EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer/Annacone Split

Not unexpected with the way the year went for Federer. Think it is a wise move to find a new voice to motivate. So new coch. Possibly new racket. 2014 should be intriguing for Federer. Hopefully he does go with a coach and doesn't self coach at this point. Think that would be a big mistake. He needs some guidance and advice.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/arti...e/mostReplied/

Paris (AFP) - Roger Federer split with coach Paul Annacone on Sunday as the 17-time Grand Slam title winner attempted to pull his career out of its worrying tailspin.

Former world number one Federer, now at seven in the rankings, revealed that he was calling time on his relationship with Annacone, who guided Pete Sampras during the American's glory years. "After a terrific three and a half years working together, Paul and I have decided to move on to the next chapter in our professional lives," Federer wrote on www.rogerfederer.com.

"When we started together we had a vision of a three-year plan to win another Grand Slam title and get back to the number one ranking.

"Along with many other goals and great memories, these two main goals were achieved.

"After numerous conversations culminating at the end of our most recent training block, we felt like this was the best time and path for both of us.

"Paul remains a dear friend, and we both look forward to continuing our friendship. I want to thank Paul for his help and the value he has added to me and my team."

Annacone started working with Federer in August, 2010, and the American took the Swiss star to a seventh Wimbledon title in 2012, his most recent major title. Federer's announcement comes just two days after he lost in the third round at the Shanghai Masters to Gael Monfils. That was his first tournament since losing in the fourth round of the US Open.Earlier this year, Federer saw his incredible record of 36 consecutive Grand Slam quarter-finals ended abruptly in the second round at Wimbledon.

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only thing I'm surprised about is that Fed didn't make this decision sooner ... like after the loss to Robredo at Flushing Meadows.

I think he's smart enough to not try self coaching.

You have a lean on who he would hire?

EaglesPhan36

Not sure. Depends how far out of his comfort zone he wants to go. The guy who is the Davis Cup captain apparently was more or less a co-coach with Annacone from some of the stuff I read, so he could just keep that guy alongside.

I would expect that he has some clue what he is going to do if he decided to split with Annacone now vs. waiting for the season to end. To me that would signal that perhaps whomever the eventual replacement is may monitor him here at the end of the year to study what needs to change or maybe to give him some different things to try.

Not really sure about who is available as coaches go, don't know a lot of names there.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Federer is done

Older

Nerves shot

He is not even a top 10 player now

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

It's obviously Annacone's fault that Federer is old.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If federer ever had joker or nadals heart he would of win 22 majors

He just had incredible tennis talent but in my opinion got tight a lot against the top players in semis and major finals that he should've won .

Same with Lendl lacked the heart and choked a lot he should've won tons more majors

gottimhimmel
    gottimhimmel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 876

Well, I along with many others think that Fed isn't very far from Retiring.

EaglesPhan36

If his realistic goal is to play in the Rio Olympics in 2016, he's not retiring anytime soon. He's going to continue to scale back his workload. Would not surprise me if he turned into someone who only plays Masters/Slams mainly with a few 500-level events thrown in. He's not going to worry about ranking because it's going to fall more, but he'll get a Wildcard into any event he wants. So it's not like he has to worry about overplaying to keep the ranking up.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

No but he'll have a tougher time with a lower ranking. Although that's nothing compared to the effort saved.

EaglesPhan36

I think he'd have a tough time regardless of ranking. Certainly it means tougher Grand Slam draws with not many cakewalks in the early rounds - but what is a cakewalk for him any more? Interested to see how he works this. Common perception from what I have seen is that he either goes with no coach/his Swiss buddy giving him advice or he should go for a hard ass that would challenge him.

He should let Connors slap him around.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    If federer ever had joker or nadals heart he would of win 22 majors

He just had incredible tennis talent but in my opinion got tight a lot against the top players in semis and major finals that he should've won
    you expected him to win every one, every time?
    4-0 against Murray or Djoko in GS finals
    del Potro is the only man not named Rafa to beat him in a GS final...

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    He should let Connors slap him around.
    Could we turn that into a reality show and put it on Tennis Channel?