shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Johon, I can't quote your post because I'm on my phone and your post is too long but which regular tennis forum member with a thread laid the chalk on the Nadal ML or put him in a 'massive parlay'? Are you even looking in this forum because I'm starting to think you're just here to bitch. I saw that thread you started in the Think Tank where you said you've only been live betting tennis for a few months. I'm telling you now - if you're betting money on a sport where you don't know that the #1 tennis player in the world was ill, then you're insane. It's bad enough you didn't know he said after the Cilic match that he felt 100% perfect but you didn't even know he had been ill

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLOR777 View Post
    for the record, I think Nadal would have retired if he wasn't playing a fellow countryman.

What good does that do? It only aggravates the injury more, right?

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Anyone who lays chalk like this is never going to be a profitable long term gambler. It is nearly impossible to find value in a player/team in which the public loves to back.

How the fuk do you lay -800 on nadal against ferrer. Even if he won 6-0 6-0 6-0 it wouldn't justify it. This is a sport shit happens do not back big fuking chalk its for suckers.

Nard Dog
    Nard Dog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

Yes, it's fair. He didn't want to ruin it for Ferrer by retiring at 2:0 4:1. That would have been arrogant. Props to Nadal for staying 15 extra minutes on the court.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    Do you think it was fair that he didn't retire?
    Fair to who?! I think he's stubborn as all hell for not retiring because he could have tore his hamstring, if he hadn't already, and screwed himself for the next few months. But that's just the guy he is so who am I to say?

As a bettor it makes no difference to me. I didn't touch this match as I know a lot of people didn't. If I had been on Nadal 3-0, 3-1 my bet would've been voided anyway as my books void retirements at any stage.

That's where I think you're off base here. Not only are you assuming that important info, that even the checkout chick I was talking to last week knew about, was missed here, you're thinking that info was relevant to this match and you're thinking a lot of people laid big chalk in some fashion.

As I said - you seem to be confusing the tennis forum with other areas of the site. The people with larger threads on here have several (too many in my case) years experience betting this sport. You're bit inventing the wheel here. All the best with your bets.

labrador
    labrador's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nadal didn't quit, it's because he's a fighter, because he didn't want to let audience who bought tickets down, because of his respect to this sport.
    It's not because he was playing a country fellow. In fact maybe he should've just quit to help his country fellow on his next match!
    That just makes no sense at all thinking that way. What kind of logic is that?
    But again, Shari, it's kind of a waste of energy to argue with people who think that way.

Nard Dog
    Nard Dog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

Reaching a Grand Slam semis is a HUGE deal. Especially for a guy like Ferrer who was a constuction worker once and worked his butt off to get here. Had Nadal retired, he would have ruined a significant part of Ferrer's celebration. I have Pat Rafter's book in which he says in his 1999 US Open match with Pioline he got really hurt but really, really wanted to finish the 5th set so as not to take away from Pioline's effort. Eventually, he had to retire because the pain was unbearable and as they were shaking hands he apologized to Pioline and told him he didn't mean to take away from Pioline's play.

Nadal and Ferrer are good friends, Nadal didn't want to ruin it for his buddy.

shari91

Well I think both of you (Nard and lab) are right based on his press conference. For those who didn't see it he mentioned that he hates retirements and is still upset about having to do so last year and that he didn't want to talk about his injury at all as that would take away from Ferrer getting through and he didn't want to disrespect his win.

I've never been his biggest supporter but I've really warmed to him in the past few months. Even Ferrer was classy and said that it was a shitty way to win.

For all the jerks in pro sports these days it always makes me happy to see people act with respect towards each other.

labrador
    labrador's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're right, Nard. Still remember it really sucked for Mauresmo that Henin quit at the Aussie Final one year.
    Last edited by labrador; 01-26-11 at 07:21 AM.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLOR777 View Post
    for the record, I think Nadal would have retired if he wasn't playing a fellow countryman.
    I think so, yes. He retired 2 sets and a break down vs Murray at this stage last year, for example.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

January 26th must be his unlucky day.

brandoc
    brandoc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 940

So the OP wants this forum to tighten up because he thinks he should´ve bet/won more on Ferrer? Whatever duder, there´s a lot of help in these forums and I don´t think anyone´s withholding valuable information. And if they were, I doubt this post is going to persuade them to do otherwise...

For the record, there are reports that Nadal´s injury was an aggravation of something he picked up at the end of his match against Cilic. Not sure if this is entirely correct however as Nadal hasn´t confirmed anything as far as i´m aware.

gman2114
    SBR Rocks
    gman2114's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1279

Nadal is out. Now what does it do for everyone that bet the big four?

First 12