jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by robbypark View Post
    Well yeah, he's obviously still the best clay courter in the world and the favorite every time he plays on the clay, but the whole point of it is that I think Thiem has a real shot against him. You stated that his win against Nadal this year is irrelevant and at RG Nadal would beat him with ease. I'm simply saying that I used to agree with that sentiment but I no longer do. I honestly think Thiem can give him a battle this time and that he likely will be worth a flyer on the ML. I still think Nadal will/would likely beat him but it's not a foregone straight sets conclusion like it was last year, and next year I think Thiem could be a legit favorite to win the French. If Dominic stays healthy, he's definitely the one to be the next clay court king after Nadal.
    I didnt say the bold Robby, I think someone else in the thread said something to that effect, but I agree with you Nadal isnt the exact same as we've seen over the years and I think Thiem beats Nadal if they meet one another in a few days.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

We resume.....

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

nadal dominating

Clutchut12
    Clutchut12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    Busan, South Korea: Samuel Groth of Australia achieved a World Record of the fastest serve ever in tennis history with a service speed of 163.7 mph(263.4 kph) at the Busan Open 2012 Challenger

google is nice it will even help you win the 3rd question in sbr trivia sometimes
    Does groth play anymore? I used to bet that bums matches all the time but havent seen him in aling time.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchut12 View Post
    Does groth play anymore? I used to bet that bums matches all the time but havent seen him in aling time.
    retired
    Points Awarded:

Clutchut12 gave jtoler 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jtoler

Diego will have the point set up and then screw it up with a boneheaded shot

robbypark
    robbypark's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1313

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I didnt say the bold Robby, I think someone else in the thread said something to that effect, but I agree with you Nadal isnt the exact same as we've seen over the years and I think Thiem beats Nadal if they meet one another in a few days.
    Ah you're right, it wasn't you, my bad. I think Nadal vs Thiem will be a cracker of a match - maybe a five setter. I hope the oddsmakers give Dominic zero respect because I want to take a flyer on him.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

i can't believe del potro was questionable to even start tourny and now he's in the semis

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

If Diego "should have won" then he would have won more than 1 set. Simple as that. Fact is he couldn't compete with Nadal. I don't care if the match went on from the first day. Diego wouldn't stand a chance. Guy won 1 set and ppl are crying that he should have won the match. LMAO. Ppl straight clueless sometimes man. I'll never understand it.
    Points Awarded:

homie1975 gave Goat Milk 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    If Diego "should have won" then he would have won more than 1 set. Simple as that. Fact is he couldn't compete with Nadal. I don't care if the match went on from the first day. Diego wouldn't stand a chance. Guy won 1 set and ppl are crying that he should have won the match. LMAO. Ppl straight clueless sometimes man. I'll never understand it.
    he was on his way to winning 2 sets yesterday I think before the drizzle besides taking a set off of him here is not easy. you gotta go back to 2015 to when he last lost a set here and even then he only lost 1 the entire tourney. rafa looked much better today, like he literally got a shot in the arm or butt

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11029

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    ^ This

taking 1 set off rafa, especially set one, is much much much different than taking 3 sets off him when you have his attention

ask isner who took the first two sets off him many years ago at the french, then proceeded to lose 3 straight sets, And the match

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

he was on his way to winning 2 sets yesterday I think before the drizzle besides taking a set off of him here is not easy. you gotta go back to 2015 to when he last lost a set here and even then he only lost 1 the entire tourney. rafa looked much better today, like he literally got a shot in the arm or butt
    Even if Nadal lost 2 sets to start.....there's a 75% chance that he wins 3 sets in a row against a player like Diego.... you know how much energy you have to expend to beat Nadal 2 sets on clay? If you don't win that 3rd set (for a player at Diego's fitness level), you're pretty much FINISHED. If you lose set 3, you're done. You're not winning the 4th or 5th set at 50% energy against Nadal who is still at 100% in the 4th and 5th set.

kenshirooo
    kenshirooo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 386

I still wonder how Soderling managed to do that 9 years ago ...

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1204

nadal covers the -8.5 i almost had a few strokes during the last serivce game

but the ass picker, hair fixer, hand smeller prevailed? does have some kind of mental illness that he always does that with the scratching and fixing hair

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by kenshirooo View Post
    with power like Ive never seen before, his ground strokes were legendary in that match
    Points Awarded:

homie1975 gave jtoler 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

B_Millz
    B_Millz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3105

Can he cover 7 against the powerful Del Potro?

homie1975

Rafa had tendinitis in both of his knees that spring and his parents were going through a divorce. soderling did not face a physically or emotionally fit Rafa

that said, Soderling's two straight french finals appearances were very impressive even though he got run out of each final by Fed and Rafa respectively (09 and 10)

he, like Wawrinka in 2014, was straight crushing the ball right through the court

homie1975

with power like Ive never seen before, his ground strokes were legendary in that match
    yes, i said that also a few posts below yours. wawrinka did the same thing 14 or 15 vs Joker. he was destroying the ball from both wings

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Do either thiem or delpo have a decent shot is the real question. Has age finally caught up this FO?

kenshirooo

Delpo cannot win against Nadal. Thiem has the weapons but is not consistent enough imo.

DavidGoliath5003
    DavidGoliath5003's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3319

Nadal will cover 7 guy hits it from corner to corner.

cheechchooch
    cheechchooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

Delpo cannot win against Nadal. Thiem has the weapons but is not consistent enough imo.
    would not be so sure about that. delpo can take a set from rafa for sure, can he win? he needs to have a perfect day, then yes. delpo is playing amazing on clay this year aswell, don`t forget that

kenshirooo

I agree with you but he seemed tired against Cilic ... and taking 3 sets from Nadal on clay is going to be impossible if he's not at the top of his fitness imo.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

great run for the italian, can't imagine what his odds were to win his qtr had be well over 100-1

kenshirooo

He almost took one set from Thiem. He was the big surprise of this edition.

homie1975

He almost took one set from Thiem. He was the big surprise of this edition.
    almost took 2 sets (5-7 and 6-7)

DavidGoliath5003

Lol he didnt almost take two sets... Thiem held to Love almost every serve befor he stopped dicking around.. cecchinato was fighting for his life on every serve... Thiem almost blew a 6-3 tie breaker.... Cech almost had a set... he was nowhere near two sets

kenshirooo

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGoliath5003 View Post
    Lol he didnt almost take two sets... Thiem held to Love almost every serve befor he stopped dicking around.. cecchinato was fighting for his life on every serve... Thiem almost blew a 6-3 tie breaker.... Cech almost had a set... he was nowhere near two sets
    He missed such an easy volley !

DavidGoliath5003

He missed such an easy volley !
    Yeah he did... he almost gift wrapped a set, like he does alot at smaller tournaments

kenshirooo

What are your thoughts about Halep vs Stephens tomorrow ? Any spread to cover ?

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Homie, appreciate your tennis insight but come on with the Nadal bias. We get it, you want to sleep with him

DavidGoliath5003

What are your thoughts about Halep vs Stephens tomorrow ? Any spread to cover ?
    The Value is all on Stephens... i also think she will dominate the Slam events soon, like Serena once dominated

First 123