1. #1
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Tennis picks

    I've decided to put my tennis picks in one thread so as not to start a new one for each pick.

    What I typically do for tennis is find a large discrepancy in talent and take the favorite. Yes, I know I'm a square bettor but let's see how that works.

  2. #2
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Bautista-Agut -4.5 over Youzhny
    One of my recent picks was Youzhny over Basic. I took this pick because Youzhny is retiring and this is his home tournament. Basic has done horribly in recent matches so I thought it would be good to bet on Youzhny.

    I wasn't impressed.

    Bautista-Agut is a prime player coming in ranked 26th. His only recent losses were against Top 100 players. B-A should have no problem with Youzhny even with Youzhny's extra efforts at home.

  3. #3
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Tsitsipas -3.5 over Berankis
    Total mismatch here as Tits is in the same league as B-A (see previous post). Berankis lost 9 matches in a row before beating Marterer who had only won 3 of 8 before his match with Berankis.

  4. #4
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Tsitsipas -3.5 over Berankis
    Total mismatch here as Tits is in the same league as B-A (see previous post). Berankis lost 9 matches in a row before beating Marterer who had only won 3 of 8 before his match with Berankis.
    Seems like there's always one tennis player to mess up my bets. Tits loses this one.

    One of the reasons I like to bet women's tennis is because it seems like there is less parity among the lady players. That allows me to bet the dominant women as I think they will win by more games than the men who are more equal. I could be wrong and this could be a misperception, who knows?

    Edit: So I'm looking at the point-by-point record. Tits wins the first set. In the second set it goes to tie-breaker. Tits is up 5-1 when he lets Berankis score 4 straight to tie at 5-5. Tits wins the next point to make it Match Point at 6-5 and fails to win the set. He then tanks the 3rd set.

    SMH.
    Last edited by QuantumLeap; 09-20-18 at 10:02 AM.

  5. #5
    DavidGoliath5003
    DavidGoliath5003's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-20-18
    Posts: 1,288
    Betpoints: 1634

    Berankis on his day is a great indoor hardcourt player... his favorite court. Agut should roll youhzny However, Agut may piss around a bit to not embaress Youhzny

  6. #6
    PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-23-07
    Posts: 3,327
    Betpoints: 228

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Bautista-Agut -4.5 over Youzhny
    One of my recent picks was Youzhny over Basic. I took this pick because Youzhny is retiring and this is his home tournament. Basic has done horribly in recent matches so I thought it would be good to bet on Youzhny.

    I wasn't impressed.

    Bautista-Agut is a prime player coming in ranked 26th. His only recent losses were against Top 100 players. B-A should have no problem with Youzhny even with Youzhny's extra efforts at home.
    Generally would agree with this pick, but this is Russia - and weird crap happens in Russia. The match with Basic was suspect to say the least. Basic's form completely took a 180 after he went up a break in the 1st set. That coupled with Youz going for his 500th win. I am staying away from this, but otherwise think it's a great pick and makes sense with the players involved.

  7. #7
    Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-08-13
    Posts: 8,807
    Betpoints: 20591

    Even though it's indoors, one would always expect Tsitsipas to roll over Berankis.

  8. #8
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGoliath5003 View Post
    Berankis on his day is a great indoor hardcourt player... his favorite court. Agut should roll youhzny However, Agut may piss around a bit to not embaress Youhzny
    I read before the match where Berankis likes the hardcourt and it did give me some pause for concern but I felt Tits was just too much for him. Thanks for the input.

  9. #9
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by PharaohUB View Post
    Generally would agree with this pick, but this is Russia - and weird crap happens in Russia. The match with Basic was suspect to say the least. Basic's form completely took a 180 after he went up a break in the 1st set. That coupled with Youz going for his 500th win. I am staying away from this, but otherwise think it's a great pick and makes sense with the players involved.
    That's funny about weird things happening in Russia and not in a way to put you down. I mean it in a way that it sounds amusing to me because I find it easy to believe. Lots of weird things happen in Russia. Lots of weird things happen in tennis as well that don't seem to happen in other sports.

    Thanks also for the input. This is good stuff.

  10. #10
    Steamroller
    Steamroller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-30-12
    Posts: 919
    Betpoints: 4364

    Quote Originally Posted by PharaohUB View Post
    Generally would agree with this pick, but this is Russia - and weird crap happens in Russia. The match with Basic was suspect to say the least. Basic's form completely took a 180 after he went up a break in the 1st set. That coupled with Youz going for his 500th win. I am staying away from this, but otherwise think it's a great pick and makes sense with the players involved.
    LOL this happens all the time in Tennis. Not just in Russia. Maybe you're blind when it comes to other tournaments. I mean did you see Paire's match moment ago? Guy is is in clown mode again and threw the match. I made some money with it though so no problem.

  11. #11
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller View Post
    LOL this happens all the time in Tennis. Not just in Russia. Maybe you're blind when it comes to other tournaments. I mean did you see Paire's match moment ago? Guy is is in clown mode again and threw the match. I made some money with it though so no problem.
    Yeah, this is a strange sport, isn't it?

  12. #12
    Steamroller
    Steamroller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-30-12
    Posts: 919
    Betpoints: 4364

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Yeah, this is a strange sport, isn't it?
    Yeah you never know if the player has better things to do than play Tennis.

  13. #13
    DavidGoliath5003
    DavidGoliath5003's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-20-18
    Posts: 1,288
    Betpoints: 1634

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller View Post
    Yeah you never know if the player has better things to do than play Tennis.
    Im convinced its almost WWE style... where the fck do they aquire the funds for ATP 250 or 500 events when the stands are empty?

    All the big guys will Deny Deny Deny

  14. #14
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGoliath5003 View Post
    Im convinced its almost WWE style... where the fck do they aquire the funds for ATP 250 or 500 events when the stands are empty?

    All the big guys will Deny Deny Deny
    Same with the ladies. They play some of these matches in what appears to be a city park with no spectators. On the ITF circuit they don't even have ball boys/girls. The players themselves have to clear the balls.

  15. #15
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Bautista-Agut -4.5 over Youzhny
    One of my recent picks was Youzhny over Basic. I took this pick because Youzhny is retiring and this is his home tournament. Basic has done horribly in recent matches so I thought it would be good to bet on Youzhny.

    I wasn't impressed.

    Bautista-Agut is a prime player coming in ranked 26th. His only recent losses were against Top 100 players. B-A should have no problem with Youzhny even with Youzhny's extra efforts at home.
    I think I'm going to stick with the ladies matches. I seem to have better resilts with them.

  16. #16
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Fun little parlay with the ladies-

    Anisimova/Puig/Kuzmova +120

    Anisimova: I've written about how well she's been playing in other threads.
    Puig: Her losses have been to top players. Her opponent Liu has been losing to lesser players.
    Kuzmova: Total mismatch in level of play. Her opponent Xiyu Wang has been playing the lower circuit and recently came into the big leagues.

  17. #17
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Well my girl Anisimova didn't come through.

    Kuzmova -4.5
    Talent disparity here.

  18. #18
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    One last one for the night:

    Rodina +6 over Bertens
    Bertens hasn't exactly been killing it in this tourney.

  19. #19
    Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-08-13
    Posts: 8,807
    Betpoints: 20591

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    One last one for the night:

    Rodina +6 over Bertens
    Bertens hasn't exactly been killing it in this tourney.
    How did Rodina fail to win a game in the last set?

  20. #20
    Thrilla
    Hillary my Queen
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-10-15
    Posts: 5,290
    Betpoints: 1569

    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    How did Rodina fail to win a game in the last set?

    Rodina first service win % was low through out entire match. Bertens made lesser errors as match progressed and noticed some fatigue with Rodina aswell. I'm glad I skipped +6 and went with +6.5 smh. Seriously had a gut feeling this could end up 6-0 Bertens in the third set just before it started lol.

  21. #21
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Rodina first service win % was low through out entire match. Bertens made lesser errors as match progressed and noticed some fatigue with Rodina aswell. I'm glad I skipped +6 and went with +6.5 smh. Seriously had a gut feeling this could end up 6-0 Bertens in the third set just before it started lol.
    I didn't watch the full match. When I saw the score of the last set I thought it might be like you said that she got fatigued. I'm surprised she didn't retire the match.

  22. #22
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Damn! I missed Hsieh and Q. Wang. I've been following both of those and they went off during early moening hours.

  23. #23
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    OK, so I'm 0-4-1 here in this thread so maybe a fade of my pick is in order. We've had some good dialogue in this thread so I think I'll continue.

    Sakkari +4 over Bertens
    Still fading Bertens. She hasn't impressed me with her play.

    Xiyu Wang -2.5 over King
    I underestimated this girl yesterday. Not this time.

    Puig/Hsieh/Peterson +142 (parlay)

    Kenin -2.5

    Gibbs -115
    Last edited by QuantumLeap; 09-21-18 at 08:55 PM.

  24. #24
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Hsieh -3.5 LIVE
    Hsieh up 4-3 with Tomljanovich serving.

    Hsieh is just toying with Tomljanovich. She made a couple unforced errors but will right the ship in the next games.

  25. #25
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Hsieh -3.5 LIVE
    Hsieh up 4-3 with Tomljanovich serving.

    Hsieh is just toying with Tomljanovich. She made a couple unforced errors but will right the ship in the next games.
    I haven't bet women's LIVE matches in awhile and now I remember why. Hsieh was up 4-1 in the first set when I made this bet. She was cruising. She made the best short shot I've ever seen, men or women, from the baseline a few feet over the net into her opponents court.

    I should have remember from past experience how these women's matches can change on a dime.

  26. #26
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    ITF Women Cairns - Final (9pm Eastern)
    Astra Sharma -124 over Destanee Aiava
    I've been following Astra for quite some time now ever since she beat a much better player a couple years ago. I've even found a web site that shows ITF matches live so I can watch her play:

    http://live.itftennis.com/en/live-scores/

    Astra has been demolishing her opponents so far in this tournament. It's in Cairns, Australia.

    Her opponent had a 5-match losing streak before playing against weak talent in this tournament to bring her to the finals.

  27. #27
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Peterson -2.5 over Babos
    Going mostly on Babos' poor recent form. I realize she's been playing some tough players but this has to have an affect on her.

  28. #28
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Peterson -2.5 over Babos
    Going mostly on Babos' poor recent form. I realize she's been playing some tough players but this has to have an affect on her.
    Should have known better than to bet the AH. King retired after falling way behind Q. Wang so I didn't cash that bet. Now Babos retires falling behind 1-4 in the 3rd.

    In what other sport is it acceptable to quite when falling behind? Can you imagine Tennessee quitting their football game today after falling behind 40-13 to Florida?

    That's just tennis I guess and should be factored in. I neglected to do that so I will take the blame.

  29. #29
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Stollar +105 over Nara
    Nara has lost her last 8 matches.

  30. #30
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Vekic -145 over Coco
    Even though Coco looked pretty decent in her last match (against Barty) she still hasn't won in her last 7 matches.

    Vekic has been a giant killer beating some top-ranked ladies recently.

  31. #31
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Q. Wang -171 over Sakkari
    I wasn't impressed watching Sakkari in her last match against Bertens. She had too many unforced errors.

    Wang has been a killing machine.

  32. #32
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Potapova -124 over Voegele
    I've been fading Voegele. She withdrew a couple matches ago and has sucked ever since.

    Potapova in top form.

  33. #33
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    All winners!!!

    Astra Sharma
    She went down 0-6 in the first set until the match was postponed. She won in 3 sets.

    Stollar
    Winner

    Vekic
    Coco retired. Had I bet this on the AH I would have been denied the winner.

    Q. Wang
    I'm going to have to keep my eye on her for future bets.

    Potapova
    She went up 4-1 in both the first and second sets. She lost the first set and squeaked out a win in the second to go on to win the 3rd.

  34. #34
    Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-12-11
    Posts: 13,807
    Betpoints: 10116

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    All winners!!!

    Astra Sharma
    She went down 0-6 in the first set until the match was postponed. She won in 3 sets.

    Stollar
    Winner

    Vekic
    Coco retired. Had I bet this on the AH I would have been denied the winner.

    Q. Wang
    I'm going to have to keep my eye on her for future bets.

    Potapova
    She went up 4-1 in both the first and second sets. She lost the first set and squeaked out a win in the second to go on to win the 3rd.
    Goid picks man. I was on kiki wang vekic. Vekic was lucky because coco fell down in 3rd set so she retired.

  35. #35
    QuantumLeap
    Glastonbury Tor at moonlight
    QuantumLeap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 5,273
    Betpoints: 3020

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    Goid picks man. I was on kiki wang vekic. Vekic was lucky because coco fell down in 3rd set so she retired.
    Thanks for the input. I wondered why she retired. I knew she had an ankle injury earlier and thought that'z why she hasn't been doing well.

1234 ... Last
Top