yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    I'm not sure about the court temp as I haven't been watching yet today but just from being there before, it's a lot hotter in the stadium than what the official temperature is and then the announced court temp is always higher than that. What I don't get is that even with the fainting aside because someone could argue conditioning and preparation are factors in that, if a player's shoes and water bottles are melting on the court how are people expected to play on that? Especially the men.
    They shouldn't. If it's hot enough to melt water bottles, that's too hot to play.

I don't know who's making the decisions here, but this is getting to be outrageous.

Tennis-governing bodies are not known for being particularly level-headed or logical, as we've seen from past majors (I remember when Shahar Pe'er was prevented from playing in a big non-major tournament because the idiots in charge put it in Dubai or something).

Quote Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
    Organizers Monday, January 13, reassured players ... saying no-one had ever died from extreme heat at a tennis tournament

its np

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

They should really just enforce the extreme heat rules when it gets over 100F. Because the humidity is low, conditions don't meet the rules even at 108F which is stupid. Hot is f-ing hot. Obviously they cannot just delay matches because the whole weeks is hot, but extra rest, etc. to help these players manage their health seems an easy fix.

What is insane to me are the people who actually have the choice and choose to sit and watch these matches LIVE.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    They should really just enforce the extreme heat rules when it gets over 100F. Because the humidity is low, conditions don't meet the rules even at 108F which is stupid. Hot is f-ing hot. Obviously they cannot just delay matches because the whole weeks is hot, but extra rest, etc. to help these players manage their health seems an easy fix.

What is insane to me are the people who actually have the choice and choose to sit and watch these matches LIVE.
    yeah. People call spectators at the really cold games crazy, but I'd rather bundle up and watch a football game in the cold than sit in 110 degrees for hours on end (after burning myself when I sit down, I assume).

I don't care if you bring an umbrella to protect yourself from the sun, that's just brutal.

EaglesPhan36

Hottest game I ever went to was the Cowboys-Eagles "pickle juice" game, but my seats were at least in the shade. I think the game time temp was a shade over 100. I won't go to baseball games here for the Rangers in the summer unless my friends agree to go sit in one of the air conditioning clubs after about four innings. Not worth it and the days with no wind are brutal.

yisman

The Rangers actually play summer games at night because of the oppressive heat. They end up going against Sunday Night Baseball when at home (and thus having the games blacked out) because they don't want to play in the sun when it gets that hot.

EaglesPhan36

They still have day games on Sundays during the Summer which to me makes zero sense. They do try to do most at night, but not all. Why they didn't build a retractable roof when they made the new stadium a while ago is beyond me. That's one thing the Astros did right.

betjumper
    betjumper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stepanekslips View Post
    Dont think he makes enough to afford them.
    Ha ha ha ha

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Quote Originally Posted by w@lt View Post
    How dumb is it that the women get extra breaks due to the heat, but men do not?
    Is there really such a rule??

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    Is there really such a rule??
    Yeah the women are allowed to take 10 minutes before the start of the 3rd but the men can't. The WTA enforced that rule so I'm not sure how it makes an ounce of sense that the ATP hasn't done the same. Courier was talking last night about how they used to have breaks for men at some point as he was playing Edberg and Edberg took a full on shower and did his hair during it

Hardcoar

Hardcoar

Quote Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
    Organizers Monday, January 13, reassured players ... saying no-one had ever died from extreme heat at a tennis tournament

its np
    A very sensible statement... keep cool and carry on.

Cessation
    Cessation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 762

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is what is sitting above Stawell at the moment. Really eerie.. <a href="http://t.co/aXsnV73W0a">pic.twitter.com/aXsnV73W0a</a></p>&mdash; Michael Scanlan (@MScanlan7) <a href="https://twitter.com/MScanlan7/statuses/424010535571427328">January 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just saw lightning strikes in amongst this .. Again above Stawell <a href="http://t.co/SbSFEEv7an">pic.twitter.com/SbSFEEv7an</a></p>&mdash; Michael Scanlan (@MScanlan7) <a href="https://twitter.com/MScanlan7/statuses/424016567123193856">January 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The apocalypse is on it's way to Melbourne.

That's the storm mixed with bushfire smoke but it's going to thunderstorm tonight.

At least the heat will penetrate off.
    Last edited by Cessation; 01-16-14 at 10:45 PM.

oBaMa_MaNiA
    oBaMa_MaNiA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Been running this week 5mi home from work in Melbourne. Had to slow the eff right down.

But fade any mentally weak players. I struggled with my five milers and if they can't concentrate and stay hydrated they aren't gonna last very long at all. it just takes A LOT out of you.

that's my two cents

oBaMa_MaNiA
    oBaMa_MaNiA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Ok weather update.

It's dropped about 15 degrees to about 23 now. Much more bearable.

First 12