w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

The Federer vs. Djokovic

First of all, I am really bummed that this is the late match, and will be at 3am EST. I will most likely miss most of it. Maybe I will try to get to bed really early and wake up for it.

Initially, I liked Fed. It looks like rain all evening, and I thought a closed roof on Laver would favor Fed, being faster and with no wind. I'm reading conflicting reports on the court, some saying that it will actually be slower and cooler with the roof closed?

Man, it just seems that Fed definitely has/had the tools and form to beat Nole, but has just not executed in Slams. Seems so different than simply lacking the game to win.
    Last edited by w@lt; 01-27-16 at 09:33 AM.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

I feel the same way about this match as I did about Maria v. Serena even though Feds has beaten him a few times recently [but not in a best of 5-I believe Feds last win over Djoko in a best of 5 was '12 Wimby]

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47610

Quote Originally Posted by w@lt View Post
    First of all, I am really bummed that this is the late match, and will be at 3am EST. I will most likely miss most of it. Maybe I will try to get to bed really early and wake up for it.

Initially, I liked Fed. It looks like rain all evening, and I thought a closed roof on Laver would favor Fed, being faster and with no wind. I'm reading conflicting reports on the court, some saying that it will actually be slower and cooler with the roof closed?

Man, it just seems that Fed definitely has/had the tools and form to beat Nole, but has just not executed in Slams. Seems so different than simply lacking the game to win.
    agree, I'm bummed as well that it is on so late

also not happy that the ESPN coverage does not start until a few hours after play begins each day

rooting hard for Fed, really want to see him hoist another major trophy

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Yup bummer it's so early in the morning. I was thinking of going home from work and going to bed. Wake up for the match and go to work Thursday. Shoot I'm off Friday so I just might.

Go Fed!

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop
    JohnnyRudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4095

Called in sick today after the Murray match. Canceling my morning meetings tomorrow looks like.

w@lt

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    I feel the same way about this match as I did about Maria v. Serena even though Feds has beaten him a few times recently [but not in a best of 5-I believe Feds last win over Djoko in a best of 5 was '12 Wimby]
    I think this is different than Maria-Serena. Maria just doesn't seem to have the tools to beat Serena. On the other hand, Fed is perfectly capable of beating Djoker, but it seems he just hasn't executed as of late

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Well, Serena is 20-2 vs Maria and Feds is 22-22 vs Djoker. So obviously, this is nothing like Maria vs Serena. As for the roof, they say b/c of the A/C, at this particular venue the court becomes a little slower and the bounce a little lower. Not sure it will change that much though.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

I didn't compare the all-time records/match histories, just said I feel the same way about this match as I did Maria v. Serena
    I don't think Feds can outduel Djoko in a 5 setter

w@lt

According to Brad Gilbert, the closed roof slows the court down about 17%, lower ball bounce. From what I gather, slow courts help Djoker, low ball helps Fed.

Steamroller
    Steamroller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5201

Djoker 3-0 or 3-1 if he gets sloppy.

SCI
    SCI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5766

I'll be rooting for Fed.

I think Fed would have a better chance during a warm sunny day with a few more aces and free points on serve.

During the night, in slower conditions, Fed cannot rally with Joker consistently enough to win. Joker will need to be off his game or Fed to be really on his. Djoker just has the more consistent, high % game in rallies. That's what makes Djoker almost impossible to beat.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

every year, the best matches are at this time in the quarters and semis (in other words, the men's matches)

prime time in Melbourne

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

Looking forward!

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Quote Originally Posted by badgerguy View Post
    Yup bummer it's so early in the morning. I was thinking of going home from work and going to bed. Wake up for the match and go to work Thursday. Shoot I'm off Friday so I just might.

Go Fed!
    Just woke up lol. Will now be up till late Friday morning lol. Oh well. A Fed victory will make it all worth it.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

In a best of 5, Fed will never beat Joker. Unfortunately.

SCI
    SCI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5766

Fed will need to be firing on all cylinders (ala Cilic US Open) to beat Joker. It's possible.

barry cougar
    barry cougar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16200

I live in Melbourne and it is very humid today. Lots of rain overnight and maybe some more this evening.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Doesn't the line say it all? As much as I'd love Fed to win this I wouldn't put any serious money on him even at those odds and I love a tennis dog.

Imo Fed has to win the first set to have any chance, doesn't have to do it convincingly just has to grind it out. Crowd will be behind him, the ozzies love an underdog and if he gets that first set it should get loud. I mean who doesn't want to see the great man lift another slam trophy!

Geez that total line looks sharp, I'm tempted by the over but it'd be a sweat I think it'll land right around there. Something like 7-5, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3.