EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wednesday Picks: Make Sure You Consider This ...

Temps will be the hottest of the week, 97 degrees forecast high - so on court it will probably be something insane like 115-120 with the sun beating down. Definitely something to consider for the matches played during the day. See the projected temp at 90 by 11am. These temps are 15-20 degrees higher than earlier this week.

Rod Laver matches should be played under the roof I would imagine. Would be ridiculous not to. Shari already posted how hot it felt yesterday when it was only about 80 I think ... so it's going to be a large factor for some of these players.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Probably good to mention too that unlike the Northern Hemisphere the temperatures here get hotter late afternoon to early evening ie highest temps today were between 3-7pm.

benrama
    benrama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Any views on which players it favours and which it doesn't?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by benrama View Post
    Any views on which players it favours and which it doesn't?
    Peng will struggle although it's hard to say how much since she's playing the first match. But she said she felt dizzy from the heat against Marino and that was like 23 degrees. So that + still recovering from her shoulder injury should be enough to get Kirilenko through. WTA though so who the f knows. Going to check out who else is playing in a bit.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Wouldn't the spaniards be in favour (if any are playing) in comparison to russians , french and other euro's!

I mean it's not like it's going to effect someone from a hot country playing vs murray.

this weather thing wont have too much effect, if it's too hot to that effect, it'll be hot enough that they stop play. and what temperature would it have to reach for that to happen?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

They kept playing when it was over 100 in Sydney.

I was surprised how little effect the hot weather had on play that day though.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post
    Wouldn't the spaniards be in favour (if any are playing) in comparison to russians , french and other euro's!

I mean it's not like it's going to effect someone from a hot country playing vs murray.

this weather thing wont have too much effect, if it's too hot to that effect, it'll be hot enough that they stop play. and what temperature would it have to reach for that to happen?
    It'll definitely have an effect purely because of the sun and the blue courts. They don't stop matches unless it's absolutely blistering out there and like I said in EP's thread the wet bulb temp hits whatever the ref decides beforehand. And even then, if the court has a roof they close it and keep playing which just traps the heat anyway. The Ref, Wayne McKewen, has already said he's not expecting to close any roofs tomorrow or halt play because humidity will be low. http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...116-2ctwj.html

EaglesPhan36

Good story here.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...116-2ctwj.html

Weather will have a definite impact IMO. And from that story, it sounds like players will have to suck it up for the most part. It's mostly about how players have prepped. The big boys (Murray, Federer, Djokovic) usually prep specifically with the heat in mind. Others don't.

benrama
    benrama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

I'm thinking not just fatigue but maybe also the way the court plays when hot, I'm thinking it would travel faster through the air and favour the big servers?

I'm looking at Levine and Chardy ...

AceKingHigh
    Going for the Win!
    AceKingHigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Dog of the day - Amir to beat Kohl. at +1015 lol , just put $15 on that shit... Amir W. is playing from my country (Israel) and I'm a fan so why not... he is in a good form and one thing you can be assured of... he won't give a F about the weather ... let it gets as hot as possible!!! used to it.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by AceKingHigh View Post
    Dog of the day - Amir to beat Kohl. at +1015 lol , just put $15 on that shit... Amir W. is playing from my country (Israel) and I'm a fan so why not... he is in a good form and one thing you can be assured of... he won't give a F about the weather ... let it gets as hot as possible!!! used to it.
    GL to us and Amir - I have a small bet on him too. Not really expecting it to win but I don't think Kohli deserves that price and funny things happen at Slams.

EaglesPhan36

I would say too as mentioned earlier though, don't make this the ultimate deciding factor in your picks. Talent/form is still going to win 9/10.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

i guess on this logic soeda will beat tsonga, because he's from a warmer country lol

(japan is warmer than france right?)

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    It's mostly about how players have prepped. The big boys (Murray, Federer, Djokovic) usually prep specifically with the heat in mind. Others don't.
    I'm sorry but this is a total crock-professionals prep for this tourny with the weather in mind, no matter what your rank is.
    you may just hear more frequently what kind of training the big boys and gals do moreso than others.

EaglesPhan36

That's not true at all. A lot of these players spend more time in their home countries, at least the fringe players outside the Top 50 than they do getting prepped for the heat. And I'm not just talking about playing a warm-up tourney in Australia or training extra hours in Los Angeles or wherever. I'm talking about the guys who train for three-six weeks in Doha or Las Vegas or other places that at least somewhat simulate the environment. I think you give some of these guys/girls too much credit if you think they all train in conditions that will prepare them for this sort of heat.

There's definitely a difference in the way some of the top players prepare for these conditions vs. the younger players.

vaas187
    vaas187's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a total crock-professionals prep for this tourny with the weather in mind, no matter what your rank is.
    you may just hear more frequently what kind of training the big boys and gals do moreso than others.
    I agree with EP. Obviously every athlete will prep for weather conditions, some more than others though like anything. With more money and resources comes better preparation, planning and anticipation. A la Steven Stamkos in hockey. There's a reason my boy can put up 60 grapes a season and EVERYONE ELSE who trains with Gary Roberts typically has a step up on their conditioning and athletics than other players. Granted the comparison is a bit of an apple/orange since everyone comes from the same pot as apose to tennis players playing worldwide, but during the summer (when these players go through their training motions in their own countries or cities) is what makes the difference.

shari91

That's not true at all. A lot of these players spend more time in their home countries, at least the fringe players outside the Top 50 than they do getting prepped for the heat. And I'm not just talking about playing a warm-up tourney in Australia or training extra hours in Los Angeles or wherever. I'm talking about the guys who train for three-six weeks in Doha or Las Vegas or other places that at least somewhat simulate the environment. I think you give some of these guys/girls too much credit if you think they all train in conditions that will prepare them for this sort of heat.

There's definitely a difference in the way some of the top players prepare for these conditions vs. the younger players.
    This is so true. That's why I mentioned Peng. "I have long time didn't play hot, you know, the weather, because from Shenzhen and Hobart have like really cold. I have to play with my jacket. Then today the sun was on the court, and the sun was like really light. On the court I feel a little bit like dizzy." It doesn't matter where a player's from...it matters what they've been doing leading up to this tournament. Playing a match or two in Australia doesn't equal prep for this weather. Just looking at Peng's schedule she hasn't played anywhere even remotely warm since the US Open. Or had time to train for the weather because she's played a packed schedule since. Her last match before Melbourne was a week ago in Hobart (freezing in comparison). If she hopped a plane immediately after that loss to Melb she would've experienced one 40 degree day between then and today. Yet she felt dizzy in 23 degrees. It takes a hell of a lot more than being physically present here for one hot day (if she even trained that day) to prepare for the weather and the huge hole in the ozone that hovers over Australia. Who knows if she'll lose or not but before coming to Sydney, Kirilenko hadn't played since the end of October. She was in Russia for Xmas but where was she for the rest of that time? That's info I'd definitely want to find out and consider if I were thinking of betting on this match. Or any other one actually especially now after what McKewen said.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

EP or Shari, what do you think about this
    Putintseva, she just turned 18 days ago
    but seems to have potential, she had no
    problem with McHale and is the dog
    vs Navarro

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    EP or Shari, what do you think about this
    Putintseva, she just turned 18 days ago
    but seems to have potential, she had no
    problem with McHale and is the dog
    vs Navarro
    I keep looking at that match and I'm really tempted to bet her especially now that her price is rising but I'm worried Carla's going to push her around the court if she's on.

vaas187

Yo EP and Shari,

I don't want to play it because favorites always let down but tennis seems fairly predictable with the big dogs.....

Federer, Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, S. Williams......parlayed. Do you see a chance any looses? Want to throw it in with a basketball play tonight but the payout for those parlayed is so little vs. the risk

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by vaas187 View Post
    Yo EP and Shari,

I don't want to play it because favorites always let down but tennis seems fairly predictable with the big dogs.....

Federer, Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, S. Williams......parlayed. Do you see a chance any looses? Want to throw it in with a basketball play tonight but the payout for those parlayed is so little vs. the risk
    I never feel completely comfortable with Gasquet in a parlay because of how many times he's hooped me before. But yeah, he and the others *should* win unless something remarkable happens.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    I keep looking at that match and I'm really tempted to bet her especially now that her price is rising but I'm worried Carla's going to push her around the court if she's on.
    I'm gonna back her on a standard play. She seems to deserve it.

vaas187

I never feel completely comfortable with Gasquet in a parlay because of how many times he's hooped me before. But yeah, he and the others *should* win unless something remarkable happens.
    Last time I played tennis, i have just a small wager on a couple favorites but one of them blew it. All things considered, the *favorite* was only -550 or so, which isn't that much in the full scheme of tennis but is still heavy juice in the grand scheme of betting.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

I'm talking about the guys who train for three-six weeks in Doha or Las Vegas or other places that at least somewhat simulate the environment. I think you give some of these guys/girls too much credit if you think they all train in conditions that will prepare them for this sort of heat.

I disagree-and Murray, for example, was in the UK quite recently and had trained over the winter in Miami-mid 70's, not exactly prepping for extreme heat.

vaas187

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    I disagree-and Murray, for example, was in the UK quite recently and had trained over the winter in Miami-mid 70's, not exactly prepping for extreme heat.
    true, but I believe their overall conditioning levels are heightened more so than other athletes.

We can all speculate these things though.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by benrama View Post
    I'm thinking not just fatigue but maybe also the way the court plays when hot, I'm thinking it would travel faster through the air and favour the big servers?
    Yup. Worth nothing though that a lot of taller players, who tend to be the better servers, suffer in the heat.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I'm gonna back her on a standard play. She seems to deserve it.
    Ok I just did too but only for half a unit. Also have half on Chardy and a square ass chalky parlay I bet earlier.

Just found out I have 6 passes to a box inside Rod Laver today so if I end up going I'll post in this thread. If anyone's around you can at least come hang out in air conditioning with free food and grog until you want to venture out again. Not sure I'm willing to brave it though.

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Yup. Worth nothing though that a lot of taller players, who tend to be the better servers, suffer in the heat.
    Is Delpo worth a fade? He's certainly a taller player. I wonder how his fitness is? I feel like it sometimes is not that great?

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

Quote Originally Posted by w@lt View Post
    Is Delpo worth a fade? He's certainly a taller player. I wonder how his fitness is? I feel like it sometimes is not that great?
    Eh, I threw $20 on Becker to win $500

EaglesPhan36

Delpo's legs and arms would have to fall off. And I'd still take him. Again I think be careful how much you're looking at the heat being a factor. Also release Del Potro is playing the last match of the night on Margaret Court so the conditions won't be as harsh as the earlier matches.

mdfizzle
    mdfizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can I get some thoughts on Peer +200?

Tmuston Beltics
    Tmuston Beltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by mdfizzle View Post
    She sucks. Bad server. If she keeps sucking on her serve like she did against her first round opponent, she don't stand a change. The only way I see her grab a win if Date Krumm tilts and makes a ton of unforced errors.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by mdfizzle View Post
    I really like that play and put a bit on her awhile ago... but you just reminded me that I forgot to put her in at TI. And over there she's the dog favourite which I know EP tries to fade. I just cannot picture a world where Date Krumm is $1.45 against anyone in the 2nd round of the Aussie Open at this point. Peer might be trying to find form but bloody hell.

AceKingHigh
    Going for the Win!

GL to us and Amir - I have a small bet on him too. Not really expecting it to win but I don't think Kohli deserves that price and funny things happen at Slams.
    I know, I talked with a few of my tennis partners today as we set to play tomorrow on the afternoon and I told 'em that I believe Amir has a chance with the heat coming in, he is used to it from living and playing in a really hot country... anyways, no one really expect him to win, but lets see him give some effort! GL shari!

AceKingHigh
    Going for the Win!

DO NOT BET ON Shachar Peer!!! LOL I actually rallied with her a few years ago! anyway, she really sucks.. she isn't what she used to be a few years ago... DON'T touch her... I was against her in the 1st round and I'll probably fade her again this round... Just my 2 cents... she needs to get EXTREMELY HOT with her form to win another match.. this girl is mehhhh

12 Last