WannabeBetter
    WannabeBetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

Advice for someone looking to improve

Hey guys,

I have recently become quite fixated on the art of tennis betting, to the point where I am keen to gather as much knowledge as possible in order to beat the game.
    I have lost a small amount thus far, which has mostly been as a recreational bettor for the fun of it. I like to take on multiples, using what I believe to be one miss priced under dog, and building the muiltple around that bet with what I believe to be more "lock" results, inflating the overall odds for me. This has turned out....not amazingly thus far! I do believe there is a lot of value to be had using this sort of line, am I mistaken?
    Do you make use of a database online somewhere, and if so, what sites are most useful in this regard?
    I am a professional poker player, and got to be one through a lot of research and analysis of opponents. I am not looking to start making this my new profession or anything crazy like that, I just want to see if I can beat the game and work my bankroll up.
    Anyone able to offer up any nuggets of wisdom or anything that I should be looking to do at this point?

Thanks in advance!

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just from a logic standpoint, that sort of bet does not compute to me. If you're tossing in a mispriced dog, whynot play that as a single?

For me, parlays are to use for those higher prices on picks you're most certain of. Certainly, nothing wrong with the way you're playing - but it seems like those will be harder to hit consistently.

I think if you're trying to consistently profit, it'd be better to break them up like I posed earlier. If you're looking to hit a big payout with one, then certainly your way is going to give you the payout, but again come harder to win IMO.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Not really sure what to put as an advice. Do not go overvboard, study the discussions going on here, check the picks of good cappers like HC and several others. Not sure how much you know about tennis itself. My main advice is not to bet more than you can afford to lose. Tennis is presumably the 2nd most popular sports in terms betting volume and it is hard to beat the books.

pazim
    Update your status
    pazim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 443

I think the better way to do is watch the matches instead relying on stats. Its time consuming and majority of matches aren't recorded. I look for them on youtube and tennistv. Some of the things that I try to look for are mentioned in the articles below.

http://www.tennisbet.net/how-you-can...layer-is-tired

http://www.tennisbet.net/three-impor...ats-never-show
    Last edited by pazim; 05-05-14 at 09:56 PM.

fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3358

single most-useful site i've found to support tennis-betting is

http://www.tennisexplorer.com/

and if you aren't already aware of/using a good multi-sports scoreboard/schedule site like

http://www.flashscore.com/tennis/ ...you'll need that as well (cuz there are just SOOOO many games/tourneys going on all the tym, you'll go schizophrenic sorting out exactly which matches are being discussed and where to bet them etc. etc.)

both of these sites are extremely powerful, and as you sharpen up you'll find them increasingly helpful...

Cessation
    Cessation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 762

My 2c.

Play predominately singles.

Don't lay heavy chalk.

Stick to tour level and give challengers and futures a miss.

Understand a players schedule and potential motivation at a particular tournament.

Avoid injured and underdone players like the plague.

Get to know the players ranked say 20-60 on both men's and women's side as these are the ones that throw up the best betting opportunities.

Throw out the popular sports saying "you are only as good as your last game". Draw your form across a month or so and understand the factors that can lead to aberration results.

+1 on tennisexplorer being the tennis betting bible.

Oh and understand you are going to cop some bad losses along the way with players choking from dominant positions and others laying an egg on you from the start of the match.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Quote Originally Posted by Cessation View Post
    My 2c.

Play predominately singles.

Don't lay heavy chalk.

Stick to tour level and give challengers and futures a miss.

Understand a players schedule and potential motivation at a particular tournament.

Avoid injured and underdone players like the plague.

Get to know the players ranked say 20-60 on both men's and women's side as these are the ones that throw up the best betting opportunities.

Throw out the popular sports saying "you are only as good as your last game". Draw your form across a month or so and understand the factors that can lead to aberration results.

+1 on tennisexplorer being the tennis betting bible.

Oh and understand you are going to cop some bad losses along the way with players choking from dominant positions and others laying an egg on you from the start of the match.
    You're an intelligent being. Where's your thread?

WannabeBetter
    WannabeBetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

Some helpful stuff here, thanks guys. I already use tennisexplorer and flashscore, glad I was using 2 useful sites.

Cessation, totally agree on the players ranked 20-60 thing, as well as indiviual motivations at a given tournament.

I'm quite sure that you are correct about the singles betting line, but I just feel that certain multiples can hold so much value. I guess the only way I will truly feel otherwise is from losing enough with this line of betting, so be it :/

Thanks again. I'm going to try some new stuff and hopefully I will have my own picking thread up in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

hendrafirmanto
    hendrafirmanto's Avatar Become A Pro!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tennis lines are very tough to beat now, lots of volume therefore market efficient, also so many players do not report injuries so then can collect a paycheck, I think if you do not wach tons of matches you have zero shot to win, stats are not the answer.

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Tennis lines are very tough to beat now, lots of volume therefore market efficient, also so many players do not report injuries so then can collect a paycheck, I think if you do not wach tons of matches you have zero shot to win, stats are not the answer.
    Amazing how you talk with so much certainty yet you're always wrong.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Bullshite, you can beat Challenger and futures lines quite a bit. 5 dimes seems to be expanding into womens ITF which is good.