tipsadontlikehim
    tipsadontlikehim's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your safe picks for R1

well nothing is safe of course but you know what i mean...

I like:
    Leonardo Mayer @1.44 (Montanes hasn't won a match on outdoor HC for a long time)
    Kohlschreiber @1.18 over Bedene
    Dimitrov @1.23 over Klahn
    Nishikori @1.36 over Matosevic: the Aussie hasn't won a match in grand slam and i don't think he's that good to beat Nishikori

I won't parlay all of this but i'm taking Mayer in a single play
    and will parlay Dimi + Kohl
    Nishikori on a single play

GL

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Steve Johnson to beat Andrian Mannarino @1.73 (30 units)

BEST OF 5 SETS LEAVES ME COMFORTABLE THAT BS DOES NOT OCCUR/TAKE PLACE

Mannarino is supposedly good, not for me, he had a good patch of form last season and was rewarded with a good draw at wimbldon after John Isner retired in the first few games. He caught Dustin Brown, whom he matches up well against, coming straight off his victory over Hewitt. So there was that emotional downer for him to capitalise on. That's the reason he has his ranking and soon he'll be back to the mediocrity he belongs with, tourning challengers scattered across europe on hardcourt and indoor hardcourt tournaments.

Many will suggest Steve Johnson isn't much better, he essentially also tours around the challenger events but the with the USTA and the only times he makes 250/500 level tournaments are when he manages to get through the qualifiers or recieves a wild card in the US. Well the anser to that is don't let it misslead you, he is much different and it's because he prioritises his schedule and raises his level for these grandslams.

Last year Johnson took Almagro to 5 sets and served absolute bombs all match. He is clutch and even though limited from the back of the court, does possess a decent forehand like all these americans. He understands his strengths and weaknesses and plays to his strengths to give him the best effective and maximum chance of winning. Mannarino is a player that is too reliant on feel and finesse and as a result he gets tight during the tense moments, whilst Johnson just muscles through the tension.

If you don't wanna take my "subjective" views from "observations" I;ve made on their games, take the recent results to highlight you who comes in here WARM and matchsharp.

Steve Johnson
    an 6 2014 Auckland ATP (NZL) Match Stats, Hard Court, Seed (LL), Rank 160, Rating 1.18
    Quarter Final Lost to Yen-Hsun Lu(62,3.14) (TPE) 6-4 6-4 Recap Match Stats $2.571
    Round of 16 Def. (4)Kevin Anderson(20,2.38) (RSA) 7-5 6-4 Recap Match Stats $3.394
    Round of 32 Def. (WC)Marcos Baghdatis(109,2.88) (CYP) 7-5 6-7(3) 6-4 Recap Match Stats $3.068
    Qualifying Rnd Lost to (4)Bradley Klahn(95,1.52) (USA) 7-6(5) 7-6(3) Recap Match Stats $2.685
    Qualifying R2 Def. Maxime Chazal(488,-1.31) (FRA) 7-6(1) 7-6(3) Recap Match Stats $1.123
    Adrian Mannarino
    Jan 6 2014 Auckland ATP (NZL) Match Stats, Hard Court, Rank 71, Rating 1.69
    Round of 32 Lost to (WC)Jack Sock(100,1.70) (USA) 6-3 6-4 Recap Match Stats $1.753
    Dec 30 2013 Brisbane ATP (AUS) Match Stats, Hard Court, Rank 59, Rating 1.43
    Round of 32 Lost to (8)Jeremy Chardy(34,1.96) (FRA) 7-6(4) 7-5 Recap Match Stats $2.651

Regardless whether chardy and sock played well, fact remains Mannarino has only competed in 2 matches since the start of the season, whereas Johnson has played and beaten all three of Klhan, Baghdatis and Anderson. Not only this, but during the December period, just after christmas Johnson entered the USTA wild card play offs for the australian open and won beating Sandgren who had been in amazing form. He did so saving MATCHPOINT. THat will feel good.

Another demolition job!
    Last edited by ClutchOnandWin; 01-11-14 at 07:34 AM.