beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

How far can this kid go?

Great poise... and screw the dude that yelled at Champ point..Im not canadian but that kid gets the key to the country!!

Tsonga
    Tsonga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

I wouldn't go as far as to give him a key yet...tennis has a super low profile in Canada in general.

but I'm hoping he continues to get better...its so nice to cheer for a Canadian in tennis....he's got such a calm demeanor on the court.

i agree with eaglesphan analysis of his game...a little bit like del potro...not as strong as him obviously but hopefully in time he can become stronger. his net game needs a lot of work.

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 863

Aside from the serve I dont think he's that great. He collapsed against Ferrer not too long ago when a little pressure was put on him. He's the next Isner imo and I dont think Isner is anything special. This guy has really bad hands. Too goofy to be a top 10 guy.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think we should rush to judge this kid based on just two tournaments this season. It's the grind of a season and the ability to maintain consistency that makes/breaks players. Check back in the summer and let's see what he's done over the course of several months. He's always going to be someone who can make noise on hard courts because of his serve, but I do think he's better than someone like Isner who generally dreads moving and constructing points. I don't think Raonic is an artist or anything at this point, but the guy does show willingness to use his athletic ability and not just rely on slugging his serve and winning tie breaks.

Obviously the big thing which we probably won't see much this year is how does he do or is he willing to play on clay and grass? I'm guessing if they are smart they will protect the kid and not have him play much on clay. Doubt he would skip the short grass court swing, so you'll get to see his adaptability there. The other thing I am keen to see is if he can beat some of the great returners in the game. I look forward to seeing him play guys like Murray, Djokovic, etc. to see if he can figure out how to beat those guys. Ferrer obviously has shown the ability to engage him into rallies and chase down shots is a key to being able to beat him.

AbleFollow
    AbleFollow's Avatar Become A Pro!

this kid has a talant.. good emotional nature and wonderfull technique with good serve

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

top 10 for sure. for more it's early to say.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

The game, particularly on hard court favors players with a huge serve. Indeed that tool is alone sufficient to coast into the top 40 and generally to maintain in the top 20. However, breaking into and maintaining a position in the top 10 requires AT LEAST stellar ability in one other area and in todays game, proficiency in nearly all other areas.

He's young and still has the ability to mold his game. Many questions remain, is he a good/quick learner? Will he surround himself with the right people? How does his game translate to other surfaces?

He is fun to watch, has been profitable to bet on and is well spoken. I hope he continues his rise.

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

Better then Isner...

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

Quote Originally Posted by gators0708 View Post
    Better then Isner...
    that is for sure

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

He's definitely got some talent. He has a really good serve but his ground strokes aren't very impressive. The elite players will still crush him. He has beaten Youzhny and Verdasco who are good players but not elite. He really hasn't beaten anyone else.