JC1186
    JC1186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4225

Qualifying Matches - The Hidden Value - "What's Yours?" Thread.

There was discussion earlier about Challenger Matches and punters/bookies getting the odds wrong.

Well imo Qualifying matches are even better. The primary reason is this - They're much more motivated to make the main draw due to the prize money, compared to the poorly paid prize money in most Challenger tournaments.

So just like Challenger tournaments, there's less liquidity and the odds aren't as sharp. However motivation (lack thereof) most definitely will cost you. You generally don't have that worry with Qualifying matches.

Feel free to join in. Only post when you feel it's value given the odds.

---

So here it goes.

Feel like Pavic is underrated by the books here. He just beat Darcis and took Lu to a 3rd set TB a few days ago.

Nothing too flash. Sure. But Stakhovski, albeit good on grass (he took out Fed last year at Wimbledon) can play some pretty horrible tennis too. And that happens quite frequently. Pavic has some big weapons and has the game to keep it close.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 9.21.45 pm.jpg

Cessation
    Cessation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 762

The thing to be careful of with qualifiers is the lucky loser spots.

Stakhovsky is the #1 alt atm I believe so in this case if there is a withdrawal and any funny business it will work in your favour.

JC1186

Quote Originally Posted by Cessation View Post
    The thing to be careful of with qualifiers is the lucky loser spots.

Stakhovsky is the #1 alt atm I believe so in this case if there is a withdrawal and any funny business it will work in your favour.
    Great to have someone mention that from the get go. Yes, that's very important.

However it doesn't apply here. Stak is actually the #6 seed. And this isn't the final round of qualifying.

ManeOnFire
    ManeOnFire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Good thread. Can't really contribute much but pretty confident Murray has a great chance of winning Wimbledon.

Cessation

Quote Originally Posted by JC1186 View Post
    And this isn't the final round of qualifying.
    Yes I should have checked that.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=448801

Stak is listed as first alt here. He is 6th seed because a couple of guys have taken wc's to qualies or passed him in the rankings since the entry close. How does that effect the awarding of a luck loser spot? If this was the final round would Stak get it or Sousa if they both lost?

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

I like this JC, I think there's tons of value in the qualifying rounds.... You do usually have to take the sharp plays only here. The lucky losers seem to bite me in the ass from time to time as well... Nice hit above btw!

Cessation

Ok according to the atp rulebook it is qualifying seedings that determine the lucky loser not the rankings as at entry deadline as I thought.

JC1186

Quote Originally Posted by Cessation View Post
    Ok according to the atp rulebook it is qualifying seedings that determine the lucky loser not the rankings as at entry deadline as I thought.
    Thanks for that. Was just checking myself.

Good to know. Thought it was still seeding. Thank you very much sir.

Just to clarify, on the ATP site it does in fact have Stak as 6th seed. Would this not be official?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2014/440/qs.pdf

JC1186

Stakhovsky the better player in the first two sets.

Up until the TB in the 2nd. Pavic, with help of his big serve, was clutch, and took it 7-2. I was glad to see it reach the TB because he has an excellent record.

Classic Stak so far. Pavic just broke in first game of the third set. Stak with a classic hangover from being the better player with no reward.

2-0 in the third. I'm feeling optimistic about solid serving from here, while Stakhovski mugs about wondering how he's down in this match.

*Edit. 3-0 with the double break. Ahhh love it! What a delightful collapse.

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

good call, know that ante pavcic is trash mate must be solid to come back on darcis

JC1186

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    good call, know that ante pavcic is trash mate must be solid to come back on darcis
    This is Mate, Cappins. He's 20 years old and a solid young gun.

Ante is around the late 20's mark I'm pretty sure.

JC1186

Hmmm, break back to 30 with 2 double faults in the game. Definite signs of concern given he had 1 DF for the match up until that game.

*Edit. Wowsers what an unbelievable collapse! Should have laid off @ 1.08 on Betfair. A big ass DAMNSKIIS!
    Last edited by JC1186; 06-14-14 at 12:14 PM.

JC1186

Quote Originally Posted by JC1186 View Post

---

So here it goes.

Feel like Pavic is underrated by the books here. He just beat Darcis and took Lu to a 3rd set TB a few days ago.

Nothing too flash. Sure. But Stakhovski, albeit good on grass (he took out Fed last year at Wimbledon) can play some pretty horrible tennis too. And that happens quite frequently. Pavic has some big weapons and has the game to keep it close.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 9.21.45 pm.jpg
    Well a good start to a potentially very interesting (imo) thread. The bookies did indeed get it wrong. Winner!

kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

You are sharp Great hit

JC1186

Quote Originally Posted by kenz View Post
    You are sharp Great hit
    Cheers kenz.

JC1186

Qualifying Bet #2.

I analysed markets yesterday and penciled in Schmiedlova as the standout. I just didn't know the odds.

Her game is well suited to grass. She is improving all the time. Has great movement, the better serve of the two, and importantly, she's superior mentally.

She hasn't achieved much on the faster surfaces yet. However I genuinely have faith in her abilities. She's a player I'll be watching closely and anticipate sneaking some value while she steadily improves.

Imo Bencic's level is noticeably lower than what it was earlier in the year. So she's being overestimated here. I expected as much, but 2.90 is quite nice.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 12.58.09 pm.jpg

I'm rolling yesterday's stake+winnings into this. Usually I'd stick 3-5 units on it, but what the hell. This thread is forcing my hand hehe.

Cappinpicks

any sure thing favorites?

Marillion
    Marillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3006

Hey guys anybody making plays on the Wimbledon qualies? I took a break from betting but still follow things and wonder if anybody is betting on these. I suppose Sorensen shouldn't be a dog against Jaziri today.

kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Hey guys anybody making plays on the Wimbledon qualies? I took a break from betting but still follow things and wonder if anybody is betting on these. I suppose Sorensen shouldn't be a dog against Jaziri today.
    Disagree Marillion. Jaziri should be the fav but looks like he might be inj

Cappinpicks

any good plays u like thats left?