MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Dodig over Ferrer

Dodig is a very live dog here. Ferrer has been bad lately. Very bad. He even struggled against Russell yesterday. Russell had 11 break opportunities but only cashed 2 of them. Ferrer jumped on him early in the 3rd set and Russell was done. I think Dodig has a really good shot today. Thoughts?

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that Dodig is not physically ready to beat him considering how much tennis he has played here (3 setters + doubles) compared to other tournaments and he trained less this season than before due to wedding.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree with zec. Dodig was not great against Seppi at all and you can't take much from ball bashing a win over Isner. Ferrer is not great here, so not a total shock if he flops but I don't really have confidence with either side. Think there would be better dog tries on maybe Gasquet or Lopez, but trust your gut at the end of the day.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

Lopez, is a live dog. Berdy playing like he's top 50 these days. Not top 10

matt1216

SirtySree
    SirtySree's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    I made a post earlier about Berdych in another thread. Statistically, he deserves to be the number 5 ranked player. You could even argue that he should be number 4.

Quite a few ppl on here seem to hate him and don't see him as a top 10 player but have no real evidence to back it up.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by SirtySree View Post
    I made a post earlier about Berdych in another thread. Statistically, he deserves to be the number 5 ranked player. You could even argue that he should be number 4.

Quite a few ppl on here seem to hate him and don't see him as a top 10 player but have no real evidence to back it up.
    I can't agree with you on that. Berdych just is not clutch these days. He may have solid stats but look at who he has lost to recently? Plus you can't take him anymore vs a large server because he has one of the worst return of serves that I have seen from a top 10 guy in a long time. For a big man he does have a great return game, when in a rally.

SirtySree

I can't agree with you on that. Berdych just is not clutch these days. He may have solid stats but look at who he has lost to recently? Plus you can't take him anymore vs a large server because he has one of the worst return of serves that I have seen from a top 10 guy in a long time. For a big man he does have a great return game, when in a rally.
    If you can find those post I made, you will see that just this year alone, Berdych has beaten everyone under him in the top 20 already except a few who he hasnt versed. Also in terms of who he has lost to, name the bad losses this year cause there are none. One maybe being Berlocq on clay but that wasnt a bad loss as it was not only in a final, but Berlocq was on fire and took down Raonic in straight sets who is ranked 6. Berdych is having his best year in terms of win/loss percentage.

matt1216

If you can find those post I made, you will see that just this year alone, Berdych has beaten everyone under him in the top 20 already except a few who he hasnt versed. Also in terms of who he has lost to, name the bad losses this year cause there are none. One maybe being Berlocq on clay but that wasnt a bad loss as it was not only in a final, but Berlocq was on fire and took down Raonic in straight sets who is ranked 6. Berdych is having his best year in terms of win/loss percentage.
    Pospisil x 2 in the last 12 months alone... Pospisil was ranked outside the Top 100 when he lost the first time. Second time around Pospisil made him look like a fool... Berdych was up a set vs Berloc and lost the final set 6-0.... That's a mental problem.... Lopez on grass, nothing to be ashamed of but that's another ranked below him.

matt1216

He was also destroyed by gulbis in 3 sets.... Berdych shoulda atleast won a set there but again, his mental games his terrible... He lost to Dmitrov, not in the top 10 all below him.

SirtySree

Pospisil x 2 in the last 12 months alone... Pospisil was ranked outside the Top 100 when he lost the first time. Second time around Pospisil made him look like a fool... Berdych was up a set vs Berloc and lost the final set 6-0.... That's a mental problem.... Lopez on grass, nothing to be ashamed of but that's another ranked below him.
    You could pick apart every single player thats ranked under Berdych if we go by your method. Every players ends the season with double digit losses with bad losses here and there. In terms of Berdych, his losses are far less worse then the players under him. Theres a reason why he is ranked 5 cause that how tennis works. You don't just pick and chose a few games and decide on the ratings, you look at the whole picture.

matt1216

Berych might even lose again to lopez.... I used to back him all the time but she's sketchy vs anybody in the top 20 even

SirtySree

He was also destroyed by gulbis in 3 sets.... Berdych shoulda atleast won a set there but again, his mental games his terrible... He lost to Dmitrov, not in the top 10 all below him.
    So what you are saying is that cause he is ranked 5, he's not suppose to lose to anyone ranked under 5.

Also as I said, he's beaten everyone ranked under him in the top 20. Yes he lost to these two but he also beat these two in other encounters this year.

matt1216

You could pick apart every single player thats ranked under Berdych if we go by your method. Every players ends the season with double digit losses with bad losses here and there. In terms of Berdych, his losses are far less worse then the players under him. Theres a reason why he is ranked 5 cause that how tennis works. You don't just pick and chose a few games and decide on the ratings, you look at the whole picture.
    I understand that, I just feel he isn't clutch, that's all. He crumbles in the big moments.... Vs guys in the top 10.... If he's top 10 matierial, you have to win more than some of these matches

SirtySree

Ok Matt, going to break it down to you real easy here. Heres top 10 player stats for this year.

Raonic ranked 6, 1- 6 against top 10 players with 1 win being against Murray. Lost to Berlocq and Gojo (ranked 100+)
    Ferrer ranked 7, 2-4 against top 10 players. Lost to Berlocq also, and Brands/Gabash/Kuznetsov.
    Dimi ranked 8, 5-5 against top 10 players. No real bad losses either like Berd but his ranking was lower in 2013 otherwise he would be ranked 6 atm.
    Murray and Del Potro make up last two spots of top 10 but wont go thru them as Murray sucked so far and Del Potro injured.

Then we look at Berdych again, 2-3 against top 10 players. Lost to Berlocq and the rest were high ranked players.

That alone should be enough to tell you Berdych deserves to be number 5 but add that along with wat I posted above and it will tell u exactly why he is 5th.

matt1216

Ok Matt, going to break it down to you real easy here. Heres top 10 player stats for this year.

Raonic ranked 6, 1- 6 against top 10 players with 1 win being against Murray. Lost to Berlocq and Gojo (ranked 100+)
    Ferrer ranked 7, 2-4 against top 10 players. Lost to Berlocq also, and Brands/Gabash/Kuznetsov.
    Dimi ranked 8, 5-5 against top 10 players. No real bad losses either like Berd but his ranking was lower in 2013 otherwise he would be ranked 6 atm.
    Murray and Del Potro make up last two spots of top 10 but wont go thru them as Murray sucked so far and Del Potro injured.

Then we look at Berdych again, 2-3 against top 10 players. Lost to Berlocq and the rest were high ranked players.

That alone should be enough to tell you Berdych deserves to be number 5 but add that along with wat I posted above and it will tell u exactly why he is 5th.
    I don't think you understand what I'm trying to get at... Yes Berdych has been good.... The guy will never win a slam, his mental game is still.... Also he just lost to Pospisil.... Again, lopez again. How is djoker,Nadal,Murray(other than this year) and federer vs top 10 players... You can't factor in Raonic, he has played Djokovic and Nadal 4 times this year... So he's really 1-2. I think the part that pissed me off about Berdych was his collapse vs gulbis in 3 sets and his loss vs Pospisill again and lopez again. That tells me he has no confidence in beating these guys. Taonic has atleast won more tournaments than Berdych in the last year as well.

SirtySree

For starters, you said Berdych isnt a top 10 player and is playing like a top 50 player. My reply was solely to that so I understand perfectly wat u were saying.

As for his loss to Gulbis, Gulbis took down Federer before it who is above Berdych. Gulbis also lost to a bunch of 100+ players this year so lets not even talk about him. Then you talked about Nadal and Djokovic against top 10 players. Why are we even talking about them? They aren't relevant as Berdych isn't ranked above them so it's only relevant to talk about players just under him which I have already showed you meaning Berdych is fair to be ranked 5th which again is the whole point of this conversation when you made that first post.

matt1216

For starters, you said Berdych isnt a top 10 player and is playing like a top 50 player. My reply was solely to that so I understand perfectly wat u were saying.

As for his loss to Gulbis, Gulbis took down Federer before it who is above Berdych. Gulbis also lost to a bunch of 100+ players this year so lets not even talk about him. Then you talked about Nadal and Djokovic against top 10 players. Why are we even talking about them? They aren't relevant as Berdych isn't ranked above them so it's only relevant to talk about players just under him which I have already showed you meaning Berdych is fair to be ranked 5th which again is the whole point of this conversation when you made that first post.
    Yes, you're above points are correct. Ok, so let's go with this. Out of the top 10 players has anyone other tha Berdych, lost to the same player that is ranked much further below him, twice? For a guy in the top 10, I figured seeing the same opponent again, maybe he would make some adjustments? Pospisil was crap befor he beat Berdych..... Both times actually.

SirtySree

Yes, you're above points are correct. Ok, so let's go with this. Out of the top 10 players has anyone other tha Berdych, lost to the same player that is ranked much further below him, twice? For a guy in the top 10, I figured seeing the same opponent again, maybe he would make some adjustments? Pospisil was crap befor he beat Berdych..... Both times actually.
    Losing to Pospisil the 2nd time doesnt count as a bad loss. Pospisil is ranked high now so not relevant to use him as an example but I am sure Berdych probably has lost to someone outside the top 100 twice. So have the other players under him in the top 10 but not going to waste my time digging up those player names for you. You can do that yourself.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Berdych is definitely not the same player who was playing in JAN-MARCH. Since Miami he has not been producing like you want a Top Ten player never mind a Top Five player. He should be involved in the quarters minimum in most tournaments - not the case.

SirtySree

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Berdych is definitely not the same player who was playing in JAN-MARCH. Since Miami he has not been producing like you want a Top Ten player never mind a Top Five player. He should be involved in the quarters minimum in most tournaments - not the case.
    Definitely. Hasn't been great since his retirement against Nadal and when clay season began but luckily for him, he still deserves to be number 5 cause most players just under him aren't firing at the moment either except Raonic and maybe Dimi. Will need to up his game or he will be below Raonic very soon and only a matter of time before the likes of Murray and even Del Potro come back up the ladder.