the scab man
    the scab man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

might be a dumb tennis question but....

how does azarenka lose the #1 ranking if she loses against Li Na tonight?

Im not the most up to date on tennis, i pay attention to who wins and stuff but not religiously....I just saw a thing on ESPN saying Serena would be claim the #1 ranking if Azarenka loses tonight, why tho? Azarenka still made it further than Serena AND beat Stevens who Serena lost 2....whats the criteria for the rankings? Or did i just see the piece on ESPN incorrectly

Untied
    Untied's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

She's the reigning AO Champ so I image its because she has more points to defend.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

If you don't make it as far as you did in the same tourney the previous year then you lose ranking points. If the person below you is close enough, that drop in points will allow them to pass you. Doesn't matter who a person beats... Aza could've beaten Djoko. Just matters if she defends her title.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    If you don't make it as far as you did in the same tourney the previous year then you lose ranking points. If the person below you is close enough, that drop in points will allow them to pass you. Doesn't matter who a person beats... Aza could've beaten Djoko. Just matters if she defends her title.
    Do you know of anyone who publishes alternative rankings based on every match?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Do you know of anyone who publishes alternative rankings based on every match?
    No, not sure anyone does it formally or at least I haven't seen one yet. I usually just check the Tour sites before a tournament to see who's defending what as that can often help figure out a player's motivation outside of a Slam. If you do find a site that does it though, let me know!

the scab man
    the scab man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

thats weirdddddd, thanks shari and untied i was trying to think of any ways possible that she'd lose her #1 rank but couldnt think of anything, i wouldve never had thought that tho lol

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by the scab man View Post
    thats weirdddddd, thanks shari and untied i was trying to think of any ways possible that she'd lose her #1 rank but couldnt think of anything, i wouldve never had thought that tho lol
    Yeah it's definitely a bit strange to get your mind around at first. But that's how someone like Wozniacki managed to stay #1 for so long without ever winning a Slam. As long as she matched or surpassed what she did at a tourney the year before she was always able to stay ahead of everyone.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post

No, not sure anyone does it formally or at least I haven't seen one yet. I usually just check the Tour sites before a tournament to see who's defending what as that can often help figure out a player's motivation outside of a Slam. If you do find a site that does it though, let me know!
    I've thought about putting one together myself quite a few times.

Surprised a website like TI hasn't done it.