beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Djokovic absence from Aussie ,effect on futures..

I know he hasnt said offically hes not gonna play there.But lets be honest he not getting the jab so he wont be going.This is not a thread to argue yes or no politically(plenty of that in other threads)to get it to be clear.I think youre gonna find out some others wont be going very soon as well for ATP and WTA so this will have an effect on the futures market.So you have to take into account covid shots in finding value on who to bet on to win it IMO.

I know nadal has had it and will be going.Zverev Im not sure,Medvedev either..TSITIPAS has been iffy and I think will get the shot from reading social
    Media and press reports

Joker is 5/4 at the moment .I think it would be very dumb to make any bets on him winning it considering what he has said and his familys statements recently.

Any discussion of the WTA futures would be welcome.

Basically every player that is healthy to play but does not show up you will know who is and isnt vaxxed.

dawg58kahn
    dawg58kahn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1235

hit Zverev to win every gransslam except for the french (i played tsiti in french)...Zverev is going to have a massive 2022

Jeff_Black
    Jeff_Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5068

Djokovic has been confirmed for the ATP Cup in Sydney as a lead up for the Australian Open.
    He hasn’t said anything personally but I’m guessing his management have confirmed to the tournament of his participation for the time being.

This of course doesn’t mean a whole lot as the tournament has five players listed from each country (whether everyone plays is a different thing)

Of course every other media outlet that has published the story of his participation has latched on to that simply hearing the news off the ATP website.

Despite the back and forth between governing bodies and whether you actually have to be vaccinated the confusion still exists by the statement that came out from TA.

“We can confirm that everyone entering Australia for the summer of tennis will need to meet the strict requirements set by health authorities across the country,” a TA spokesperson said.

“These include certified proof of vaccination, or a valid medical exemption approved by Australian medical officials.

“What has also been made clear by health officials is that international arrivals who don’t meet these requirements will need to quarantine for 14 days.”

To me that reads if you’re not vaccinated you have to do the quarantine like before vaccines became available.
    From my understanding the Commonwealth laws are the same thing.
    The less said about the Australian Government(s) and how much of a nanny state it is there the better, lol.

It would make sense seeing guys like Medvedev (confirming his participation for the AO) who hasn’t disclosed his status and guys like Rublev, Tsitsipas and Diego who have openly said they’re not taking it are there. Isner is also participating who is a known Trump supporter and has openly disliked mask wearing and probably vaccine hesitant as well.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5662

JB,

Thanks for your remarks!

Jeff_Black

No worries man, if anyone has more to add feel free to!
    I’m sure other stuff will become available as the time comes but I think Djok trolling the entire media is pretty hilarious.

Jeff_Black

Not that it means much right now but Novak Djokovic is on the entry list for the 2022 Australian Open.

Serena Williams is not and not expected to play. Vaccinated?

beefcake
    Update your status

Thanks jeff..saw that.Rumour's were circulating that he might be given an exemption and a 14 day quarantine instead but officials have squashed that bigtime saying no exemptions whoever who are.Except medical.I surely doubt anyone on the tour would pull an Antonio Brown and get a fake vaccine card right? Or would they?

Jeff_Black

Ultimately those decisions are up to the Commonwealth and not the government from what I read but it still seems like No one in the government and the media has a clue what the rules or guidelines are lol.
    Would have thought that’s what was being sorted out for the last month and a bit.

I think the exemption stuff is just a media spin but we’ll see.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yeah agree on the exemption.I think he really will try for one as this buys him time to save face and their able to put him on the entry list for the cup and the open.Hes not getting one unless their is some extreme health issue we know nothing about with him which I put at 0% of that.Guess their are a few out there that people have rightfully so but not a peak performance athlete like Novak.Id argue the most peak performance one on the planet.Hence how he got in this position in the first place.

Jeff_Black

I've noticed the only thing we won't know is whether he applied for it, and whether or not it was approved. As everything will be completely anonymous and confidential. So unless he reveals it, or unless there is a seriously dodgy rat within the ranks that will leak it to the media we will never know, unless he withdraws. But even then we will not know.
    This was a far cry from certain Australian politicians claiming they had the power to mandate vaccines and block anyone (notably Novak) if they weren't from coming into the country.
    But the 14 day quarantine thing is still there too so who knows.

There is talk of Nadal not being sure if he will play. It really has drawn away most of the attention away from other players who aren't prepared to come, even if it is not many (publicly anyway)

Jeff_Black

Quote Originally Posted by dawg58kahn View Post
    hit Zverev to win every gransslam except for the french (i played tsiti in french)...Zverev is going to have a massive 2022
    I was thinking about this, and 2022 would possibly be the worst year to get on futures even just in tournaments in general based off the rise of Covid cases. Quite literally it's a lottery on whether a player you back will get it over the course of a week or two if it's a bigger tournament. Regardless of their vaccination status (and whether or not they've had a third booster). Which some seem to suggest it offers better protection.
    But I imagine the supposed 95% of players towards the higher end of the rankings a lot of this would not include third.
    But who knows maybe players are smarter and more cautious of things.

And in cases where there are tens of thousands, and over 100,000 cases a day it feels like the risk doesn't benefit the reward. Unless of course the books inflate the odds a bit at times.
    Somehow 2021 was okay and the most difficult sport to transition into life after lockdowns/and the suspension of the sport in 2020 was handled pretty well considering all the logistics and cases in Europe and the States but 2022 is shaping up to be worse. From what I read on the ATP website they've put in a lot of Covid Safe/bubble measures to ensure the safety of the players and staff but I'm not sure how consistent that is over every tournament.

I don't remember if Zverev played in that Adria event or whether he withdrew but maybe Novak and those guys had the right idea catching it early and letting their immunity fight off (so far) the other variants regardless of whether they've been vaccinated. From memory only Dimitrov was knocked about but he was the one who bought it over on the plane but he's recovered from it since, even the lingering effects.
    And to the above Murray not catching it at Abu Dhabi after getting it this time last year.

beefcake
    Update your status

Well
    Was reading on a few sites this morning about the uncertainty on novak.Tilley seemed to hint and from what I read hes gonna try for the medical exemption.But like you said Jeff whatever the outcome we wont know the reason yeah or nay.He just will be in the main draw or not.Probably best for everyone involved if the reason is kept is strictest confidence.Cause if if gets out they gave him one the public backlash would be enormous.

I see a woman in the WTA took sputnik and they wont let her in dur to not being approved lol.
    And a aussie girl has refused to get vaxxed who was going to get a wildcard.Dam well she just pissed away that 50-60k first round money and those precious points.Hey but what are ya gonna do..

I agree with futures this year with Omicron is going to make futures bettiing a roll of the dice.

Jeff_Black

Yeah I just read some of Tiley's comments as well. It looks like some players/coaches have been granted medical exemptions to play whilst unvaccinated but no one will know who based off the process.

I think the telling sign is that he's playing in Sydney as a lead up. and as of a week before the event is scheduled to be played he's still on the list to play.

But since he hasn't commented on it since before the Paris Masters or so I think I doubt we will hear anything from him until he tells people he will be in Melbourne for the event.

I hope he waits till the last minute to tell everyone just to fcuk with the media lol.

Funnily enough, I get ads at times on facebook about the Australian Open, and stuff like getting tickets and there is a fair bit of funny trolling in the comments section regards to segregation and the tournament itself is copping quite the backlash itself in regards to that (not just from people from the Balkans). I think it's less onesided then people think but as usual with the media, we only hear one side of it.
    Last edited by Jeff_Black; 12-22-21 at 04:48 PM.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yeah isnt there a large balkan population in Australia? I seem to remember alot of support locally for players in past years.

Bring on de tennis man!! My fav sport to bet and IMO the best advantage over the house if you have time to break stuff down(I DONT LOL)

Jeff_Black

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Yeah isnt there a large balkan population in Australia? I seem to remember alot of support locally for players in past years.Bring on de tennis man!! My fav sport to bet and IMO the best advantage over the house if you have time to break stuff down(I DONT LOL)
    Yes there is somewhat, and in Melbourne I think even more so. We saw it at the Australian Open this year, and kind of at the ATP Cup when Nadal and Djokovic played each other and Nadal was visibly not impressed with how vocal the crowd was in Djokovic's favour, lol.

The talk about Novak kinda and almost is completely distracting from the other places who are openly against being forced to take a vaccine, especially the Russian guys (Medvedev, Rublev, and Tsitsipas who has Russian lineage). Who have not publicly spoken but nothing is written about them or whether they have had it. Then there are the examples of the one who had the Sputnik vaccine and various others who aren't here because of injuries and ones that flat out aren't playing (like Kuznetsova)

But I imagine Novak probably doesn't care too much for the talk considering he's probably known what he's going to do since he was announced on the entry lists for the ATP Cup and Aus Open. It's better then talking about the pressure of getting to #21 or even another Grand Slam as unthinkable as it is. As being asked about it a million times since he won the French was probably what drained him mentally when he got to the final, which it kind of showed.
    Maybe that's what got to Federer in that epic Wimbledon 2019 Final and Nadal at the French this year? who knows.

There will still be pressure I guess but may be not as much. Gonna be a fun season to follow all things considering!

kostasblues
    kostasblues's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 144

Sasha wins this.

beefcake
    Update your status

Guys hes not coming..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...a27d1869b97b7a

Sounds like just buying his time for the inevitable pull out.Hold those futures bets.

beefcake
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by kostasblues View Post
    Sasha wins this.
    He may well sir!

Jeff_Black

Everyone is guessing at this point really as there are two answers. Don't think anyone actually knows for sure.

If I had to (like everyone else) take a guess that is no more or less sure then anyone else in the media who hasn't got a clue what he's doing, my deep down hunch is he plays in the Australian Open regardless of his ATP Cup status.

Got a feeling the Omnicron cases wrecking havoc with New South Wales may be influencing his decision compared to Victoria which has more Delta, but at this rate seems to be spreading less and is potentially more avoidable as he has already played in places with Delta and perhaps his Covid antibodies or potential vaccine/booster is better equipped to handle it then Omnicron.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

I don't think they will bend the international traveler rules for him.

But can't see why they could not offer a test at the airport, and quarantine only if he fails.

beefcake
    Update your status

Well officially pulled out of the ATP cup.Getting close to the aussie..19 days..Wonder when he will make the final inevitable decision…Im sure Gerasimov is rooting for Novak to pull out cause hes the first alternate..

beefcake
    Update your status

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tenn...ennis-news/amp

Figures..Just like I thought…Fittest athlete on the planet.Whatever…

Futures odds are still up everywhere on Novak
    Might be time to place one on the other guys if you want the best value.2-1 on medvedev and 11/4 on Sasha..

Good luck everyone!

Jeff_Black

It's pretty hilarious. The Informer are saying it was denied, the Telegraf are saying he has been given the green light to compete after the Informer's report. Hopefully more of the main stream media outlets are smart enough to wait but I doubt it.
    This pretty much confirms no media outlet has a clue what's going on, it's pretty funny.

And this is not taking into account whether if at all there has been a request application medical exemption or whatever

If he doesn't play, it's a lucky guess
    Last edited by Jeff_Black; 12-30-21 at 03:30 PM.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yeah jeff maybe im guilty of jumping the gun lol..But yeah everyone seems to want the scoop..We will soon see

Jeff_Black

Looks like he has been practising in Spain at the Soto Tennis Academy using Australian Open Tennis Balls.
    One of his more popular places where he has practised in the past

I saw the Informers report on Twitter the other day and a few were tweeting about it but the same guy then mentioned the Telegrafs report so who knows hey?

Jeff_Black

And as I say that and right after he's personally confirmed he is on his way to Australia to participate in the Australian Open.
    Should have been a give away that he was coming once the footage of him practicing in Spain came out.

My guess is Tiley knew sooner but didn't say anything based of his comments over the weekend.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yeah now the PM said hes on the next plane home if he cant prove a valid reason for the exemption.Def getting a bit heated but looks like futures bets are safe now if you took him

beefcake
    Update your status

Well on second thought those futures may be toast.Looks like they denied him entry due to a incorrect ****..

Conqueror

What if he contracts COVID while in Australia?

Conqueror

His veesaa (this site won't accept the real spelling, surprised!) has been revoked.

Australia cancels Novak Djokovic's **** over COVID vaccine policy (msn.com)

Jeff_Black

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    What if he contracts COVID while in Australia?
    My guess he would have tested negative before departing and during arrival…don’t know how he will get it if he’s by himself in a hotel room or been mostly isolated since it we’ll see.

Vene1616
    6:1 6:0 6:2
    Vene1616's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19155

Daniil favored now.

bet365 has both players at 2.50 but it won't be long