mukas pukas
    mukas pukas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Murray v. Ferrer

This is an interesting matchup.

Ferrer has managed well to get to this point, but is he a semifinal quality player? more importantly, is he an aussie open FINALS quality player? I think not. He has played very well, perhaps as well as I've ever seen him, but his skills are second class to the top, top tier. It's why he's never cracked through players like fed/rafa/djok, despite years of consistent competitive tennis. Even the talented young Raonic hit winners at will in the first set against him. It was his experience and tenacity to force mistakes that won that match from a young guy. His tenacity again played Rafa into an injury with a dogfight in the first game. A healthy Rafa wins that match 9/10 times, maybe more. But effort counts too and he has made career doing this and made the most of these situations and has a chance to do it again.

Murray is playing the second best tennis in the tourny, maybe the best of his life right now as well. His achilles heal is what it always has been, not his superior skills, but his focus and consistency and tendency to *ahem, choke when it comes to the slams. He managed to lose a set (the 3rd set) to an exhausted and inconsistent dolgopolov. When he plays hard and more imporantly, smart, he's almost unbeatable and par with rafa. Ferrer can't be him, but he can beat himself and Ferrer may help by forcing extra shots and thinner margins for winners. I expect Ferrer to win at least a set, but a showdown with murray and djoker in the final is what we'll get.

A bet on murray at -400 is ill advised in my opinion. Ferrer has a fighters chance and has played firm, intelligent tennis. The trouble is, we just haven't seen ferrer defeat a real contender at his best (rafa was injured) so it's hard to gauge him

who agrees? who disagrees? why?

also worth noting, ferrer's fitness is less an advantage as murray is one of the most fit and 5-set capable players on tour, also with a bigger serve and tiebreak edge.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

murray will beat ferrer. this is ferrers 2nd GS semi. in his entire career. i think murray has already been in a few GS semi's and also a GS final as well.
    murray shud win this in less than 5 sets.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

books suck

two top 10 players in the semi final of a grand slam and you get one sided odds like this

i agree that murray wins this, the quesion is how easy or how difficult will it be

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

This could be the classic 5 setter that we've all been waiting for this tournament. Ferrer could frustate Murray, forcing him to make errors.

Over 3.5 sets is the play here.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    books suck

two top 10 players in the semi final of a grand slam and you get one sided odds like this

i agree that murray wins this, the quesion is how easy or how difficult will it be
    If you think they're wrong then exploit them, otherwise they did a great job preventing people from getting a good price on Murray.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Ferrer owns the head to head edge but his wins were on clay...i think murray wins for sure but not sure if he covers the six game spread??

mukas pukas

a play that might appeal to some of you, take murray to win 3-1, and 3-2. proportion your wagers correctly, and you've made a +157 wager for murray in 4/5 sets. personally i am still on the fence, ferrer's price is appealing, but i cannot see ferrer - djoka in the final. may stay away from this all together

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

The books are of the opinion that Murray will win. All they've done with that insane line is to take away the value on Murray. You now either pass or take Murray 3-1 or 3-2. I'm not saying Ferrer can't win but I think Ferrer is a sucker bet.

Mirar Baseball
    Mirar Baseball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    If you think they're wrong then exploit them, otherwise they did a great job preventing people from getting a good price on Murray.

.... who, by the way, won twelve sets out of twelve possible vs Ferrer on hardcourts

Mirar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Wilforth View Post
    The books are of the opinion that Murray will win. All they've done with that insane line is to take away the value on Murray. You now either pass or take Murray 3-1 or 3-2. I'm not saying Ferrer can't win but I think Ferrer is a sucker bet.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

agreed .. people will like that line with ferrer especially after beating rafa

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Murray will win easy. Ferrer shouldn't have even made it this far. Nadal's "injury" is the only reason Ferrer is still playing. I will commend him on winning some tough matches against quality ranked players this tourney but Andy will prove too much for him.

blingish
    blingish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2441

Quote Originally Posted by mukas pukas View Post
    a play that might appeal to some of you, take murray to win 3-1, and 3-2. proportion your wagers correctly, and you've made a +157 wager for murray in 4/5 sets. personally i am still on the fence, ferrer's price is appealing, but i cannot see ferrer - djoka in the final. may stay away from this all together
    I love these plays. 1 unit on each plus 1 unit on Ferrer. Only way you lose your ass is if Murray wins in straights. IDK thoughts? This coming from the guy that laid the limit on Federer and over 39 last night. But I think this is the play tonight. Thoughts and opinions more than welcome before I pull the trigger

Mirar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by blingish View Post
    I love these plays. 1 unit on each plus 1 unit on Ferrer. Only way you lose your ass is if Murray wins in straights. IDK thoughts? This coming from the guy that laid the limit on Federer and over 39 last night. But I think this is the play tonight. Thoughts and opinions more than welcome before I pull the trigger
    so basically you're banking on TennisBabe to lose his fourth straight wager

don't think that happened once last year... but good luck to you

blingish

Quote Originally Posted by Mirar Baseball View Post

so basically you're banking on TennisBabe to lose his fourth straight wager

don't think that happened once last year... but good luck to you
    Not really on tennis babe losing but more on Ferrer to win a set or more. Thanks for the reply, It will definately make me think a little harder before I make any bets

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

Ferrer gets it done tonight!!

sorena
    sorena's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

murry for me.

blingish

Quote Originally Posted by gators0708 View Post
    Ferrer gets it done tonight!!
    Maybe not outright but maybe he steals a set? Rafa wasn't healthy but he is still Rafa. And Ferrer won in fairly convincing fashion. Murray has dropped sets in this major so far and he does have a rep for choking. I'm just saying I think Ferrer has a decent shot at a set or two here.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

murray hasnt lost a single set to ferrer on a hard court... murray in straight sets for EV and Murray -5.5 games for -135.

Nom1
    Nom1's Avatar Become A Pro!

How about under 38.5, I think that may be the safest play here.

yoteamo79
    yoteamo79's Avatar Become A Pro!

not if goes to 4th or 5th set

obie
    obie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 260

Quote Originally Posted by kingsr View Post
    This could be the classic 5 setter that we've all been waiting for this tournament. Ferrer could frustate Murray, forcing him to make errors.

Over 3.5 sets is the play here.
    I strongly disagree!

i THINK, if Murray takes the first set easy (like I think he will) Ferrer can not come back into the game. Murray is simply to strong, and i know that Ferrer doesnt make a lot of unforced errors, but neither does Murray! We all know that, and knowing Ferrer's age, and Murray's strong fitt, i highly disagree to take over 3,5 set. It is simply to dangerous that Murray will run right over him. Sorry for my bad english, hope you can understand

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I can't see betting Ferrer here and I also can't see betting that it'll go 4 or 5. Why should it?

I think I'm staying away.

yoteamo79

Wager type : Proposition/Future
    Description : Tennis Tournaments
    2011 Australian Open
    Mens Semifinals
    331 Set Betting - D Ferrer vs A Murray
    335 A Murray win 3-1 +220
    Amount : Risking $40.32 To Win $88.70 USD

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

heard the same crap when Ferrer played Nadel. Ferrer wins this one kids.

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

some of you really dont understand tennis if you are saying ferrer won only because nadal was injured and he is not a semifinal player. ferrer was playing at an astronomical level in his last match and would have beaten any player in tennis on that day. If he plays like that today, murray has no chance. will he? probably not but are 3:1 odds good enough to take a chance? I think they are

Mirar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Nom1 View Post
    Just in case, you know, the underdog wins 3-0?

yoteamo79

Wager type : Proposition/Future
    Description : Tennis Tournaments
    2011 Australian Open
    Mens Semifinals
    327 Match 1st Set - D Ferrer vs A Murray
    327 D Ferrer - 1st Set +240
    Amount : Risking $40.32 To Win $96.77 USD

Nom1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nom1

Just in case, you know, the underdog wins 3-0?

what do u mean ?

Nom1

[COLOR=#000000 !important]not if goes to 4th or 5th set, 38.5 will only be broken if they go to 5[/COLOR]

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

is that wozniacki in murrays box

Mirar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    is that wozniacki in murrays box
    Yes sir. Yesterday Ana, today Caroline. The cameramen sure do a hell of a job. Eyecandy!

superpapak
    superpapak's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ferrer is in the form of his life, I even think he can win this Grand Slam.
    Murray didn't play as well as the results show.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by superpapak View Post
    Ferrer is in the form of his life, I even think he can win this Grand Slam.
    Murray didn't play as well as the results show.
    I guarantee he won't win this slam.

mukas pukas

Quote Originally Posted by beerman2619 View Post
    heard the same crap when Ferrer played Nadel. Ferrer wins this one kids.
    yep. nailed it