The pleasant aroma of fresh cut grass and hot dogs returns on Sunday when Major League Baseball debuts it's 2017 season with 3 games. Although SBR contributor discusses some valuable betting tips on each of those season openers.
N.Y. Yankees vs Tampa Bay RaysGame# 905-906
- Masahiro Tanka will be the Yankees 2017 opening day starter. Since arriving from Japan in 2014, Tanaka has owned the Tampa Bay Rays. The veteran right-handed hurler has gone a perfect 8-0 in his MLB career starts versus Tampa Bay while posting a shiny 2.82 ERA and impressive 0.81 WHIP.
- Chris Archer has been a hard luck pitcher when facing the Yankees in recent starts. Specifically, since 7/3/2015, Tampa Bay has gone an abysmal 0-6 against the Yankees when Archer is their starter. Nonetheless, the young right-handed hurler received very little run support in those outings. The Rays scored just a combined 15 runs in those 6 losses. On a positive note, Archer has a brilliant 2.08 ERA in 5 career starts at Tropicana Field when facing the Yankees.
- The Giants were an extremely profitable 15-4 at Arizona last season.
- Madison Bumgarner made 3 starts versus Arizona in 2015. The Giants southpaw ace posted a stellar 2.48 ERA and microscopic 0.68 WHIP during those outings.
- Current (4/1) MLB betting odds has San Francisco as a money line favorite ranging from -127 to -133. Arizona’s Zack Greinke is a very noteworthy 30-13 (.698) in his career team starts when his team was a money line underdog.
- Greinke was 3-0-1 under the total in 4 starts last year against San Francisco and posted a respectable 3.28 ERA while doing so. However, during his 2 home starts versus the Giants in 2015, Greinke wasn’t sharp at all, evidenced by a lofty 5.25 ERA and 1.75 WHIP compiled in those outings.
CH Cubs vs St. Louis Cardinals Game# 903-904
- Cubs southpaw ace Jon Lester was dominating in 3 starts last season against St. Louis. Lester had a superb 0.87 ERA during those outings and struck out 21 while walking only 3.
- The Cardinals will attempt to rectify their odd home/away splits from a season ago. St. Louis had an outstanding 48-33 record in away games and went a very disappointing 38-43 at Busch Stadium. That inexplicable lack of consistency at home ultimately cost the Cardinals a playoff berth.
- The Cardinals will go with Carlos Martinez on the mound for Sunday’s home and season opener. Martinez was 1-4 in his team starts versus the Cubs last season with an uninspiring 4.80 ERA.
Make Sure To Check Out The Best Bets For 2017 MLB Opening Day Here