darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Tennis-possibly on the fix?

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/11/2...elf-investiga/

The article is about possible inside information being leaked to some people who are using it for gambling information.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting and why would they wan't an investigation. They are making money too from this.

delpiero7
    delpiero7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1720

Can't see Federer ever fixing a match - the guy is worth well over $100m. How much could anyone offer him to fix a match? Also, the match in question was against Nadal at Roland Garros. Given Nadal's dominance over everyone on clay, it could hardly be called 'inside information' if he suggessted to someone that Nadal would most likely beat him. Also, Federer's quest to complete the career Grand Slam also makes this less believable. I can't imagine he'd take a wad of cash instead of his place in history.

If we were talking about someone like Davydenko, or plenty of guys ranked below 50, then that's a whole different story.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Berdych should be investigated

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

I have no doubt more than half the players have been involved in match fixing

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

So many guys fixing matches.

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10662

There was a woman who was caught on tape asking if she should get sick now and throw the match. Cant remember her name think she was German or something.

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

youznhy

kuznetsov

gabashvilli

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

All the fixing is lower level players, and blatantly obvious to anyone familiar with BetFair. When 100k excess money goes on one side, it can only go to betfair and pinnacle - nobody else takes decent stakes.

The Federer story is a nothing, just some rich guy gambling. 40k is nothing to a billionaire....... and he lost his bet too, he bet on Federer, Nadal won.

looch10
    looch10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

Quote Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
    Can't see Federer ever fixing a match - the guy is worth well over $100m. How much could anyone offer him to fix a match? Also, the match in question was against Nadal at Roland Garros. Given Nadal's dominance over everyone on clay, it could hardly be called 'inside information' if he suggessted to someone that Nadal would most likely beat him. Also, Federer's quest to complete the career Grand Slam also makes this less believable. I can't imagine he'd take a wad of cash instead of his place in history. If we were talking about someone like Davydenko, or plenty of guys ranked below 50, then that's a whole different story.
    This argument is incredibly naive. Not just because the personal greed of any one person cannot be underestimated, but that criminal organizations do not necessarily always fix matches by paying off players; they threaten the lives of players or family. How can you say you 'cant see Federer ever fixing a match because he's really rich,' but ignore the fact that the IMG and ATP heads - who are themselves very, very wealthy - are fixing or gambling on matches? If it's worth it to them, they will find a way to make it worth it to players, Federer included.

I'm not saying I have factual information on this particular scenario (we likely never will), but so often our admiration for the players and sports we love cloud the realm of possibilities for these types of situations and people involved. If we just consider the recent controversy IMG has been involved in, they were the 'handlers/enablers' of Tiger Woods' scandal, I think we need better reasons than 'he is worth $100 million' to absolve Federer. I hope we find those reasons.