ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thoughts on Joao Souza against Victor Hanescu.....

I'm #baffled.

Is Joao an accomplished player on the main tour? Or would that be Victor?

Hanescu is a seasoned professional that's been on tour for approaching a decade, his game is based around his height from serving and ability to move opponents around with his forehand. He's an established tough competitor mentally and rarely gifts away cheap points or miss basic shots. He serves well at the big times and has a good high percentage pattern of play to his tennis with good netclearance on his shots.

IMO he is wrongly the underdog in this match. The two reasons he started as the dog and the masses are throwing their money on Souza are because Souza made a breakthrough onto the tour last season with a tournament win in a 250 atp event, he did so beating some fairly high calibre names.... ala Ferrer and Benneteu. IMO he was inspired during this week of tennis and performing above his "norm" and from the results that followed, it certainly showed. He's also now picked up a few fans and being touted as a future top 30-40 player. IMO he lacks the natural game to make it top 30-40. He is far to reliant on his forehand, there's no good enough kick or power to his second serve and when you target his backhand, you get shots very shallow from the baseline. He's good, don't get me wrong, I just feel it's a little over-the-top what people are saying and believing from one week of tennis last season which he played brilliant in big points during.

The other reason is Hanescu has been on a losing streak in the tail end of last season, but almost all his 4-5 losses involved him losing tiebreaks. When Hanescu is at anything near his "norm" he has too much in his arsenal for a player like Souza. Souza hasn't played this season and nor has Hanescu, they played their last matches in and around the same time.

Unless there's an injuy to Victor I do not know about, then the swing on this market makes little to no sense whatsoever.

2.9 ML? Who else thinks this is amazing value?

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

Joao Sousa** is a much better hard court player… he's on the rise since late last year where he won an ATP 250 Kuala Lumpur hard court title out of nowhere, He also took out Dimitrov and Nieminen at USO and made St. Petersburg semis. On the other hand Hanescu is old and seems to only do well on clay. So 2.9 ML is not even close to amazing value imo, everyone is betting on Sousa and rightfully so

JNic

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
    I'm #baffled.

Hanescu is a seasoned professional that's been on tour for approaching a decade, his game is based around his height from serving and ability to move opponents around with his forehand. He's an established tough competitor mentally and rarely gifts away cheap points or miss basic shots. He serves well at the big times and has a good high percentage pattern of play to his tennis with good netclearance on his shots.

IMO he is wrongly the underdog in this match. The two reasons he started as the dog and the masses are throwing their money on Souza are because Souza made a breakthrough onto the tour last season with a tournament win in a 250 atp event, he did so beating some fairly high calibre names.... ala Ferrer and Benneteu. IMO he was inspired during this week of tennis and performing above his "norm" and from the results that followed, it certainly showed. He's also now picked up a few fans and being touted as a future top 30-40 player. IMO he lacks the natural game to make it top 30-40. He is far to reliant on his forehand, there's no good enough kick or power to his second serve and when you target his backhand, you get shots very shallow from the baseline. He's good, don't get me wrong, I just feel it's a little over-the-top what people are saying and believing from one week of tennis last season which he played brilliant in big points during.
    What? Sousa is very good off both wings…

JNic

I'm more baffled about this thread honestly, I think you are mixing the Portuguese Joao Sousa with the Brazilian clay courter Joao Souza?

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by JNic View Post
    Joao Sousa** is a much better hard court player… he's on the rise since late last year where he won an ATP 250 Kuala Lumpur hard court title out of nowhere, He also took out Dimitrov and Nieminen at USO and made St. Petersburg semis. On the other hand Hanescu is old and seems to only do well on clay. So 2.9 ML is not even close to amazing value imo, everyone is betting on Sousa and rightfully so
    What? Sousa is very good off both wings…
    I'm more baffled about this thread honestly, I think you are mixing the Portuguese Joao Sousa with the Brazilian clay courter Joao Souza?
    The whole point of this thread is for debate and discussion. I also wanted a need a quick brainstorm, so as to decide whether or not to load the barrel more on Hanescu before pulling this trigger again. As you can see, many have very differing opinions, you here for instance.

Anyway. A few points in response.

I agree the wins over Dimitrov and Nieminen at the US Open were both very impressive and no one can take away from them. Although Hanescu cannot compete with those results on hardcourt, he has himself isn't exactly useless on the surface, there has been decent results in the past. Infact, you'll find before last season, it was Joao whom was predominantly rooted to touring South America competing in claycourt challengers with Alund, Velotti and co. I firmly agree with you that the two results at the US Open open cannot go unnoticed however.

Modern-day tennis has players playing at their peak in their late 20s and going all the way through to their mid 30s. Ala, Stepanek, Haas and a few others.

Joao is not very good off his backhand, no come on now. Show me clips? I clearly remember watching the final against Julien and how his backhand was a "liability". He needs to skip around his backhand and hit forehands to stay with top 50 players.

I am not confusing the two Sousa's, you joker. Your reminder on his wins at the US Open have put me off topping up on him to win and get a set though, so thanks.
    Last edited by ClutchOnandWin; 12-30-13 at 04:54 AM.

ClutchOnandWin

Just realised. I spelt his name with a "z" as opposed to a "s". My bad. lol Yeah, no, we are both talking about the same Sousa. I agreed with everything you said, except for the "very good off both wings" stuff.

I probably neglected the US Open evidence from last season a bit too much. I do feel Victor is more experienced and consistent throughout matches though and Sousa's results since he won that 250 tournament have dried up.

Possibly Sousa should be favourite, but 2.9 is still quite steep for me. Personally.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

So what... is Hanescu consistent now?

fightingu
    fightingu's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi guys. I'm from Romania and i don't like Hanescu at all. "He's an established tough competitor mentally and rarely gifts away cheap points or miss basic shots." I have to disagree - see the Wimbledon incident when he was fined for spitting. Also he refused to play in Davis Cup a long time for some silly reasons. He's a mediocre clay player, in the last 3 years he played 28 games on hard -8W, 20L-. I don't like this game but in my mind it's souza 60% - 40% hanescu.

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by fightingu View Post
    Hi guys. I'm from Romania and i don't like Hanescu at all. "He's an established tough competitor mentally and rarely gifts away cheap points or miss basic shots." I have to disagree - see the Wimbledon incident when he was fined for spitting. Also he refused to play in Davis Cup a long time for some silly reasons. He's a mediocre clay player, in the last 3 years he played 28 games on hard -8W, 20L-. I don't like this game but in my mind it's souza 60% - 40% hanescu.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I won;t be adding to this play, but I am not cashing out as I will kill myself if Hanescu comes through.

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    So what... is Hanescu consistent now?
    During matches, not from match to match.

ClutchOnandWin

Firing to plan thus far. 6-3 opening.....

JNic

Shit out here making me look bad, good pick regardless if he can close out he can go off with the first serve

ClutchOnandWin

It ain't about looking bad, who cares how you look? ALWAYS state your OPINION. Always.

Thanks.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
    It ain't about looking bad, who cares how you look? ALWAYS state your OPINION. Always.

Thanks.
    Didn't he previously imply he is on Sousa?

ClutchOnandWin

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    Didn't he previously imply he is on Sousa?
    Exactly, he didn't. He simply said it's "justifiable" why many are on Sousa.

Dude, you look into toomany petty things, who cares anyway?

ClutchOnandWin

Straight setter.

We should all smile as opposed to concern ourselves over some stupid SBR cred. Come on guys. Don't be obsessed with being right or wrong. It's the bigger picture that counts!

Don't worry about it JNic. Ensure me you pull me up if you disagree in future?! It's cool.

JNic

Yea I didn't bet but I really don't like Hanescu on hard courts.. his game is all choppy and doesn't really flow like when he's on clay. I guess Sousa was being way too overvalued, Hanescu can really heat up on the first serve tho