DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

wtf just happened in the Delpo/Almagro match?!?!?

After the first game in the 3rd set, Almagro has an injury timeout for some kind of leg injury. During the next game, Almagro falls during a point and just sits there for a while. Delpo being a great guy, goes over the net to Almagro's side to check on him to see if he's alright. They have some words and Almagro eventually gets up to continue. After holding his service game, Almagro bends over with his hands on his head and just stands there for like 10 seconds. Delpo hurries over to Almagro's side again to comfort him when suddenly Almagro collapses on his back and starts sobbing! His distress was so loud that I could even hear it on the stream, which I don't think I've ever experienced before. I felt really bad for the guy, I'm not sure if he was in immense pain or if the frustration of the injury just overcame him. I also didn't have commentating for the stream, so I probably missed some important details. Anyone else see it?

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor
    gorwin068's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4603

Yea man...I was watching it, you should not have missed anything based on what you described.
    It was really painful to watch...Almagro was lying on the floor and crying so badly because of the injury, he couldn't continue the match and he retired. And the act of Delpo is classy, although he is a well known nice gentleman.

I have not ever seen a male player crying such badly too, the previous one was probably Steve Johnson yesterday, he cried so badly too after winning the match, his father passed away earlier this month...

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor

DR225

Thanks for finding the clip man. I also saw the Johnson crying, at the time I thought it was because of how he triumphed, despite getting screwed over by the Ump earlier. I wasn't paying that much attention but I think he lost a match point and then hit his racket or something and then the Ump gave Coric the next point. So Johnson was arguing with the guy for a while and it looked like Johnson could potentially lose because of that decision, as it looked like he was going to lose the tiebreak to send the match to a 5th set. We learned about the father stuff later but even then, the Almagro display was way worse. I'm still kind of shaken up by it.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor

Regarding Almagro, I guess it is because that injury is a long-term one, which may have been distressing Almagro a lot for a long time, so it brings him such outburst of emotion this time...
    Actually I was thinking Del Potro might be retiring soon in this match, he was affected by injury and he couldn't move and serve well in 2nd set and lost it too. The live betting line was moving all the way round too...
    But then in the 3rd set, that injury of Almagro happened...

DR225

Wow, I didn't know Delpo was looking bad physically. I only started watching the match in the 3rd set because it was one set all and Delpo was like -150 live, despite starting the match at around -440, so I thought something weird was happening. Thanks for that info man.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor

Yea the live betting line was turning all the way round, crazy enough...

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

Wow, Delpo is a class act