w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

John Patrick-Smith tomorrow?

Taken a beating the past day or so. NO WTA for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking at Delray tomorrow, and it seems that John Patrick-Smith has some good value. He's strung together 3 wins at the event, and I think Delpo may be getting a little too much credit from the books for his win. Yes, the 6-1 6-4 scoreline looks straight-forward, but Kudla was just terrible. Delpo basically beat Kudla with one hand, using a lot of backhand slices, and not hitting the 2 handed backhand with much confidence. That said, I don't know anything about Patrick-Smith.

What do we think?
    Last edited by w@lt; 02-17-16 at 08:50 PM.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Who dat ? I kinda follow tennis and I have no idea who that fella is. Might be not a good idea to back a bottom feeder against JMDP. He might crap his pants, Kudla style.

Charlie000
    Charlie000's Avatar Become A Pro!

I get you're thinking but John Patrick Smith is not a person I would put money on to find out Delpo's condition. JPS is a decent challenger player at best and a choker which leads me to believe if he doesn't get beat 6-2 6-3 then he'll choke. Delpo in 2

w@lt

I'm on J-P

w@lt

Meh. Good for Delpo, but JP just isn't very good.

novicebeast
    novicebeast's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Delpo almost blew the second set but won it in the end.....

MGTennisTipster
    MGTennisTipster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2084

Despite winning the match, Del Potro's backhand is miles away from his old one. He's just unable to generate any sort of pace with that shot, but at least he plays it with good consistency, not giving free points to his opponent with it. Not sure what is going on with that backhand, if is some chronic condition from the wrist and doesn't allow him to hit the backhand, if he's still in recovery process or just lack of confidence.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Yeah, MGT is right, no idea what is going on with his backhand, JMDP is not winning any matches against non-challenger players with that style of play. And his forehand is not really that deadly right now, his serve appears to be off too. He was lucky to play two bad players but a decent top-50 player should beat him no problem.

w@lt

Big on Chardy tonight?

w@lt

I'm in big on Chardy.

MGTennisTipster
    MGTennisTipster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2084

It should be an interesting contest, with both players looking to control the rallies with their forehand and avoid as max as possible to hit backhands. Despite not being able to generate much power with the backhand, DelPo's backhand has been extremely consistent and on the other hand, Jeremy uses to give plenty of free points with missed backhands.

Both haven't been serving at good level, on the previous match Chardy only placed 49% first serve, with 6 aces / 7 double faults and faced 6 break points. Del Potro was broken three times by Smith, with the Australian attacking the second serve to Del Potro's backhand and rushing into the net.

Both are great friends and it might not be easy for Chardy to present the required competitive mindset in a lower level event against a friend that had two tought years. I believe the serve will be crucial for this match, whoever places more % and gets the control in the rally should win the point.

Best of luck to all

w@lt

Quote Originally Posted by MGTennisTipster View Post
    It should be an interesting contest, with both players looking to control the rallies with their forehand and avoid as max as possible to hit backhands. Despite not being able to generate much power with the backhand, DelPo's backhand has been extremely consistent and on the other hand, Jeremy uses to give plenty of free points with missed backhands.

Both haven't been serving at good level, on the previous match Chardy only placed 49% first serve, with 6 aces / 7 double faults and faced 6 break points. Del Potro was broken three times by Smith, with the Australian attacking the second serve to Del Potro's backhand and rushing into the net.

Both are great friends and it might not be easy for Chardy to present the required competitive mindset in a lower level event against a friend that had two tought years. I believe the serve will be crucial for this match, whoever places more % and gets the control in the rally should win the point.

Best of luck to all
    Thanks for the insight

Charlie000
    Charlie000's Avatar Become A Pro!

Told you w@lt JPS is shite Dlepo with no backhand is still too good for him