dale Midkiff “Elvis & Me’ 1988 TV mini-series), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (“Elvis’ 2005 TV mini-series), Michael St. Gerard (“Great Balls of Fire’ 1989; “Elvis’ 1990 TV-series), Tyler Hilton (“Walk the Line’ 2005).
Now Luhrmann, best known for directing “Moulin Rouge!’ and “The Great Gatsby,’ is writing and directing the still-unnamed film and is looking for his leading man.
On the short list, Austin Butler, Ansel Elgort, Harry Styles, Aaron Taylor Johnson and Miles Teller. Bovada is offering odds on who will walk away with the blue suede shoes.
Not on the list, “American Idol’ runner-up Adam Lambert who made a pitch for the role two weeks ago on Australian TV.
“I hear that there’s an Elvis (movie) in the works. I have been compared to him quite a bit. Last year, I got to do this tribute thing that has a re-creation of his comeback special,” Lambert said on the “Studio 10′ talk show. “I got the lip, the lip goes up. … Audition me, come on.’
Presumably his phone did not ring.
The film reportedly focuses on the relationship between a young Elvis and his equally bigger-than-life manager Colonel Tom Parker, who is going to be played by Tom Hanks.
Here’s whose phone did ring plus the odds and chances of them getting the role. All have been screen tested, according to The Hollywood Reporter:
- Austin Butler: He was in “The Dead Don’t Die’ and is about to get a lot of attention as Tex in Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon A Time … In Hollywood.’ Odds: +450
- Ansel Elgort: The star of “The Fault in Our Stars’ and “Baby Driver’ will next be seen in “The Goldfinch.’ Odds: +450
- Harry Styles: The former One Direction pop star made his film debut in director Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk.’ Odds: +140
- Aaron Taylor Johnson: Best known from “Kick Ass,’ he also portrayed Quicksilver in “Avengers: Age of Ultron.’ Odds: +600
- Miles Teller: From his breakout role in “Whiplash,’ he’s about to appear in “Top Gun: Maverick.’ Odds: +250
The best money has to be on Styles who has lived part of the Elvis experience as part of the One Direction boy band. If nothing else, he’s proven he can take all the screaming.