MiddleMan
    MiddleMan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1060

Hopman Cup

The Hopman Cup begins in two days. Does anyone have enough interest to have a wager on the outright winner, or will you only be placing wagers on head to head matches?

I got on the Australian team of Sam Stosur and Bernard Tomic @ $5.70 (+470) to win the event. Tomic should be well rested and hopefully remotivated for a bigger year, while Stosur is a good competitor most of the time in both singles and doubles. Home soil obviously a big key factor in my prediction.

The nations

Australia
    Sam Stosur (ranked #18)
    Bernard Tomic ranked #51)
    Last played together: NA

Canada
    Mils Raonic (ranked #11)
    Eugenie Bouchard (ranked #32)
    Last played together: NA (both making their Hopman Cup debut)

Czech Republic
    Petra Kvitova (ranked #6)
    Radek Stepanek (ranked #44)

Spain
    Tommy Robredo (ranked #18)
    Medina Garrigues (ranked #100)
    Last played together: 2007 (two wins, one loss)

Italy
    Andreas Seppi (ranked #25)
    Flavia Pennetta (ranked #31)

Poland
    Agnieszka Radwanksa (ranked #5)
    Grzegorz Panfil (ranked #288)
    Last played together: NA (both making their Hopman Cup debut)
    * The pre tournament favourite lost their key man Jerzy Janowicz (no longer favourite)

France
    Jo Wilfred Tsonga (ranked #10)
    Alize Cornet (ranked #27)

USA
    Sloane Stephens (ranked #12)
    John Isner (ranked #14)
    This is a Hopman Cup debut for Stephens, but Isner is a Hopman Cup veteran, and won the event in 2011.

rankslash
    rankslash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8734

Team Canada is the play for me. I believe that Bouchard will be the star of this season. Raonic is a serve bot, but still ... Otherwise, Czech Republic are the big favorites.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

France looks strong

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

What does everyone think about Genie Bouchard +158 against Stosur on Saturday? It seems like Genie could be a star in the making, and Stosur can suck at any time.

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by w@lt View Post
    What does everyone think about Genie Bouchard +158 against Stosur on Saturday? It seems like Genie could be a star in the making, and Stosur can suck at any time.
    My assesment of her is exceptional talent but doesn't play the big points great and thinks about the scoreboard a lot.

Looking at her game, she doesn't matchup that well against Stosur's heavy forehand IMO. Just doesn't possess the movement to neautralise it. Sam beat her 2 sets to 1 toward the end part of last season and finished the season very strongly overall. If there's a play, it'd be overs if you could get on a games like between 19-21 ... anything above 21 isn't worth it IMO. Although I really wouldn't be suprised if it finished 2 and 2 stosur.

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Then again, Stosur is notorious for being a massive choke in "Australia". So whilst this may be a little early for Bouchard, there's no saying the weight of expectation on her shoulders won't mean she throws in a stinker tomorrow.

Bouchard's odds are dropping pretty rapidly, I'm personally staying away. WTA is a mindless ballbashing web of annoyance. Unless Isee something clearcut in the women's game or of ridiculous value, I generally take this stance. Bouchard's odds are not value. Anything below 3.00 isn't IMO.

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

So far, so good for Canada!