MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Serena Williams +150 to win French Open 2013

Looks like the opening futures line for Serena is +150. I was thinking this would have been close to even money but +150 is too juicy to pass up. I bet this will get pounded down to even money in a few days.

I can't see a surer bet on the women's side. Only thing you have to worry about is an injury because no one on this planet is beating Serena on clay this year.

baconbets
    baconbets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

garbine muguruza will destroy serena, but her futures line isnt available yet since she has to qualify first. technicalities.

on a more serious note, i think li na can hang with serena on clay. i'd like to see the draws first.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by baconbets View Post
    garbine muguruza will destroy serena, but her futures line isnt available yet since she has to qualify first. technicalities.

on a more serious note, i think li na can hang with serena on clay. i'd like to see the draws first.
    Li Na will get overpowered by Williams. It will be a bloodbath. The only person I can see possibly getting more than 6 games off Williams is Sharapova on an extremely lucky day. I'm talking about the moon and stars have to be aligned just right and Serena having cramps and even then Williams may still pound her silly.

ohumad
    ohumad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

On it! Looked like it dropped +100 after the tourney win. Wish I grabbed that jooocy booty @ the 5.00 opening.
    Quote Originally Posted by baconbets View Post

Like bacon bits btw but love strips even more. I would also agree that the most likely person to beat Williams on clay is Li Na but as of late she has not been playing well. Cibulkova is someone to watch out for to upset Azarenka or Sharapova but she has too much trouble with other players I wouldn't expect her to go the distance.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Guys how long is the french open last?

baconbets

not sure which books everyone uses but bovada has had french open futures for weeks now. they have wimbledon and US open futures as well. serena has been a little better than even money for a while now, +120 for all 3 events.

for futures bettors who dont care about seeing a draw first, this is the time to grab nadal at +400 for the US open and wimbledon. those odds are guaranteed to come down.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    The only person I can see possibly getting more than 6 games off Williams is Sharapova on an extremely lucky day. .
    She has lost sets to jankovic and 6-0 to Anabel medina garrigues in the clay season.

Lets not forget she was dominant in rome and Madrid last year, but lost the first round of French open.

I will give u +500 on a bet that she doesn't lose a set.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I won't be arguing that the +150 won't give you great options throughout the tournament, able to hedge whenever you see fit - but the fact that Serena has only won the French Open once makes me think the actual outcome is still anything but a sure thing. This has been by far the toughest Slam for her over the years.

She is playing terrific tennis for sure, but the French always seems to spring surprises on the WTA side.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I won't be arguing that the +150 won't give you great options throughout the tournament, able to hedge whenever you see fit - but the fact that Serena has only won the French Open once makes me think the actual outcome is still anything but a sure thing. This has been by far the toughest Slam for her over the years.

She is playing terrific tennis for sure, but the French always seems to spring surprises on the WTA side.
    The only surprise I see is Serena maybe losing 2 sets max throughout the entire tournament. She may have a hiccup here and there but nothing severe match threatening. Not the way she's been beasting on this surface. This is like the best form I've seen her in years on clay. It wasnt supposed to on this surface but even her serve is unreturnable. Chicks got no chance if the serve is on cue among other things to worry about from Serena.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    She has lost sets to jankovic and 6-0 to Anabel medina garrigues in the clay season.

Lets not forget she was dominant in rome and Madrid last year, but lost the first round of French open.

I will give u +500 on a bet that she doesn't lose a set.
    I agree dude. I'm just saying she's the only nearest person in this Milky Way that holds the slightest chance. Azarenka's ground strokes have become unreliable the past 3 months. It will probably be a 6-4 6-3 clubbing from Serena if she meets Pova in the final.

secret007
    secret007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 332

Serena is no doubt the best woman in the tour BY FAR, but betting on a woman to win a grandslam at +150 is .

I wont be surprised if she gets knocked out before Semi against a nobody. This is WTA.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by secret007 View Post
    Serena is no doubt the best woman in the tour BY FAR, but betting on a woman to win a grandslam at +150 is .

I wont be surprised if she gets knocked out before Semi against a nobody. This is WTA.

There's a WTA and there's Serena Williams. They're not in the same class. She should have her own league.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Its def. hard to make any arguments about any player on the tour beating her...but like you mentioned its all about the injury chances (as we saw in AO).

So the question comes down to whether you'd be willing to lay +150 on an injury not taking place. Because I think other than that, Williams should be as motivated as possible knowing she hasn't done too well in this tourny and this may be one of her very few remaining chances to win this trophy.

I think its def. worthy of a play but maybe not something to go crazy big on.

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Absolutely horrible bet. Simply because she's "unbeatable" in a few matches at this very moment, you can't know that she'll continuously play this well for another three weeks or so.

aceking
    aceking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

got in at +187.5 .

Sharapova and Azarenka were both made to look like amatuers in last 2 finals .

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I watched Serena's match vs Azarenka SUnday.......and I thought I was watching Serena play an 18 year old from Bulgaria.
    I just dont see how she losses a match if even slightly motivated.

secret007
    secret007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 332

What were Serena's French Open pre-tournament odds in the last 8 years? I'm curious to know. She won only once her entire career and I'm pretty sure she was the favorite in more than one occasion.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    I watched Serena's match vs Azarenka SUnday.......and I thought I was watching Serena play an 18 year old from Bulgaria.
    I just dont see how she losses a match if even slightly motivated.
    Problem is we can say that every Slam for her and look back to Australia. Admittedly more match play, but she rolled through Brisbane to a title and barely broke a sweat in four matches until the quarters when Stephens beat her.

Again, not saying I would go against her or disagree that the price is right, just don't think this is like Rafa in his prime heading into the French where you question if he'd drop a set to anyone.

ohumad

Quote Originally Posted by secret007 View Post
    What were Serena's French Open pre-tournament odds in the last 8 years? I'm curious to know. She won only once her entire career and I'm pretty sure she was the favorite in more than one occasion.
    S. Williams was the favourite in '12, '08, '03 at 3.50, 3.00, 2.80 odds respectively in the last 10 years.
    I believe the only woman to win as a favourite in the last 10 years was J. Henin in '07, '06, '05 at 2.63, 2.28, ?? odds respectively. Not sure if it means anything but interesting to know.

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

Got her at +300 on 5dimes on May 1st!!

ohumad

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    Absolutely horrible bet. Simply because she's "unbeatable" in a few matches at this very moment, you can't know that she'll continuously play this well for another three weeks or so.
    Who do you gt if anyone at all yet?

BrianLaverty

Quote Originally Posted by gators0708 View Post
    Got her at +300 on 5dimes on May 1st!!
    Thats a # I would consider Serena at... +150 is just too little return to depend on a woman (though she might actually be a man) to be consistent for 7 matches.

ohumad

Sharpova and Williams at 5.00 would have been the sht!

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Quote Originally Posted by ohumad View Post
    Who do you gt if anyone at all yet?
    Jerzy and Stan. Taken quite some time ago though. I don't expect either to win, but if a men's upset were ever to occur at RG, this would be the year...

Time to go all in on Halep?

ohumad

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    Jerzy and Stan. Taken quite some time ago though. I don't expect either to win, but if a men's upset were ever to occur at RG, this would be the year...

Time to go all in on Halep?
    Hopefully Stan continues to improve. Yea Federer on the decline, and Nadal has seemed vulnerable this year although maybe that was laid to rest at Rome. Djoker with some early exits but that doesn't mean anything to me after Monte Carlo. I have good memories of Halep .

tropolis
    tropolis's Avatar Become A Pro!

the only person who can beat serena is serena.

ohumad

Looks like a lot of people have Serena futures.

MDF to bury the whole forum
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-14-15 at 12:38 PM.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Hopefully Stan continues to improve. Yea Federer on the decline, and Nadal has seemed vulnerable this year although maybe that was laid to rest at Rome. Djoker with some early exits but that doesn't mean anything to me after Monte Carlo. I have good memories of Halep .

umm Nadal is having the best year on tour.
    Last edited by Sport_Fish; 05-21-13 at 10:08 PM.

ohumad

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post

umm Nadal is having the best year on tour.
    Winning 5 of 6 finals- not good enough! That sht doesn't float with Uncle Toni! Better wording would be, Nadal is dominating on clay, but not at the same level as last year. He dropped 1 set in the entire clay season in '12 (French Open finals), ignoring his loss in Madrid on that blue stuff he hates. This year he's already dropped 4 since Monte Carlo ignoring the loss to Djoker in the Monte Carlo finals. He almost lost to Dimitrov at that tourney and Gulbis went toe to toe with him recently. It's funny that I'm making a deal of 4 sets but that's the standard he set.

IMO the value is on Djoker to win RG rather than Nadal if you had to take a future right now.
    Last edited by ohumad; 05-21-13 at 10:48 PM.

BrianLaverty

Nadal did not look dominant at all vs. Gulbis and Ferrer. If anything, I thought that was the worst he's looked on clay in a long time. Of course, then he went on to destroy Berdych and Federer, so not sure if you can make anything of it.

Remember though... its been 11 months since he's played a 5-setter... That might play huge when it comes to playing against Djokovic.

baconbets

taking the serena future is like "buying high" in investing. she cant really do any better on clay than she already has. her performances so far are baked into her price. you are paying for the fact that she has done well this clay season, not whether she will continue to do well. none of the intangibles are on her side. her age, various illnesses, and activity level are all working against her.

innn
    innn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by aceking View Post
    got in at +187.5 .

Sharapova and Azarenka were both made to look like amatuers in last 2 finals .
    you are kidding from what I saw Azarenka made an amateurs of herself with kiddie first serveŽliterally offering points to Serena.That was not the play of ferocius Azarenka. I have to agree that is a horrible bet Serena is really beatable it just takes a laborius birth of a player during such slam and is done. I am not Azarenka's fanboy but I watched in the past other players beat Serena and I will watch it gladly again.
    LAst year she was 1.01 and what could be more of a lock than 1.01 and got trashed by ....RAzzano?! maybe this time Cornet or some other?
    I am biased towards skinnier females winning Rolland GArros preferrably ones that didn't win it already or nobody expects them to win
    in the good tradition of last years
    I admit she is fit but so she was in 2008 and got crushed by ...Srebotnik.
    I hope Azarenka or for that matter any other player stings her when it matters most.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

There's not much value on the men side right now that I can see. Djoker proved he can take Nadal out on clay at Monte Carlo so there's not really a clear cut winner, not anywhere near the value of Serena.

Sharp Snake
    Sharp Snake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 760

Winning 5 of 6 finals- not good enough! That sht doesn't float with Uncle Toni! Better wording would be, Nadal is dominating on clay, but not at the same level as last year. He dropped 1 set in the entire clay season in '12 (French Open finals), ignoring his loss in Madrid on that blue stuff he hates. This year he's already dropped 4 since Monte Carlo ignoring the loss to Djoker in the Monte Carlo finals. He almost lost to Dimitrov at that tourney and Gulbis went toe to toe with him recently. It's funny that I'm making a deal of 4 sets but that's the standard he set.

IMO the value is on Djoker to win RG rather than Nadal if you had to take a future right now.
    Please dont confuse his clay court results with Hard surfaces. Also, if you look at the draws he had in these 250s in Acalpoco and such, I'm not putting too much weight on, and there's no way I'd place a bet for a tournament 4 months from now given his recent injury history.
    Last edited by Sharp Snake; 05-22-13 at 02:13 AM.

aceking
    aceking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Azarenka can't win without dirty tricks .

12 Last