EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some Props for Rafa

Haters are still gonna hate and probably call it an excuse. Whatever. Good article here about Rafa suffering through the back problem, but not wanting to retire to give Stan a proper win instead of win via retirement.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...1226811580453#

Even Stan said the boos against Rafa were harsh ...

Wawrinka said: "I think it was not that nice (of the crowd), especially for Rafa. We all know that he's a great guy, great player. He's always a really fair player. He always tries his best. He's always fighting.

"The problem for me was not that he's taking a physio, that he left the court. I just wanted to know why, what was the problem, just to know for the rest of the match. It was quite strange that the crowd started to boo him."

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

3-0 backers are gonna hate, that's who!

poet
    poet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Does anyone know the exact nature of the injury or when it happened? The whole thing looked bizarre and I can't say I blame the crowd since Rafa was kind of like "the boy who cried wolf" all tournament. Taking too much time as well as too many medical timeouts (that surely affected his opponents and gave him an edge, whether intentional or not) and then he goes out and destroys Fed, without a hitch, but then suddenly is injured again when losing to Stan. Maybe it was all a series of coincidences but I can certainly see why the crowd did not give Rafa the benefit of the doubt at that moment. I wouldn't have either (at that moment), considering the context of the whole tournament.

EaglesPhan36

All reports indicate the muscle strain in his back came during warm-ups for the match. Of all the people to boo for a perceived lack of effort, Rafa would be dead last on my list with David Ferrer. If they got crushed, I would always assume there was probably a physical problem to some extent.

poet

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    All reports indicate the muscle strain in his back came during warm-ups for the match. Of all the people to boo for a perceived lack of effort, Rafa would be dead last on my list with David Ferrer. If they got crushed, I would always assume there was probably a physical problem to some extent.
    But EP, at the time the crowd did not know that. They thought perhaps Rafa is trying to regroup, using the medical injury as an excuse. After all, I don't think they kept booing him once they saw it was legit. Again, their reaction was based on what took place before (all of Rafa's previous timeouts due to his little "boo-boo" which always seemed to come at the right time for him and the worst time for his opponent). I think he even did it to Fed, making him wait to serve while he was up a set and a game. There was a lot of gamesmanship going on by Rafa before this latest injury and not even the most ardent Rafa defender can deny that.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Even Stan said the boos against Rafa were harsh ...
    he must have a very short memory...he seemed quite annoyed whilst jabbering at the chair ump during that long break

EaglesPhan36

From what I understand Stan's argument was simply over not being told the nature of the injury as Rafa left the court. I guess same thing with the crowd, once the severity was understood - everyone was more acception. Like I said, I did not get to watch any, so I am going based on match reports and articles so I have no clue how long the booing lasted.

Medical timeouts though usually are not booed regardless of past, present or future behavior - so it is still kind of odd to me. Most of his blister treatments were very quick tape jobs during the tournament, this was much different from what I understand in that he left the court and was getting treatment obviously not related to the blisters.

poet

From what I understand Stan's argument was simply over not being told the nature of the injury as Rafa left the court. I guess same thing with the crowd, once the severity was understood - everyone was more acception. Like I said, I did not get to watch any, so I am going based on match reports and articles so I have no clue how long the booing lasted.

Medical timeouts though usually are not booed regardless of past, present or future behavior - so it is still kind of odd to me. Most of his blister treatments were very quick tape jobs during the tournament, this was much different from what I understand in that he left the court and was getting treatment obviously not related to the blisters.
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I recall seen jeering and booing for questionable timeouts and injuries in WTA matches, where the crowd felt that the injury/timeout was anything but sincere (which, I think, is what happened here).

lucullus
    lucullus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

I dont think the crowd cared what happened but they wanted a freaking good show thats why they were spectators at a sports event. I was mad myself and I was only watching on my TV - that the finals of a grand slam (only 3 a year) was a joke.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I recall seen jeering and booing for questionable timeouts and injuries in WTA matches, where the crowd felt that the injury/timeout was anything but sincere (which, I think, is what happened here).
    If it was a Serena match, that's because the Aussie crowds IMO don't really care for her. Never have.

I don't know. I mean it's one thing if someone is cruising all over the court and just getting outplayed, but it sounded like Rafa looked like something was wrong early on in the match where fans oughta have somewhat of a clue.

zec
    zec's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was Stan supposed to be told in that situation what was wrong with Nadal? I think the reason for leaving the court is if the private area needs assessed, maybe down to his buttocks if it's low back pain..

EaglesPhan36

From my understanding the ump usually tells the opponent what the problem is if a player gets medical attention. I don't know what the protocol is as far as if they are required to or not, but Stan says he was not informed of what the issue was and that was why he was pissed.

poet

[QUOTE=EaglesPhan36;21005380]If it was a Serena match, that's because the Aussie crowds IMO don't really care for her. Never have.

Or for the aborigines, or maybe anyone who is a shade too dark. Hate to generalize, but I hear that racism and the denial of racism is rampant in Australia (which also makes me recall the Layton Hewitt / James Blake match, a few years back).

poet

Now, if the stadium had been filled with us degenerates, I could imagine a scenario where everyone who bet on Nadal was cheering when the injury came (hoping for a retirement) and booing him when he decided to play on and finish the match .