Will Andy Murray Retire After The Australian Open?


Could This Be Andy Murray’s Last Tournament?

Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray announced his plans to retire from tennis at Wimbledon in the summer. The 31-year-old has played with hip pain for years but his body never recovered from a five-set marathon match against Stan Wawrinka at the French Open in 2017. Murray had right hip surgery in January 2018 but said his hip is still severely damage and only played 15 official matches over the last 18 months.

Murray confirmed he will play his first-round match at the Australian Open but is not sure how much longer he will be able to play competitive tennis. The world No.230 said there is a chance the Australian Open could be his last tournament and although Andy is considering another hip operation, the aim is more to improve his quality of life than as a way of returning to the top level of tennis.

Murray is scheduled to open his Australian Open campaign against Roberto Bautista Agut at Melbourne Park. The market is well aware of Andy’s physical problems with a steam move of 31.15% on Bautista Agut’s tennis betting odds to -454 with Pinnacle. Murray’s outright also drifted exponentially with Bet365 offering +5000 for the British to lift the trophy at the Australian Open. The former world No.1 will try to remain competitive for as long as possible but this might be the last professional tournament in Murray’s career.

Two-Horse Race

With Andy Murray announcing his retirement and Rafael Nadal still recovering from a knee injury, the Australian Open is considered a two-horse race between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. The Serbian is the undeniable favorite to lift the trophy at +120 with Intertops while Pinnacle offers +464 for Roger to win the title for the third year in a row.

Both Djokovic and Federer won six titles at Melbourne Park with these two players winning also 11 of the last 13 editions of the Australian Open. For that reason, splitting your stake among these two players to lift the trophy is a valuable approach for this tournament. If you place 71.94% of your stake on Djokovic and the remaining 28.06% on Federer’s outright, you will guarantee a 58.27% profit if any of these two is the champion. On the other hand, placing a small bet on the market ‘Name the Finalists – Djokovic / Federer’ at +350 with Betfair is also an interesting approach for this event.

Dark Horse

As mentioned above, Nadal is still recovering from a knee injury and has not played an official match since retiring from the US Open semifinals in September. The Spaniard is confident he will be 100 percent fit for the Australian Open but Nadal’s Hard Court record over the past 12 months is alarming. The 32-year-old has withdrawn or retired from 18 of his past 19 tournaments on his surface and is hard to find any value on his odds to win the fourth quarter at +125 with Intertops.

Grigor Dimitrov is a former semifinalist at the Australian Open with an impressive 71.88% winning record throughout his career in Melbourne Park. The world No.21 hopes his new partnership with Andre Agassi will help him with his game and to get back on track after a disappointing 2018 campaign. Dimitrov is always a good investment in Australia and +600 with Bet365 is an interesting price for the Bulgarian to win the fourth quarter and reach the semifinals for the second time in three years.