shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I dunno if it's such an obvious losing proposition long term. You often see a million or more pop up on offer at sub $1.10 in the closing minutes of soccer matches on Betfair. Looks like it could be a very profitable activity from the outside. I realize that's not like plonking a mill on a full tennis match though.
    Despite what most sane people will say, I do think there's something to be said for betting these big MLs if you have the bankroll to absorb the loss and the line is a fair approximation of the outcome of the match. The reason why the tennis followers are making cracks about this one though is because $1.08 in this match for this player was definitely not worthy of a million dollar bet. This was another perfect example of the books looking at rankings and blowing their loads on the line, with Aussie books taking it one step further as always.

Sure it won but there were approx 75 tennis matches played two days ago (when this was played) and there were much better ones to take the risk on, some for even a bit more profit. It just blows my mind that someone would look at this one particular match and think $1.08 for Shahar friggin Peer was worth a million dollar wager against a somewhat decent player. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards it being dodgy somehow or else the bettor was still drunk from NYE.

To try to somewhat compare it, this would be like having a one on one between Bosh and Wall. They're both great players but one is obviously much better at this point as far as experience, etc is concerned. But would you be willing to put down $1 million to win $80k on Bosh against Wall when you have the chance to bet Kobe vs the hotdog guy and LeBron vs Walton to almost make the same amount of money on the same day?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are brave taking that much action. Seems the have way more balls then any other bookie.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

lol.

Shari: isn't this the same bookie that cut you off from a $300.00 bet on college football when you don't even bet the sport?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    lol.

Shari: isn't this the same bookie that cut you off from a $300.00 bet on college football when you don't even bet the sport?
    Yeah. And then they did it with NBA team totals too which is crazy. But that's why I'm thinking this would be a good hit and run book. Even if they drop your limits after a few bets you'll have cashed out big and there's never a worry about getting your money.

shari91

Oh and it was in the paper today that a ton of people dropped big money on Hewitt when he was $1.04 in the 4th set and looked like the famous lock. At that point Nalby was $9. And I was happy with the $4.20 I managed to get live betting.

shari91

Oh and it was in the paper today that a ton of people dropped big money on Hewitt when he was $1.04 in the 4th set and looked like the famous lock. At that point Nalby was $9. And I was happy with the $4.20 I managed to get live betting.

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

...I need to learn about Tennis.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why do people bet those those so called locks late in matches?

You need to hit like 90% to break even or win a little

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Why do people bet those those so called locks late in matches?

You need to hit like 90% to break even or win a little
    The only thing I can guess is that it's either people chasing or they have a bet on the other side and are trying to recover what they think will be a loss. Makes no sense otherwise. Not in tennis at least.

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

Ok here's one for you peeps...

Today in Sydney there was a record bet taken with the biggest betting agency in Australia (TAB). They took a bet on NADAL paying 1.01 for 2.5 million dollars to win 25k!

The winnings were donated to the QLD Flood Victims!

Damn I wish I was a billionaire so I could out do this punter

decado
    decado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    shari, i thought live betting is banned in australia?

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

Quote Originally Posted by decado View Post
    shari, i thought live betting is banned in australia?
    Wrong. Live betting in Australia must be placed over the phone, you cannot place a live bet online.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by kingsr View Post
    Ok here's one for you peeps... Today in Sydney there was a record bet taken with the biggest betting agency in Australia (TAB). They took a bet on NADAL paying 1.01 for 2.5 million dollars to win 25k! The winnings were donated to the QLD Flood Victims! Damn I wish I was a billionaire so I could out do this punter
    Was reading about that in the paper today. At least the $25k went to a worthy cause

shari91

DP

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by kingsr View Post
    Ok here's one for you peeps...
    Today in Sydney there was a record bet taken with the biggest betting agency in Australia (TAB). They took a bet on NADAL paying 1.01 for 2.5 million dollars to win 25k!
    The winnings were donated to the QLD Flood Victims!
    Damn I wish I was a billionaire so I could out do this punter

This country is out of control!

Decado, kingsr is right. We have to call live bets in. Very frustrating and I get annoyed with it quickly because the odds usually change by the time you get through. Although there are times it's saved me cash because I was too lazy to make the call or the odds dropped while I was waiting on hold.

brad89
    brad89's Avatar Become A Pro!

You can livebet online here, just not on Aus. based books.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

ESPN announcer just said during the Wozniacki/Li match that someone lost a million betting Nadal last night.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

bump

First 12