w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

New women's French Open favorite?

With Serena gone, who's the favorite?

Can 'Pova do it? I think so- if she can keep her head screwed on straight.

Can Bouchard win her first major?

Will it be someone unexpected?

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Halep my man..Halep..

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Halep my man..Halep..
    Yeah, that's a good call.

Rugby21
    Rugby21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1605

Kuznetsova to win it now for my future!

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everything is lined up for Sharapova but I too like Halep's chances

ManeOnFire
    ManeOnFire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

I know I suck at betting but not Halep; definitely not Halep.

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I am Jankovic or Ivanovic, I am thinking now or never, though never is more likely

Bumdeal
    Twirling his mustache
    Bumdeal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Love Halep or Bouchard

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Halep

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

errani if she doesnt have to face sharapova in the finals

Marillion
    Marillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3006

Don't see Janko or Bouchard winning this. Pova, Ana or Halep.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

Quote Originally Posted by Bumdeal View Post
    Love Halep or Bouchard
    both players are way too green. Bouchard has mental breakdowns from frenchyness. Halep has 0 shot, way too weak. no variance in her game

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    both players are way too green. Bouchard has mental breakdowns from frenchyness. Halep has 0 shot, way too weak. no variance in her game
    I agree but you can find holes in any of the remaining women. Personally I like sharapova.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone

Women are so inconsistent

marniblitz
    marniblitz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3627

No value to be had, but I think it's Sugerpova's to lose right now. Don't tell me she didn't crack open a bottle of champagne and drink a little glass before her match today. She's a Russian pit-bull who's just caught whiff of a Grand Slam.

Martinr
    Martinr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21

Petra Kvitova +2800.
    People say she can't win a Slam on Clay, but she was knocked out by Li Na in 3 sets in the 4th Round in 2011 (who then went on to win the Final), and in 2012 she reached the Semis (and lost to Sharapova). She won't meet Sharapova til the Final this year.
    Her baseline play should actually be suited to this surface, and it's not like she is hopeless on Clay.
    She won her 1st Round match in straight sets and takes to the court in about 2.5 hours for her 2nd Round match against NZ player Marina Erakovic. I think if she gets past this round she should be a solid 2nd or 3rd favourite. If results go to seedings (unlikely) she has Ana Ivanovich as a prospective QF opponent, then Halep or Jankovich in the Semis. Kvitova can beat all these players. She's 24 and should be near her peak.
    B365 are 1/2 odds for eachway betting, so the +1400 looks good for her to reach the Final in my eyes.
    I'll be parlaying her into the Final.
    Now watch her crash today.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pipita17

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Kvitova, . First of all, her draw is about as bad you can get at this stage, she'll have to face Kuzzy in the 3rd, probably Ana in the 4th (not in the quarters), then the likely path is Halep in QF, Janko/Errani in SF. Any of those opps have a great chance against her on clay. Nah, I do not see Kvitova in the final. Either Kuzzy or Ana will take her out before QF; but stranger things have happened.

beefcake
    Update your status

As much as I like Halep I am Hedging her man...Its WTA and NOTHING surprises me..For all me know Toro-Flo wins the dam thing..

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Martinr View Post
    Petra Kvitova +2800.
    People say she can't win a Slam on Clay, but she was knocked out by Li Na in 3 sets in the 4th Round in 2011 (who then went on to win the Final), and in 2012 she reached the Semis (and lost to Sharapova). She won't meet Sharapova til the Final this year.
    Her baseline play should actually be suited to this surface, and it's not like she is hopeless on Clay.
    She won her 1st Round match in straight sets and takes to the court in about 2.5 hours for her 2nd Round match against NZ player Marina Erakovic. I think if she gets past this round she should be a solid 2nd or 3rd favourite. If results go to seedings (unlikely) she has Ana Ivanovich as a prospective QF opponent, then Halep or Jankovich in the Semis. Kvitova can beat all these players. She's 24 and should be near her peak.
    B365 are 1/2 odds for eachway betting, so the +1400 looks good for her to reach the Final in my eyes.
    I'll be parlaying her into the Final.
    Now watch her crash today.
    And then she lost in the FO last year in the Rd of 32 to Jamie flippin' Hampton of all people! The problem with Kvitova is that she always needs too many forces to align for her to go deep in any tourney... the weather to be ok - not too hot and not too windy, her allergies not to be playing with her, her not overhitting shots and most importantly her mind has to be strong for her to win because as soon as she loses the plot, it's over. And the worst part is that she doesn't even usually give you enough of a warning sign so at least we can make $ live betting. One ball she's ok and suddenly poof she's gone. Red cheeks appear and you know your cash is gone. It shouldn't be that difficult. I actually think her winning Wimbledon her first ever time in a Slam final messed with her quite a bit. Suddenly there was all this pressure placed on her and she admits she fed into it also as she went from the underdog to being someone people expected to win. I would love to see her win the FO as I've always had a soft spot for her even when she's cost me way too much $ but I'd be shocked as all hell if she can pull it off on clay. At that price though I can see why you're going for it so good luck!

beefcake
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    And then she lost in the FO last year in the Rd of 32 to Jamie flippin' Hampton of all people! The problem with Kvitova is that she always needs too many forces to align for her to go deep in any tourney... the weather to be ok - not too hot and not too windy, her allergies not to be playing with her, her not overhitting shots and most importantly her mind has to be strong for her to win because as soon as she loses the plot, it's over. And the worst part is that she doesn't even usually give you enough of a warning sign so at least we can make $ live betting. One ball she's ok and suddenly poof she's gone. Red cheeks appear and you know your cash is gone. It shouldn't be that difficult. I actually think her winning Wimbledon her first ever time in a Slam final messed with her quite a bit. Suddenly there was all this pressure placed on her and she admits she fed into it also as she went from the underdog to being someone people expected to win. I would love to see her win the FO as I've always had a soft spot for her even when she's cost me way too much $ but I'd be shocked as all hell if she can pull it off on clay. At that price though I can see why you're going for it so good luck!

Shari, you need to be more active in the tennis forum. Having you only posting on majors is a dam crime. Seriously I miss your insight and humor. I love this sub forum, but its so dam more interesting with you typing away.

shari91

Shari, you need to be more active in the tennis forum. Having you only posting on majors is a dam crime. Seriously I miss your insight and humor. I love this sub forum, but its so dam more interesting with you typing away.
    Oh wow, what a lovely thing to say beefy! To be honest my return to SBR in January coincided with my son starting kindergarten (school years are messed up here) so trying to adjust to all of that and suddenly being a school mum left me little time for following the entire clay season. I'd watch matches here and there but it was so sporadic I've basically written off the clay season entirely and have cut back my bet sizes to compensate. Now that things are more settled I promise I'll be back to some extent heading into grass. Even if I'm not always posting though, I'm always paying attention to what you guys have to say! xo

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Sharapova

also, my first trivia question today was how much money did the winner of the men's 2001 US Open receive?

I bet most here would get that wrong. I got it wrong.

reddevil84
    reddevil84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6478

C. Suarez.. had a feeling yesterday she could be the outsider to go far in the tournament, good draw too until SF where she could meet Sharapova. Unfortunately with Radwanska out its future odd will drop big. Any thoughts?

frugalgambler

Why are you guys even debating this ? Who can potentially take Sharapova out on clay: not a lot of these players. Maybe only Ana, JJ and Kuzzy have the game and experience to threaten her, but their draw is really tough. Muggz might also have a puncher's chance. Sharapova is an overwhelming fav at this stage. Whoever comes out of the bottom half is likely going to be pretty exhausted.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    Why are you guys even debating this ? Who can potentially take Sharapova out on clay: not a lot of these players. Maybe only Ana, JJ and Kuzzy have the game and experience to threaten her, but their draw is really tough. Muggz might also have a puncher's chance. Sharapova is an overwhelming fav at this stage. Whoever comes out of the bottom half is likely going to be pretty exhausted.
    Anyone can take her out on clay. She has the worst serving form of anyone who's played the game in probably 20+ years. Give her a windy day and her horrible ball toss is done. And when she's not feeling it, her attempts at winners look like she's aiming them for someone in row 19 in the stands. Look who she's played so far in this tourney and who she played and lost to in the second round of Rome after struggling with PUIG. I honestly don't see how anyone could call Maria an overwhelming fave in any tournament let alone one in the spring/early summer.

frugalgambler

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Anyone can take her out on clay. She has the worst serving form of anyone who's played the game in probably 20+ years. Give her a windy day and her horrible ball toss is done. And when she's not feeling it, her attempts at winners look like she's aiming them for someone in row 19 in the stands. Look who she's played so far in this tourney and who she played and lost to in the second round of Rome after struggling with PUIG. I honestly don't see how anyone could call Maria an overwhelming fave in any tournament let alone one in the spring/early summer.
    Blah-blah-blah. Sharapova won 45-out-45 claycourt matches against anybody not named Serena, until the recent loss @ Rome to Ana; and I think Maria wanted to rest before RG there. Anyway, your post is absolutely ridiculous.

shari91

Blah-blah-blah. Sharapova won 45-out-45 claycourt matches against anybody not named Serena, until the recent loss @ Rome to Ana; and I think Maria wanted to rest before RG there. Anyway, your post is absolutely ridiculous.
    haha very mature but looking at your other posts, not surprising. Seems you can't come back with any facts to dispute what I said and/or you know nothing about tennis to comprehend everything I said about her style of play is true. I trust you're going to post a screenshot with you going all in on a Maria future to win the FO that you placed days ago? GL!

frugalgambler

What more do you need than a 45-0 run ? It is you who is throwing some ridiculous conclusions based on Maria's form@Rome where she was playing after winning two previous tourneys.
    Last edited by frugalgambler; 05-30-14 at 12:49 PM.

shari91

What more do you need than a 45-0 run ? It is you who is throwing some ridiculous conclusions based on Maria's form@Rome where she was playing after winning two previous tourneys. Unreal. I understand you are some sort of mod around here, but that does not make you a tennis guru.
    Never said I was a tennis guru. I was giving my opinions in this thread after posting here about tennis for 4+ years and have gambled on the sport for much longer than that. I broke down the weaknesses of Sharapova... you failed to acknowledge she struggled with PUIG before she supposedly tanked Rome LOL. As if. That alone let's me know you very little about the woman you're backing because big hint: She'd never tank anything. Never. So like I said, I assume from all of your bluster that you've gone all in on Maria to win the FO several days ago and we'll see a screenshot shortly. If not, then maybe just accept that even a random tennis fan like yourself doesn't have enough confidence to put all of their $ on a tourney that like you said she's the "overwhelmingly favorite" to win. I didn't place a future bet on this tourney so I could give a rat's ass who wins but stop talking as if you're a gangster when you can't even post proof you trust her enough to bet on this chick to win.

beefcake
    Update your status

Got Carla at 100-1 to win it..Bovada had her at 100 where 5 dimes 66-1 to start..Was really weird to see that.
    May 23, 2014 04:00:37 PM Single #348958219
    Tennis - Futures (Game) Moneyline
    All wagers have action. Others availiable on request.
    WTA Women's Singles - French Open 2014 - Outright
    (627) Carla Suarez Navarro 100/1 May 25/14@05:00a
    Web US$ 5.00 US$ 500.00

Now the remorse of not putting more on the future.Pova would be more than -500 vs her so will have to find another way to hedge it.
    Last edited by beefcake; 05-30-14 at 01:02 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91

shari91

Got Carla at 100-1 to win it..Bovada had her at 100 where 5 dimes 66-1 to start..Was really weird to see that.
    May 23, 2014 04:00:37 PM Single #348958219
    Tennis - Futures (Game) Moneyline
    All wagers have action. Others availiable on request.
    WTA Women's Singles - French Open 2014 - Outright
    (627) Carla Suarez Navarro 100/1 May 25/14@05:00a
    Web US$ 5.00 US$ 500.00

Proof...
    And that's why you're a legend. Telling me that someone's an overwhelming favourite when we've seen her breakdown countless times before and even worse you say it when the top 3 seeds of the tourney are now out means jack. Where was the Shara talk before the tourney?! *crickets* She's the friggen 7th seed. Anyone can win this now. Even dusty old, wasted a lot of my mother f'n $ last time she was in a FO final Stosur. Whomever wins more power to them but no one is a shoo in now.

frugalgambler

You do realize that Puig was heating up in Rome and won her first tourney the next week ? And you might be right that Maria would not tank, but she had to be tired after winning two tourneys prior to Rome; and I did say in my first post that Ana has the form and experience to beat Maria on clay. Will she be able to do that in Paris should they meet in the final, is a big question. The bottom half of the draw is loaded compared to the upper half.

Now, you seem to be pretty hostile for a mod, calling me a random tennis fan, emphasizing your post record, etc. I am fine with that, more power to you. I am not going to debate with a mod on a personal level since this is a losing proposition. As for your badgering that I should go all in on Maria, why would I do that ? I might strongly consider putting some coin on her, depending on the odds. But going all in is really not a good idea on pretty much any bet, no matter how much one would like a given line.

Thanks for the discussion anyway. I still think Maria is the one to beat from now on and I will probably start backing her with my bets pretty soon. Not sure if I will take the futures or match-by-match bets; I think match-by-match will offer better returns.

frugalgambler

Also, shari we seem to have different ideas on what one should take from this forum. I do not want to impress anybody with my screenshots or the size of my bets or my winning or losing record. I do like to argue with other users once in a while, but mostly I am looking for new angles and information, and there are plenty of folks around here who provide that. So keep up the good work and I hope this forum will keep prospering. I honestly think this is the best SBR subforum.

shari91

You do realize that Puig was heating up in Rome and won her first tourney the next week ? And you might be right that Maria would not tank, but she had to be tired after winning two tourneys prior to Rome; and I did say in my first post that Ana has the form and experience to beat Maria on clay. Will she be able to do that in Paris should they meet in the final, is a big question. The bottom half of the draw is loaded compared to the upper half.

Now, you seem to be pretty hostile for a mod, calling me a random tennis fan, emphasizing your post record, etc. I am fine with that, more power to you. I am not going to debate with a mod on a personal level since this is a losing proposition. As for your badgering that I should go all in on Maria, why would I do that ? I might strongly consider putting some coin on her, depending on the odds. But going all in is really not a good idea on pretty much any bet, no matter how much one would like a given line.

Thanks for the discussion anyway. I still think Maria is the one to beat from now on and I will probably start backing her with my bets pretty soon. Not sure if I will take the futures or match-by-match bets; I think match-by-match will offer better returns.
    I post as I talk. Forget the moderator title under my username unless you violate an SBR policy. I've worked here for 4 years and most have never had a so called work encounter with me at all, especially people in the Tennis forum. However if you think just because that title is under my name that means I won't talk frankly then nope, you're at the wrong forum. I didn't "emphasize my post record" or I would've told you how many views and posts my thread got in a relatively short period of time... hint hint no one's come close since in here. I was merely pointing out to you since you're new that I'm not some random fly by who just feels like talking tennis this week hence why the long term posters in here get where I'm coming from. You've been here a short time so fair enough. Stick around for another couple of years and you'll get it.

As for your betting, if you really do think she's the overwhelming favorite as you said why wouldn't you take her to win the whole thing? That's horrible gambling strategy not to. It's not as exciting as betting on every match but it's much better than placing $1000 or whatever your units are to win $30 as opposed to at least doubling your cash if she wins the title. If she loses one of those matches before then it's a lot of risk for little return.

Anyway good luck with it all.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Got Carla at 100-1 to win it..
    I thought CSN might be a sleeper, but she'll puke all over herself at some point
    I have futures on Halep & Bouchard
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91

12 Last