We break down one of the marquee games of Week 3 in the Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame prediction and game preview. College Football odds on the game are Georgia Tech-2.5, with a total of 54.5.
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets meet for the first time since 2007 in a matchup of top 15 teams.
Examining the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
– Everything worked for the Yellow Jackets for the second straight week, getting out to a 21-0 lead on short touchdown runs from Qua Searcy, Patrick Skov and Justin Thomas. Tulane scored on a 44-yard Devon Breaux catch, but Tech answered to close out the half with a 17-yard Searcy touchdown catch.
– The machine didn’t stop. The Yellow Jackets went on a 26-point scoring run with Thomas throwing another touchdown pass and Matthew Jordan finding TaQuon Marshall for a 35-yard scoring play.
– Tulane only managed a 37-yard Andrew DiRocco field goal in the fourth quarter. Those were the only points over the last 38 minutes. The gap behind center between these two schools is a lot wider than it was a week ago. Junior Justin Thomas is the orchestrator of the high-scoring Yellow Jacket triple-option, deftly spreading the ball around on quick strikes and timely pitches to backs Marcus Marshall and Patrick Skov. Notre Dame has been flattened by the Navy option the last two years, and Navy isn’t Georgia Tech. The Irish, on the other hand, will be using Kizer, a first-time starter, in this showdown. Kizer has obvious physical gifts and a ton potential, but he’s drinking out of a fire hose right now.
Examining the Notre Dame Fighting Irish
– Malik Zaire completed 7-of-18 passes for 115 yards and a score, and ran ten times for 87 yards before getting hurt. He wasn’t nearly as accurate as he was against Texas. DeShone Kizer completed 8-of-12 passes for 92 yards and two scores.
– C.J. Prosise ran 17 times for 155 yards and a score. Will Fuller caught five passes for 155 yards and two touchdowns
– Notre Dame was 0-for-10 on third down conversions, but 2-of-3 on fourth downs. Sure, the Irish are trailing at quarterback, but they’ll have an edge most everywhere else.It stings to lose Zaire, Folston, DT Jarron Jones and TE Durham Smythe. No doubt. But Brian Kelly has a history of coaching up backup quarterbacks and a track record for amassing talent. WR Will Fuller, LB Jaylon Smith, OT Ronnie Stanley, DT Sheldon Day
– All healthy and all ready to pick up more of the slack. ND remains a deep and battle-tested squad Georgia Tech has yet to face anyone, and still has much to prove on defense.
Momentum/Line Moves/ Notable Injuries
The momentum seems to be firmly in the grasp of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The line move has seen small action go to the road warriors Yellow Jackets. The most notable injury is the loss of Zaire for the Fighting Irish.
College Football Pick: With the loss of Zaire, we feel it is to much for the Fighting Irish to overcome even at home. We like Georgia Tech at -2.5 college football odds with our college football picks at BetOnline in this game. Georgia Tech 34 Notre Dame 28.