rankslash
    rankslash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8734

Nishikori 2-0 vs Hewitt. Opinion?

@2.35
    Guys, what do you think about taking Nishikori 2-0 against Hewitt? Hewitt is playing better and better after every match, but Nishikori is solid.

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whether you;ve forum ignored me or not. I;ll offer my view.

Nishikori is 100% murdering hewitt in my eyes. I cannot even see how he'll scrounge a set. They;re similar types of players but Nishi is that little bit better at everything and more importantly the younger.

Great preparation with his feet before every shot and world class shotmaker when he;s hot. Similar styles only mean the player with the better game with that style wins and that's nishi imo. Nishi just lacks the serve to take him inside the top 10.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: innn

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

I'm taking missery than going bigger on kei depending on result going to have a big play on kei no matter what games will done by sat night so either great or bad night kei should smack hewitt just needs to serve decent since he'll have lots of chances on hewitt serve

MiDNiTe

i wouldn't take 2-0 its hewitt home crowd fanatics support their player and kei can penetrate around

brodie
    you got the juice now
    brodie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

You guys are confident that Hewitt will lose? I'm not huge into tennis but I did my research on this game and the players involved and it seems alot closer than you guys are making it out to be

MiDNiTe

tell us why you think hewitt will win?

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    You guys are confident that Hewitt will lose? I'm not huge into tennis but I did my research on this game and the players involved and it seems alot closer than you guys are making it out to be
    Basically. Hewitt spent a while at world number 1 back in the early 2000s, took over from Sampras, momentarily. He has 2 grandslams (US Open beating Sampras and Wimbledon beating Nalbandian), 2 world tour finals titles and 2 masters series titles. Not to forget the odd Davis Cup. He was a world class aggressive counterpunching genius and mentally ridiculouly strong. His time has passed now, he's 32 and his game revolves around a lot of movement and having everything at a high level. The game has changed and there are more "big hitters" so he finds it difficult to survive. He played second fiddle to Federer for quite a while and they had some long matches during the mid 2000s.

Nishikori though is like a more modern day, upgraded version of hewitt. Hewitt cannot generate power with his forehand, only use the power other player's put on the ball, he absorbs the pace. His backhand remains his best shot and his serve still half decent. Never the less, his consistency between point to point has dropped and so has his quality of overall tennis. HE's a very smart player but not good enough to beat Nishikori who has a similar game but a weapon in his forehand. Nishi's also mentally tough and was back to his best yesterday. He's beaten the likes of Tsonga several times and is heading for the top 10. Fast hardcourts are almost perfect for him, medium hardcourts are perfect. These are fast hardcourts.

rankslash

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    There is no reason to back Hewitt against a player like Nishikori. There is a reason to bet on Hewitt against guys like Isner, Karlovic, Raonic...

rankslash

Quote Originally Posted by MiDNiTe View Post
    i wouldn't take 2-0 its hewitt home crowd fanatics support their player and kei can penetrate around
    I kinda agree. Maybe i will get the ML @1.53. I won't be greedy.

MiDNiTe

yh hewitt luvs the big guys add berdick and jdp to that list too

MiDNiTe

1.53? already haven't check odds i got him at 1.60 but was disappointed since a few had 1.65

MiDNiTe

yh odds have gone down i dunno if i will have a big play now regret waiting for missery to have bigger play

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Nishikori is too much of a Japanese Monfils, too inconsistent and you're clearly underestimating Hewitt at this moment. That said, I agree it's probably about as bad of a match-up as you can get.

innn
    innn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6470

if 1.53 is bad there's always the possibility of covering -2.5 spread.

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    Nishikori is too much of a Japanese Monfils, too inconsistent and you're clearly underestimating Hewitt at this moment. That said, I agree it's probably about as bad of a match-up as you can get.
    I don't agree he's as inconsistent between matches as Monfils or tournaments even. The one thing neither Monfils or Nishikori are, you'll admit this yourself is inconsistent during tournaments, between tournaments yeah but during?.... so......... considering Nishi produced what he did last match agaisnt Cilic, what's the chances of his game dropping? Not much.

stepanekslips
    stepanekslips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
    Whether you;ve forum ignored me or not. I;ll offer my view.

Nishikori is 100% murdering hewitt in my eyes. I cannot even see how he'll scrounge a set. They;re similar types of players but Nishi is that little bit better at everything and more importantly the younger.

Great preparation with his feet before every shot and world class shotmaker when he;s hot. Similar styles only mean the player with the better game with that style wins and that's nishi imo. Nishi just lacks the serve to take him inside the top 10.
    I think itll be closer than you think. Props on your extensive tennis knowledge though.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

I don't agree he's as inconsistent between matches as Monfils or tournaments even. The one thing neither Monfils or Nishikori are, you'll admit this yourself is inconsistent during tournaments, between tournaments yeah but during?.... so......... considering Nishi produced what he did last match agaisnt Cilic, what's the chances of his game dropping? Not much.
    I think he's inconsistent throughout matches.

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    I think he's inconsistent throughout matches.
    He struggles to hold serve because he hasn't gotta particularly good serve, that[s why he has tones of battles to hold. Gives you this feeling he's inconsistent but just can't get a first strike in with the serve so actually serving isn't even much of an advanage in the end.

losschaser
    losschaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Nishikori will win but Hewitt playing at home is a different level than Hewitt overseas. He is washed up but the home crowd will be supporting him and giving him extra motivation.

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by losschaser View Post
    I think Nishikori will win but Hewitt playing at home is a different level than Hewitt overseas. He is washed up but the home crowd will be supporting him and giving him extra motivation.

Similar player to nishikori interms of the fact he's an aggressive counterpuncher, a grinder and an occasional shotmaker but he has a big serve unlike nishi. (Or good serve, sorry) Tipsarevic.

3-0 Aussie Open.

ClutchOnandWin

This is when we could have said 50/50 and probably hewitt the slight edge due to his better serve. This was Hewitt at his peak.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Haven't been watching, but last year I'd give Hewitt a slight edge (in Australia) based on form I saw then.

Think you're all overplaying the "old man angle," everyone wants to time and note the exact amount of player's decline, and get in on it as it's happening. It's like timing the end of a streak to me, in a 9-game streak do you start betting against it at 5? 6? 7? 8? 9? Odds are you're down a lot, better to be on the side of the streak or off the game.

But like I said, haven't been watching, it may be he's slowed down considerably over the offsseason.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

with my picks lately 50/50 it's seems I've been over/under estimating certain players. I think Hewitt can sneak out a set here. I look at current Form. It will take 5-6 games IMO for Nishikori to true lay adjust to hewitt after seeing a big server like Cilic. Hewitt will have a way better return game than Cilic.

Is it hot today, Down under? I know historically nishikori hates the hot weather. IMO nishikori has played far greater talent so far.

Taking a stab at Hewitt first set winner or Nishikori 2-1 sets is what I like

matt1216

On second thought Hewitt has fallen behind His last two opponents early

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't see a murder job. Hewitt thrives off the pace of the ball. Guys who provide that pace work into the style of tennis he plays at this stage of his career. Nishikori doesn't bash the ball necessarily, but he does provide some of that pace + the quicker conditions here help that ball jump to. I would be surprised if Hewitt doesn't win a set tonight. Especially seeing Nishi's serve offer up some break opps, although Hewitt probably evens that out with his own faults in that category. I think it's a fairly even match at this stage of the season.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

This is when we could have said 50/50 and probably hewitt the slight edge due to his better serve. This was Hewitt at his peak.
    Are you saying Nishi today is a match for Hewitt at his peak?

If so, you're dreamin'

dRavidC
    dRavidC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6849

absolute coin toss

i lean hewitt, his record in the pre-season aussie court swing is just magnificent and seems to play his best tennis here in australia.

but having said that, wouldn't be surprised to see nishi winning it.

Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

Hey guys, I have Nishi as the last leg of a decent parlay. Should I hedge out by putting some on Hewitt, especially since he's + money?

dRavidC
    dRavidC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6849

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    Hey guys, I have Nishi as the last leg of a decent parlay. Should I hedge out by putting some on Hewitt, especially since he's + money?
    yes

matt1216

​wait after first set you will probably get +400 to hedge. If it hits. Hopefully it does
    Last edited by matt1216; 01-03-14 at 10:13 PM.

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    ​wait after first set you will probably get +400 to hedge
    Don't think 5dimes will offer live-wagering for this match, but I'll certainly check!

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    ​wait after first set you will probably get +400 to hedge. If it hits. Hopefully it does
    lol I was bang on +400 5.00ml after first set

Semper Fidelis

Lol That's awesome, if I could've taken it! 5dimes offers very limited live-wagering with tennis...

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

unreal, hewitt will still win when he's 50
    he has guts, i would have thought nishi would drill him, but it's not happening atm
    hope nishi turns it around for you guys

ClutchOnandWin

This guy and his injury problems.

12 Last