kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

How do you deal with them?

Hi Guys,

Been sportsbetting since 2012 February, and I need some help if I will continue doing this. I have no problem with having losses or losing streaks but I just cant stop doing some things I dont want to. Some first to stuck my mind are

-I always follow my bet point by point, I cant forget it till it ends.

-Somehow I dont sleep well if I bet at least 2-3 games that day compared to a no-bet day.

-I waste a lot of crucial time. I cant use my daily-time efficiently.

-I sometimes forget things I need to do.

-I get moody, irritable and pessimistic.

Can you deal with them?

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

Same way man... I believe you are up since you started betting right? Maybe try to think like "who cares if I lose this one, I will still be up" kind of thing. It doesn't help if you post here because then you feel extra pressure hoping it goes through for those who have tailed you.. Another one you didn't mention is if I have game over night while I am sleeping, argh the worst one, I keep waking up..

baconbets
    baconbets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

Quote Originally Posted by kenz View Post
    Hi Guys,

Been sportsbetting since 2012 February, and I need some help if I will continue doing this. I have no problem with having losses or losing streaks but I just cant stop doing some things I dont want to. Some first to stuck my mind are

-I always follow my bet point by point, I cant forget it till it ends.

-Somehow I dont sleep well if I bet at least 2-3 games that day compared to a no-bet day.

-I waste a lot of crucial time. I cant use my daily-time efficiently.

-I sometimes forget things I need to do.

-I get moody, irritable and pessimistic.

Can you deal with them?
    these are symptoms of addiction. stop gambling.

sluggy1616
    Update your status
    sluggy1616's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4880

Lower the amount you are placing on any 1 bet. If that doesn't work and your a winning bettor you just need to not look at any tennis or lines on days you need to get crap done.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

So hard to cap it, bet it, and forget it. Dont let it own you. Focus on other diversons. Scale back your unit size or take a break.

faststeady
    faststeady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7820

i bet between 4 and 8 hours a day for a living , 7 days a week. (tennis only makes up about 20% of that)

It took me at least a year to totally dis-associate myself and the brain from gambling 24/7, dreaming it eating it etc

Get into a strict routine. Particularly at night and have a side hobby that you consume yourself with that has nothing to do with sports and betting but is just as important to you.

poet
    poet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Im in the same boat. It is all consuming.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Kenz, I feel for you. I am starting to get almost the same problems. My sleeping patterns are way off b/c of e.g. RG. I am still learning how to deal with this (I started about a year ago and I feel like it is getting worse with time). What I find sometimes help is to take one day a week off, usually Mondays are the best to do that. The good news is that I am up a bit, the bad news I am starting to feel that the winnings are not worth the time invested into this. And I do not even like to watch sports as much as I used b/c I have some money on the line. I might take some time off at some time this Summer.

poet
    poet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    Kenz, I feel for you. I am starting to get almost the same problems. My sleeping patterns are way off b/c of e.g. RG. I am still learning how to deal with this (I started about a year ago and I feel like it is getting worse with time). What I find sometimes help is to take one day a week off, usually Mondays are the best to do that. The good news is that I am up a bit, the bad news I am starting to feel that the winnings are not worth the time invested into this. And I do not even like to watch sports as much as I used b/c I have some money on the line. I might take some time off at some time this Summer.
    Agree with everything you say here, frug. Sometimes I think I want to lose on purpose just to get out of this. This is not a hobby for me. I use the money to pay bills and buy food for the family. And now I have 2 grand riding on a sick Jocker (all based on a gut feeling) playing a guy who is virtual lock in this match. If that's not crazy, what is? This is probably the worst bet I've made in the last 6 months and I can't talk myself out of it.

professionalAD
    professionalAD's Avatar Become A Pro!

were all sick in the head

professionalAD
    professionalAD's Avatar Become A Pro!

and i love it!

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Sick is good, junky is not good, losing money you cannot afford to lose is the worst (not my case thus far).

Marillion
    Marillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3006

Hey kenz,

Take a break and do a reassessment. All the best.

kenz

Thanks guys for advises

I am heavily into working out twice a day. My goal is to get my Pro card as a personel ambition, my life does not depend on it but I like to take it serious. Some may recall I was thinking about a chicken facility,I agreed with the land owner also made an advance payment. Total cost of everything is on the slightly upper half of six figures but I will get my investment back in 3 years which is great considering the market where I live. Also I know I profit by buying this land alone, I had a good deal.

So I have a hobby to stay away from gambling but I need some Cash Flow as I have been into investments for the future of my family for 4-5 past years. I don't have a very comfy budget now And i just cant deal with the negatives of betting. Wish I could

kenz

Investment money is ready I was talking about some extra money for my own expenses would be cool

kenz

Quote Originally Posted by zec View Post
    Same way man... I believe you are up since you started betting right? Maybe try to think like "who cares if I lose this one, I will still be up" kind of thing. It doesn't help if you post here because then you feel extra pressure hoping it goes through for those who have tailed you.. Another one you didn't mention is if I have game over night while I am sleeping, argh the worst one, I keep waking up..
    Last sentence is worst I agree. And even if I did not have a bet while sleeping I still wake up a bit paranoid If I am in the mid of a heavy betting period

rmx
    rmx's Avatar Become A Pro!

ye betting takes a part from your live..

Betfrog
    Betfrog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 740

As long as u win its fine, so get focused and you will be winning again.
    Wait untill today to bet on nadal/novak for example so you dont have that in youre head if its troubling you or put half of what you is going to bet and then later the rest or live bet.

makman
    makman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

gambling is an addiction. Sportsbetting is not completely but in the overall a way of gambling. You ve got addiction.
    Lower your unit plays. Risk less according to your bankroll.
    whatever you are betting on, you have to bet the amount which will not make you follow all the games, which will not give you insomnia, or anything that is not in your daily routine.
    Take it seriously looking for your plays, but have fun after you risk your stake. And the stake amount should not affect your sleep

Marillion

kenz I like you as a poster and would be happy to give you some detailed advice but IMO the thing is that everyone needs to do an assessment of that stuff himself.

Anyway, I'll attempt to give some brief ideas:

- get a break first
    - set aside a bankroll and follow a strict and tight bankroll management, either a flat stake or small variety (I personally vary between 0.5 and 4 units); also when they say "set aside money you can afford to lose" I'd go even more and suggest "set aside even less" - just for the sake of your own comfort. Stuff like Martingale, Kelly and all the other things that involves constant varying of the stake is probably very +EV (I don't know as I don't even know what exactly these mean) but is very tough psychologically. There is good news, though - tennis is one of the easiest sports to beat IMO (it's an individual sport, so you work with much less information than in collective sports like football, soccer, baseball, etc.) and there are also tons of matches every day.
    - do not try to set yourself volume goals (like "I'll bet 1-2 matches per day"), as this is sacrificing value and imposes some restrictions that are really negative - both from a gameplay (EV) and from a psychological point of view
    - try not to think about the money as much as possible, don't think about cashouts and stuff (of course if you're good - and my impression is that you are, you'll cashout and make $$), think about it as if it is points in a computer game or sth like that (although this is really difficult)
    - if you think you've become too obsessed, do other stuff as well and really don't follow every single change of the scores in the scoreboard

If you give it a try but it's still tough, just quit.

Good luck and all the best, whatever you decide to do. : )
    Points Awarded:

kenz gave Marillion 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

kenz

Thanks guys

I like your advises, thanks for sharing. I dont feel 100% peaceful inside, betting takes a toll on me. On the other hand, it fires me up too. Good to hear some can deal with them I hope people on similar conditions and I find a solution. But I guess I am limited as opposed to others, I will never control it to the extent I want. I am obsessive and emotional by nature
    Last edited by kenz; 06-08-14 at 02:52 PM.

kenz

I am addicted cant deny it. Actually instead of lowering I need to up my stakes so I play less and the ones I feel better. When my stakes go low, I bet too many games.

Also I am lying my wife about it, she thinks I stopped betting. I dont have a comfortable room in my house or work where I can zone in for an hour for this.

My bankroll is not what I would like now. I am better with bigger bankrolls, small bankrolls and small wagers kill me.

Everything looks like I need a break, I missed a great tourney to make money, actually lost money in it. I am having smaller wagers so I did not lose something that would really bother me financially.

But mentally I am toast, wont deny it. Wish I could act like a pro because deep inside I love betting, wish I was stronger mentally dealing with sides

sluggy1616
    Update your status
    sluggy1616's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4880

I am addicted cant deny it. Actually instead of lowering I need to up my stakes so I play less and the ones I feel better. When my stakes go low, I bet too many games.

Also I am lying my wife about it, she thinks I stopped betting. I dont have a comfortable room in my house or work where I can zone in for an hour for this.

My bankroll is not what I would like now. I am better with bigger bankrolls, small bankrolls and small wagers kill me.

Everything looks like I need a break, I missed a great tourney to make money, actually lost money in it. I am having smaller wagers so I did not lose something that would really bother me financially.

But mentally I am toast, wont deny it. Wish I could act like a pro because deep inside I love betting, wish I was stronger mentally dealing with sides

You CAN'T lie to your wife. She should respect that this is something you like to do if it is not hurting your cash flow or your health. If you are lying to your wife, win or lose long term you will end up feeling like crap.

kenz

yeah I know. Did not bet on anything for 2 days and feeling a lot better. She thinks I stopped altogether long ago. I cant tell her, when she gets mad at anything non-related with betting, she attacks from me betting

Cessation
    Cessation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 762

I only really visit the tennis forum so not sure if you bet on other stuff as well but my suggestion would be to just stick with ATP. That's what you were killing it on in your hot streak, forget that wta and the challenger tour exists. By the time the weekend comes around the markets are pretty efficient so my other suggestion would be not to bet semis/finals and spend the weekend with your family.

hendrafirmanto
    hendrafirmanto's Avatar Become A Pro!

My suggestions :
    1. don't bet on midnight matches
    2. don't bet during your work time, it will destroy your concentration because you will check livescore every 5 minutes
    3. forget the idea to defeat the bookie if you are not full time gambler
    4. if you following all of your bets, my suggestion are to avoid betting on the players you hate or at least don't watch the matches, because you won't be happy even if they win
    5. lastly, if you can't do all the points above, just quit gambling, or if you are uber rich, just quit your job and become full time gambler

Good luck

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

You need to learn to prioritize and not let gambling run your life

Sounds like you are letting it consume you too much. When that happens, you will never be satisfied. You could win 10 grand and it's still not enough, or you could lose 10 grand and get an even bigger high trying to chase it back

Remember : never lose the PRIVILEGE to gamble

Be smart

kenz

Thanks guys for taking time and putting input

I have also a few things in my head too

1. I tried to take "value" concept into account more than I should + did not hedge when I should. I am better @ predicting picking who should win, rather than taking value as the first priority. For robots or people who are less emotional, this can work but it affects me easily. I was closest to knowing Nadal and Masha should win the way they played in semis but had Halep @6 and Novak @2.75 before finals. Futures dont work well for me as sometimes I am too stuboorn to green out.

2. As Cessation put it out I should focus on ATP

3. I let myself get influenced by others a lot. In the past I had plays going against the majority of the forum, or people telling me it is not "valuable". It is ok to hear other's opinions there are many great cappers here, but something else to get influenced by them too much.

4. I livebetted a lot on the wrong markets. ML and 1st sets are good for livebetting but 2nd sets are not IMHO

5. I am better on MLs, not overs. And I can utilize unders better than overs IMO

6. 2-0, 3-0 worst market. I know this but sometimes I still fell for it. -/+ hcps work better for me generally.

7. I am better with high wagers.

8. I forgot to be as precise as a bomb-defuser, one of the most important ones.

I also agree with pretty much what everyone put here and thank everyone for what they shared

Marillion

Thanks guys for taking time and putting input

I have also a few things in my head too

1. I tried to take "value" concept into account more than I should + did not hedge when I should. I am better @ predicting picking who should win, rather than taking value as the first priority. For robots or people who are less emotional, this can work but it affects me easily. I was closest to knowing Nadal and Masha should win the way they played in semis but had Halep @6 and Novak @2.75 before finals. Futures dont work well for me as sometimes I am too stuboorn to green out.
    IMO this reasoning is flawed. Betting revolves around value only. If your reasoning does not have value in the first place, you shouldn't bet at all (this doesn't mean you should perform advanced mathematical computations, it just means that you should put value and the odds as by far the most important factor).

kenz

I know what you mean and I understand it perfectly on paper but what I put out work better for me practically

Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

I would have to disagree with you a little with that statement there Marillion. Sometimes betting (for me at least) is more about a gut feeling or instinct. Sometimes you have strong feelings one way or another and this goes against any form of science or statistical mathematical method of looking at games. Many times I'm able to predict upsets, sometimes with very high odds, in the sports I follow closest like MLB and football. That's not to say there isn't any value in those dogs or their relative spreads of course, just that I go by gut feeling and instinct oftentimes instead of strictly numbers and value. It's so easy for us as reasoning human beings to try and look at these games as objectively as possible and strictly by the numbers, black and white. It's almost natural for our reasoning minds to look at a match and recognize the value in a dog because we believe they have a better chance at the upset than the odds indicate. However, we're also human, meaning we are affected in many different ways both psychologically and emotionally. We are all very passionate about our sports, we all have our favorite players and teams we want to see succeed. Because of that fact alone it will always be impossible (at least for me anyway) to strictly view the games without some sort of subjectivity, especially in the teams/leagues we follow the closest.

All of this to say that it is imperative to use objectivity and numbers/odds to find value and make the most reasoned wagers, but in the end we are human, and that nature inevitably causes us to be more subjective and instinctual at times, which is fine because it seems to work with me! lol

There is some very good commentary in this thread; I'll be writing my post soon enough Kenz!

BOL to all on your bets today!