leftbrained
    leftbrained's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

question - new to tennis betting

hey all,

first time poster and betting newbie. just getting my feet wet - so i placed the following bets on women's singles:

Simona Halep +1½ (-210)
    Outcome: Win
    Maria Sharapova -1½ (+160)
    Outcome: Loss

The game scores were:
    Maria S: 6 6 6
    Simona H: 4 7 4

assuming i bet $10 each side, i'm trying to figure out how to read the spread lines and how the wins/losses worked here. my understanding is that ±1.5 is the spread here. so for simona, it would've been 18-(15+1.5) = 1.5. since 18-15 =3 and 3 > 1.5...does this not mean that my bet on simona should have been a loss because the spread wasn't covered? vice versa for maria.

thanks in advance

baconbets
    baconbets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

+/- 1.5 is a set spread, not a game spread. although, for this particular match, it may as well have been the game spread.

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by baconbets View Post
    +/- 1.5 is a set spread, not a game spread. although, for this particular match, it may as well have been the game spread.
    considering the odds it seems it was a set spread

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

Usually when you see 1.5 it's sets; games are bit bigger numbers. Hopefully the bookie says it; not sure but you can tell by the odds. If it was 1.5 games the odds would not have been much different from ML and obviously the difference was huge here leading you to believe that it's sets and not games

leftbrained
    leftbrained's Avatar Become A Pro!

cheers, thanks all