mdfizzle
    mdfizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer (A Discussion)

If Federer could add one thing to his game to return to #1, what would it be? I'd argue against better fitness and being able to run more balls down, he did get to a 5th set against Murray. Sure, he lost 6-2 but I don't see that being the cause. To me, what really sticks out is his inability to get free points on his first serve. 5 Aces or whatever is not gonna cut it. He has to work hard during his service games and trying to break. Now, I don't know Feds game post a couple years ago, but did he ever have a big serve? I also feel like Federer needs to have better shot selection. Was it not Murray who had better pace on his ball and made it more difficult for Roger? Wasn't Feds about tearing his opponents down on his back hand slice? I ask these questions because Roger is my favorite player and I would love to see him succeed and win more titles. But I can't see how he can do it continuing to play the way he does against the top opponents of the game. Would love to hear some comments.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

He does have a solid serve. Look at his serve stats from the first four five rounds. Problem is elite returners like Murray and Djokovic and even Ferrer to an extent can negate his serve with their superior return skills and make his ground strokes a much bigger part of the equation to winning. It also wears on him mentally I think as the match goes on and puts more pressure on his service games if he sees them consistently getting put back into play when they have not been put into play the last rounds before that. That means when he goes against Murray and Djokovic, his groundies have to be at an A+ level.

Conditions also play a large part - look at Wimbledon when he beat Murray last year. The roof closed creating a lightning quick surface and Federer was hitting all his spots on his serve in that one and dominated Murray once the roof closed. There's a reason Federer made the comments about needing more quick surfaces in the game. He knows they give him the best chance to win.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

His serve is not the problem. Although h e didn't get as many aces as normal, he still has one of the top deliveries in the game. His placement and variety make up for the lack of pace compared to some other big servers.
    I think his reluctance to attack second serves really hurts him against a player like Murray, Djokovic, or Nadal. These three are all stronger in baseline rallies that last more than a few shots, so his chip return is just not good enough. He needs to take control off second serves against these top tier baseline players.
    Overall, Federer is still amazing! It's just that we have the four best players off all time playing right now(when Nadal is healthy). The speed of these guys is unreal and forces Roger out of his comfort zone. He may never be number one again, but that is due to the ability of his competitors, not much drop at all inFed's game.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    He does have a solid serve. Look at his serve stats from the first four five rounds. Problem is elite returners like Murray and Djokovic and even Ferrer to an extent can negate his serve with their superior return skills and make his ground strokes a much bigger part of the equation to winning. It also wears on him mentally I think as the match goes on and puts more pressure on his service games if he sees them consistently getting put back into play when they have not been put into play the last rounds before that. That means when he goes against Murray and Djokovic, his groundies have to be at an A+ level.

Conditions also play a large part - look at Wimbledon when he beat Murray last year. The roof closed creating a lightning quick surface and Federer was hitting all his spots on his serve in that one and dominated Murray once the roof closed. There's a reason Federer made the comments about needing more quick surfaces in the game. He knows they give him the best chance to win.
    EP right on as well!

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fed has a dangerous potent serve. It is still and always will be his strength. What happens is when it gets deep into the match, there is a major dip in FIRST SERVE percentage which is vital against good returners. It didnt used to be like this several years ago. Fed used to dominate everyone across the board with that serve.

Is that due to aging, concentration, or fitness? I believe its a combination of all three. You can do all the conditioning you want but you cant escape aging forever....it will eventually catch up. Fed is still in incredible shape for his age. However, it's undeniable and apparent yesterday that today's game has two of the best returners and defenders in the game with Murray and Djokovic. This dip in serving percentage won't win you matches between these two beasts.

Fed has done some incredible things on the court at his age of 31. Tennis is a grueling sport and once you hit that 28 range, it's downhill for 90% of the players on tour. For him to still be a dominant force at 31 is remarkable.

mdfizzle

How would a Roger in his absolute prime fare against these guys today? Did Roger seize on a golden opportunity where he could collect a lot of titles based on weak competition?

mdfizzle

Love the responses so far. I think we all agree that what Feds continues to do is nothing short of amazing. I guess the conclusion is as much as Feds wants to win - there may be little he can do in his game to improve his chances of winning. He needs to take advantage of the right playing surface ala his last slam at Wimbledon.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mdfizzle View Post
    How would a Roger in his absolute prime fare against these guys today? Did Roger seize on a golden opportunity where he could collect a lot of titles based on weak competition?
    Most definitely yes.

Years ago, Roger's competition was nowhere near the caliber of the Big Four of today. Back then, the guys from #2 to #4 were still beatable in slams from guys ranked #10 and beyond. Today, there is such a big gap in skill from the Big Four and even #5 ranked Ferrer /Berdych/DP and so forth......BIG GAP.

As tennis fans, we're lucky to be part of this generation and to see the incredible tennis displayed in every Grand Slam the last few years.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

he had a tough draw. had to play raonic and tsonga while murray played exhausted chardy and simon

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mdfizzle View Post
    If Federer could add one thing to his game to return to #1, what would it be? I'd argue against better fitness and being able to run more balls down, he did get to a 5th set against Murray. Sure, he lost 6-2 but I don't see that being the cause. To me, what really sticks out is his inability to get free points on his first serve. 5 Aces or whatever is not gonna cut it. He has to work hard during his service games and trying to break. Now, I don't know Feds game post a couple years ago, but did he ever have a big serve? I also feel like Federer needs to have better shot selection. Was it not Murray who had better pace on his ball and made it more difficult for Roger? Wasn't Feds about tearing his opponents down on his back hand slice? I ask these questions because Roger is my favorite player and I would love to see him succeed and win more titles. But I can't see how he can do it continuing to play the way he does against the top opponents of the game. Would love to hear some comments.
    Murray just played one of the best games of his career, in particular his serving.

The biggest flaw in Federer's game last night was shot selection in the return game. Playing too defensively instead of going for killshots earlier in rallies, and not attacking Murray's 2nd serve enough in the first two sets. Murray got too comfortable early and that really carried his game at times, feeling like he could go for the big first serve without worry of Federer capitalizing on his 2nd serve.

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Federer needs to hit the dumbbells, he could do with adding a little muscle to his chicken arms.

Maybe consider changing to a more forgiving racquet at this stage of his career as well.

ha1ogen
    ha1ogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2797

how about a better double-handed backhand, that single-handed backhand is weak