SlaytheBook
    SlaytheBook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2575

how are players compensated if they retire?

Curious if anyone knows how retirements in tennis matches are treated for the retiring player from an incentive standpoint.

Are there rules which govern this based on tier of tourney (250, 500, 1000, etc)?

I don't imagine the opponent would get paid less, but does the retiring player?

For instance, if a player is down 2-0 in sets and is losing in the third set - is there any financial incentive for him to complete the 3rd set as a loss vs. taking an early retirement?

Are there any other repercussions longer term? (points, reputation, etc)

Always wondered this - anyone with insight care to weigh in?

thanks in advance and good luck with your plays today.
    -STB

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Good questions. Shari chime in

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

I guess no one on the site can answer these questions?

SirtySree
    SirtySree's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Not 100% sure with the answer but I am pretty sure you don't suffer consequences for genuine retirements. I do know that shady retirements can be referred and loss of ranking points or fines are possible.

There was a doubles match last week where one of the players injured their shoulder in warmups and wanted to retire after the first couple of games but the umpire threatened them with loss of all ranking points and prize money from that tournament. No idea if the umpire actually has the right to do that but it resulted in that one player serving underarm and pretty much tanking the rest of the match.

ATC727
    ATC727's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

They are guaranteed a fixed amount for reaching each round. Walkover , retire or win..don't matter how it is done .

So if round 1 each player gets $2,000
    Round 2 $4,000
    Round 3 $6000 and someone retires at this round they will get $12,000 regardless.

There is no penalty for retiring before or during a match

SirtySree

^ I thought the same until that doubles Challenger match last week. Managed to find a video of the match but can't find the interview where De Paula said they would lose the semi-final prize money if he retired.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Quote Originally Posted by SirtySree View Post
    ^ I thought the same until that doubles Challenger match last week. Managed to find a video of the match but can't find the interview where De Paula said they would lose the semi-final prize money if he retired.

That dude serving is a bitch. Guessing they are spanish/brazilian team. 3 under hand serves in a row...ok, I get that if it's a genuine shoulder injury, but then on love-40 you try a bullshit 2 mph over hand serve that could obviously complicate a pre-existing shoulder injury even more with the more unnatural movement. What a fukkin mockery of the sport. This guy is obviously just being a super bitch like most spanish/latin/argentinian players are, etc. If this is challenger play I'm dusting my racquet back off. Croats should just be teeing off on that poor guy at net. Right for his face or nuts everytime with that infant 3 year old serve.

SirtySree

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKerrsJunk View Post
    That dude serving is a bitch. Guessing they are spanish/brazilian team. 3 under hand serves in a row...ok, I get that if it's a genuine shoulder injury, but then on love-40 you try a bullshit 2 mph over hand serve that could obviously complicate a pre-existing shoulder injury even more with the more unnatural movement. What a fukkin mockery of the sport. This guy is obviously just being a super bitch like most spanish/latin/argentinian players are, etc. If this is challenger play I'm dusting my racquet back off. Croats should just be teeing off on that poor guy at net. Right for his face or nuts everytime with that infant 3 year old serve.
    De Paulo is right handed but was serving and playing left handed after he was forced to play on.

The post above is obviously due to some anger towards players from that part of the world so I won't add more to my post.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Quote Originally Posted by SirtySree View Post
    De Paulo is right handed but was serving and playing left handed after he was forced to play on.

The post above is obviously due to some anger towards players from that part of the world so I won't add more to my post.
    I am sooooooooooo mad!!!!!!!

SlaytheBook
    SlaytheBook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2575

ATC727 - thanks for the input.

Do the same terms apply to every tier of tennis tournament re: a retirement?

It looks like SirtySree references an example where different rules could apply, based on the discretion of the almighty umpire. I saw another article on this recently (i think posted on SBR) - where an umpire almost fined a player for "lack of effort" in a point, even though the player was already winning and went on to win the match. I don't see any reason why a player shouldn't be allowed to "tank" a point/game/set to conserve energy in order to close out the victory later. Not great for TV... but players get paid on results, not effort.

ATC727
    ATC727's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

I am not sure about Doubles.....I dont follow doubles.

Okay LACK OF EFFORT IS MAJOR PENALTY. So if a player truly just hits the ball out of spike in purpose that would be a "no attempt" and results in major fine. ITF also has major penalties on this......that is also another preventantive method so us degenerates cannot fix games *cough cough*...

So, that is different than actually retiring....For the most tournaments ATP WTA you are guaranteed a certain amount of money per round.